David Luiz

the wes

Or like he just flew half way across the world, played 2 matches in one week then flew back a couple of days before the match.

Not excusing for his mistake at all but TBH, I have no idea why Mourinho chose to play him (as well as Ivanovic & Ramires) yesterday. Luiz and Ramires just came back from the far east and only trained since Thursday while Ivanovic also played over the international break though obviously not in the same place as the first two. Anyway, it's clear that all 3, if not at least 2 of them, are definitely starting against Schalke on Tuesday and yet Mourinho doesn't rotate/rest them especially when we had reliable options to come in. Instead, he flogs them to death...

Not excusing for his mistake at all but TBH, I have no idea why Mourinho chose to play him (as well as Ivanovic & Ramires) yesterday. Luiz and Ramires just came back from the far east and only trained since Thursday while Ivanovic also played over the international break though obviously not in the same place as the first two. Anyway, it's clear that all 3, if not 2, are definitely starting against Schalke on Tuesday and yet Mourinho doesn't rotate/rest them especially when we had reliable options to come in. Instead, he flogs them to death...

Most coaches tend not to rotate defenders only midfielders and attackers

Not excusing for his mistake at all but TBH, I have no idea why Mourinho chose to play him (as well as Ivanovic & Ramires) yesterday. Luiz and Ramires just came back from the far east and only trained since Thursday while Ivanovic also played over the international break though obviously not in the same place as the first two. Anyway, it's clear that all 3, if not at least 2 of them, are definitely starting against Schalke on Tuesday and yet Mourinho doesn't rotate/rest them especially when we had reliable options to come in. Instead, he flogs them to death...

Agree about Luiz and Ivanovic but Ramires is our most important player right now, we have enough problem's with the pivot with him playing let alone without.

He needs to play as many games in the League and CL as possible until January then hopefully we can sort the pivot once and for all.

Most coaches tend not to rotate defenders only midfielders and attackers

Mourinho has said as much about not rotating the back 4 as much as he does with the attacking players because he wants stability in defence. I can understand his reasoning behind it. However, it's silly to stick with the same back 4 all the time when it's clear some players need rest especially after an international break and moreover, it's not like our defenders are alien to one another that they need time to get to know each other's game. They have been playing with each other, in a different 4 now, for at least a season now and has done generally well in defence.

Agree about Luiz and Ivanovic but Ramires is our most important player right now, we have enough problem's with the pivot with him playing let alone without.

He needs to play as many games in the League and CL as possible until January then hopefully we can sort the pivot once and for all.

Don't disagree with your point about Ramires but if we continue to play him so much right now, I'm afraid we may risk of having a half-tank Ramires heading into this winter period and him suffering a burnt out or even an injury. For a player of Ramires's abilities and strengths with energy, pace, stamina, he is at his absolute best when he's fresh. A 25-50% or less than that Ramires is not exactly effective and gonna do us any good.

Don't disagree with your point about Ramires but if we continue to play him so much right now, I'm afraid we may risk of having a half-tank Ramires heading into this winter period and him suffering a burnt out or even an injury. For a player of Ramires's abilities and strengths with energy, pace, stamina, he is at his absolute best when he's fresh. A 25-50% or less than that Ramires is not exactly effective and gonna do us any good.

True, what upcoming matches (along with Arsenal) would you suggest resting him?.

This would have been the time where Van Ginkel would have got his fair share of games, what a shame, we are basically back to the pivot of last season but with Essien as the emergency 4th option instead of Luiz.

True, what upcoming matches (along with Arsenal) would you suggest resting him?.

This would have been the time where Van Ginkel would have got his fair share of games, what a shame, we are basically back to the pivot of last season but with Essien as the emergency 4th option instead of Luiz.

Unfortunately, only the Arsenal game looks like a possible one to rest him. The rest looks too important to leave him out. Just a shame we have made a mess of sorts in our Champions League group. <_< Can only hope somehow he doesn't play for Brazil in next month's international friendlies.

Unfortunately, only the Arsenal game looks like a possible one to rest him. The rest looks too important to leave him out. Just a shame we have made a mess of sorts in our Champions League group. <_< Can only hope somehow he doesn't play for Brazil in next month's international friendlies.

This may sound crazy, but if it comes down to it i would rest him for a CL game (if he really, really needs one), our priority this season has to be getting back on the wagon as far as a title challenge is concerned, the cup's (CL included) come a distance second for this season atleast.

