David Luiz

the wes

That's something i really "hate" about us. We never do any 'deals'. We could of bought vertonghen and Dembele for 24? M pound.

A bit late in response but Vertonghen in hugely over rated, his goal scoring covers up some glaring defensive frailties. Dembele tho i do agree with.

A bit late in response but Vertonghen in hugely over rated, his goal scoring covers up some glaring defensive frailties. Dembele tho i do agree with.

Exactly.

It is like the Vermaelen situation all over again.

A defender comes from Ajax to a top level club in England, scores a few goals and suddenly everyone is raving about him.

Vermaelen was also in the team of the year in his first season. We all know how that has turned out.

What some people need to realize is that the reason Luiz is sometimes played as DM isnt because he's not a good CB, it's because he is so much better than our DMs as DM. Which is rather pathetic. Just shows how bad we need a new player there.

TBH, I think Vertonghen has had a fantastic season. He made couple of errors earlier in the season but apart from his attacking instincts, some of his defensive abilities have been fantastic. I remember watching the game against City and Vertonghen did not give their strikers a sniff. Also in the 2-1 win to Arsenal earlier in the season he was my MOTM for sure. Was a dominating presence. Take into fact that he has been asked to do jobs from his normal position, he has done very well and also he was voted POTM in April IIRC.

Chelsea's results with David Luiz in PL 2012-13

When David Luiz started in defense

Games played: 22

Wins: 14

Draws: 5

Defeats: 3

Goals for: 40

Goals against: 18

Win percentage: 63.6%

Loss percentage: 13.6%

Points per game: 2.13

Goals scored per game: 1.81

Goals conceded per game: 0.81

When David Luiz started in midfield

Games played: 7

Wins: 5

Draws: 1

Defeats: 1

Goals for: 19

Goals against: 5

Win percentage: 71.4%

Loss percentage: 14.2%

Points per game: 2.28

Goals scored per game: 2.71

Goals conceded per game: 0.71

When David Luiz did not start

Games played: 9

Wins: 3

Draws: 3

Defeats: 3

Goals for: 16

Goals against: 16

Win percentage: 33.3%

Loss percentage: 33.3%

Points per game: 1.78

Goals scored per game: 1.78

Goals conceded per game: 0.81

Was just gonna post that :), it insinuates we'd go after Varane, I'd love to have him here! But no way do I want David Luiz gone. Nor do I think he'll leave, just more DM rubbish probably.

The funny thing about that is first they said Barcelona could go after Vermaelan and then in their picture caption, they say we want him. Typical rubbish from Daily Fail.

Mourinho had issues with Marcelo and his defensive abilities when he took over at Real but he soon sorted it so who knows? Mourinho could take Luiz to another level.

Doubt Luiz will be sold anyway. Hes vital to us now a days.

If we are going to play more attacking and possession football then I think players of Luiz's capability are ideal for us.

He is a great ball playing defender, I like how composed he is on the ball, instead of just clearing it like a normal defender he isn't as one dimensional, he can get the ball going forward.

I do actually believe in his own way he creates goals as he is the one keeping the ball in and giving the opposition more pressure by attacking them as much as possible. Rather than just clearing it and giving the opposition the ball back with a throwing or corner or even there defence.

If Mourinho does indeed join, I think it's unlikely that we'll be playing attacking possession football...unless he's changed his footballing philosophy. Think it'd be direct counter-attacking / protect lead at all-costs style football.