David Luiz

the wes

I mentioned David Luiz earlier on and it should be underlined that he had a fine game in midfield against Liverpool. His pass helped set up a goal and he was a dominating presence throughout. He has had a period out injured, so to come in for 90 minutes of midfield graft at this level and intensity was asking a lot, but he certainly didn't let anyone down. There was a great pass to Samuel Eto'o in the second half in the 'inside-right channel' that nearly put him through and it is just great to see him in there with his quality when needed.

An extract from Pat Nevin's latest report, hope Jose is taking note!

I was always in the camp

I have always been firmly in the camp that he should play in defense but I agree with your post. With Terry performing this well, the current squad composition, and having seen his superb performance against Liverpool, I would also play him in midfield. Alongside Ramires with Hazard and Oscar in front of him. It will require a lot of positional discipline from all players but also a great combination of physical strength, players that can do a lot of kilometres and technical ability.

I am quite suprised that Lampard is getting that many games of Mourinho. Would really favor Luiz there now that he's back.

Fair play fella, think you are not alone in your original opinion, i concur that i would play Rami alongside him mainly due to his endless energy but I would interchange with Mata and Oscar depending on who we play. Unfortunately I cannot see jose playing him there unless his hand is forced.

Since last season he doesn't make big mistakes like the seasons before,but now,like today,many little errors are in his game.If David is able to stop this,he could became a wordclass defender for years,but to reach this level he needs to change something.<br /><br />Gesendet von meinem LG-P710 mit Tapatalk<br /><br /><br />

I think main problem with Luiz is his partner. That is what makes difference between his performances for Brazil (with Silva) or Chelasea (Terry). Terry is good defender, but he is way past his best and main problem is his mobility. On other hand, Silva is just on peak and a great mobile CB with lot of energy, speed and organization. I believe Terry isnt same leader of defence he once was, and there could be reason why Luiz isnt as effective as he is in brazil.

A fine example is Pique. When Puyol was still world class CB (in years after Pique arrival back from ManU), Pique was nearly world class CB, despite he was younger. As soon as Puyol started to decline, Pique become worse aswell. Puyol was giving him leadership, coverd up more space and was more reliable even if Pique would make mistake, Puyol could fix it. But Puyol got old and Pique had no proper CB alongside, thats why he was much worse defender.

There are two types of CBs: one are leaders (Terry, Puyol, Silva) and second are those who are world class only if they play next to leaders (Carvalho,Pique, Luiz).

I think Luiz will be realy good only if he will play next to someone who is natural leader and in his best years, a reliable and confident CB. Luiz has little self improvement left, but it matters a lot to hin with who he plays. That makes him world class (along Silva) or just average/good (along Terry who is past it).

Why is David Luiz now playing as DM?

I thought Mourinho did not like this before?

What changed?

Very strange this one .Mourinho did say Luiz was not a midfielder ,but that was when he first came back and reading between the lines I believe he was told that by people at the club,as you can see he is now playing there and in my opinion he is very good as our DM and I believe Jose has let performances dictate where he plays and not hearsay .

In my opinion Emenalo wants his Nigerian mate to have that spot to himself and Mourinho has seen that Luiz is a much better D/M .

Why is David Luiz now playing as DM?

I thought Mourinho did not like this before?

What changed?

After Liverpool game Mourinho said that he thinks Mourinho is a good DM, but for the style the wants the team to have, he thinks Luiz is not the kind of DM that would suit this playing style.

It seems Mourinho want a DM like Lampard, someone with attacking instincts.