This may sound crazy, but if it comes down to it i would rest him for a CL game (if he really, really needs one), our priority this season has to be getting back on the wagon as far as a title challenge is concerned, the cup's (CL included) come a distance second for this season atleast.

Crazy indeed...

I don't think Mourinho is gonna forego the Champions League in any way and it would an embarrassment if we crash out of the group stage, again, for the second straight season especially when we are in an easier group this time around.

Not sure why everyone is having a pop at him - I thought we all understood that this is who David Luiz is.

Did anyone see anyone with a surprised look on their face in the ground yesterday? Was it more of a look of 'not again' that people had? We all love his personality and his commanding performances, but he's going to do this once in a while. Everyone's seen those loveable puppies who are full of personality but one day they're going to shit on the rug. What they need is a strong owner to keep those instances limited but it's going to happen again so let's not go to nuts on him right now because you need something in the tank for the next time he does it.

Since Luiz makes plenty of mistakes, I still think his contributions outweighs his mistakes.

We all know, Luiz is not like JT or Cahill who are the old English school of defending.

Despite of it, Luiz can pass a ball, bring it forward & certainly can score from set plays.

Then, my question:

What´s better to defend first or let him play the way he has since he came to Chelsea ?

Since Luiz makes plenty of mistakes, I still think his contributions outweighs his mistakes.

We all know, Luiz is not like JT or Cahill who are the old English school of defending.

Despite of it, Luiz can pass a ball, bring it forward & certainly can score from set plays.

Then, my question:

What´s better to defend first or let him play the way he has since he came to Chelsea ?

Defend first (he's a defender....clue's in the title).

I think Garry Neville put it perfectly. The EPL and the English "pundits" are not used to defenders like Luiz. It's a cultural difference and no one style has to be wrong and the other right.

I think that shows a complete lack of understanding of English football. Which pundits are you referring to? One of the harshest critics has probably been Alan Hansen, so are you saying he's not used to defenders like Luiz???

You can reference these defenders who might have aspects of Luiz's game, but they were switched on guys who defended first. I don't know if Luiz couldn't be bothered on Saturday or was just having an off day, but this is who he is. He will make mistakes that will lead to goals. He'll also look like the best defender on Earth sometimes.

I think Garry Neville put it perfectly. The EPL and the English "pundits" are not used to defenders like Luiz. It's a cultural difference and no one style has to be wrong and the other right.

Yes, I agree about the styles of play, but I would not place too much weight on Gary C.

So far & in most cases it was compensated for Luiz´s mistakes. Having said that, it may not work every time.

If Chelsea plays, let´s say in the semis of CL against much stronger teams, the team might be screwed royally.

Yes, I agree about the styles of play, but I would not place too much weight on Gary C.

So far & in most cases it was compensated for Luiz´s mistakes. Having said that, it may not work every time.

If Chelsea plays, let´s say in the semis of CL against much stronger teams, the team might be screwed royally.

agreed. It'd be inexcusable if he were to make such a mistake against a top side in a tough CL or EPL match.

However, so far, what we've seen is that he becomes more composed in more important matches. That has been the case for both Chelsea and Brazil so it's not like we don't have enough evidence of that. I'm including here one CL final and one Confederations Cup final (against Spain) where he was close to MotM.

It's not just the international break though; he does display the swagger in these type of matches, against smaller sides. That will have to beaten out of him the hard way I'm afraid. I've seen this before and it comes naturally when players are that good - impeccable technique. His first touch and passing are out of this world esp considering he is a CB. I've watched many great footballer play live back in Brazil, but was genuinely impressed when I saw David play the friendly against Roma.

agreed. It'd be inexcusable if he were to make such a mistake against a top side in a tough CL or EPL match.

However, so far, what we've seen is that he becomes more composed in more important matches. That has been the case for both Chelsea and Brazil so it's not like we don't have enough evidence of that. I'm including here one CL final and one Confederations Cup final (against Spain) where he was close to MotM.

It's not just the international break though; he does display the swagger in these type of matches, against smaller sides. That will have to beaten out of him the hard way I'm afraid. I've seen this before and it comes naturally when players are that good - impeccable technique. His first touch and passing are out of this world esp considering he is a CB. I've watched many great footballer play live back in Brazil, but was genuinely impressed when I saw David play the friendly against Roma.

Well, Luiz is impressive when it works. If it doesn´t, he is liability.

I am a supporter from the older school. I like to see him staying back or one more mistake, I´d benched him.