David Luiz

the wes

I just got one question to people who think we will/should sell Luiz.

Who the hell is supposed to take over his spot?

Terry has been absolutley great, but he doesnt have many seasons left.

On the bench or in midfield? In midfield I'd choose Matic.

As third choice defender, why not Zouma? Why not Ivanovic? Maybe even one of Kalas or Omeruo.

right because when Terry picks yet another injury that he's been so prone in the last couple of years, or when one between him or Cahill collects a 6th yellow card and any of those things happen to be before an important match we should just throw Zouma or Kallas there, let's say, against Liverpool.

It seems like an amazing plan imo...

On the bench or in midfield? In midfield I'd choose Matic.

As third choice defender, why not Zouma? Why not Ivanovic? Maybe even one of Kalas or Omeruo.

Huh? How can he be on the bench or midfield if he is sold?

As to the last sentence, if Zouma is the 3rd defender, who are the other two if Terry is injured for instance?

Why not Ivanovic is easy. Mourinho doesnt play him there even once, and he will ALWAYS be our first choice RB.

Kalas or Omeruo? Allow me to laugh please...

Huh? How can he be on the bench or midfield if he is sold?

As to the last sentence, if Zouma is the 3rd defender, who are the other two if Terry is injured for instance?

Why not Ivanovic is easy. Mourinho doesnt play him there even once, and he will ALWAYS be our first choice RB.

Kalas or Omeruo? Allow me to laugh please...

You said 'who the hell is supposed to take over his spot?'. I asked to which spot you were referring, his spot on the bench or his spot as a DM. We've signed Matic so its less likely he'll play in midfield.

So I assume you mean his spot as third choice defender, and for that I'd probably go with Zouma next season.

If Terry is injured then I'd start Cahill and Zouma and move Ivanovic to third choice. That's based on us getting a left-back in the summer (hopefully Shaw) and being able to play Azpi at right-back more often.

right because when Terry picks yet another injury that he's been so prone in the last couple of years, or when one between him or Cahill collects a 5th yellow card and any of those things happen to be before an important match we should just throw Zouma or Kallas there, let's say, against Liverpool.

It seems like an amazing plan imo...

Against Liverpool? I dunno. Can we trust Luiz in defence against a team as good as Liverpool?

How many games as Luiz played as a centre-back since November 2nd (or the last THREE months) in the league?

You said 'who the hell is supposed to take over his spot?'. I asked to which spot you were referring, his spot on the bench or his spot as a DM. We've signed Matic so its less likely he'll play in midfield.

So I assume you mean his spot as third choice defender, and for that I'd probably go with Zouma next season.

If Terry is injured then I'd start Cahill and Zouma and move Ivanovic to third choice. That's based on us getting a left-back in the summer (hopefully Shaw) and being able to play Azpi at right-back more often.

Against Liverpool? I dunno. Can we trust Luiz in defence against a team as good as Liverpool?

How many games as Luiz played as a centre-back since November 2nd (or the last THREE months) in the league?

I'd be much more confident about him there than Kalas or a newly-signed Zouma, who will only be available next season.

Terry isn't getting any younger and I'm very thankful he didn't pick an injury this season (and I hope it stays that way), but six months from now he'll be six months older and we don't know how long Cahill's form will last.

Cahill is at his best form of his career at age 28. If he's peaked at age 28, then why can't Luiz too? That right there should invalidate your pragmatic theory that Luiz is too old to improve. Cahill did. Everyone with two eyes (and even without any football knowledge) can watch vids just from last season and this season and see Cahill improved a lot. We don't know how long that will last (again I also hope it stays that way for a long time), so what's wrong with having a strong contingency plan?

And people should be convinced of something that Mourinho said many times: Luiz isn't for sale. I'm not saying Chelsea won't accept a bid for him. But since pre-season and in both transfer windows Mourinho has been emphatic on turning down bids for him, saying he isn't for sale and that he won't leave. That was never how Mourinho talked about Mata or de Bruyne - both of which he said he'd like to keep, but that could leave if they saw fitting. The only way I can see Luiz leaving now is if he puts a request to leave or if we receive 40m+ bid for him. And the reason why Mourinho won't release him as easily as he's released Mata and de Bruyne is simply because he knows that if something affects Terry's or Cahill's good form, or if Luiz regains his form again, he has the right man for the job...

Luiz has made wonderful matches for us in the 3 years he's here, against Liverpool including, so if he's in form, I don't see why he shouldn't play. Regardless of his form though, to say Zouma or Kalas (!) should be higher in the picking order for such a match is nonsense.

I'd be much more confident about him there than Kalas or a newly-signed Zouma, who will only be available next season.

Terry isn't getting any younger and I'm very thankful he didn't pick an injury this season (and I hope it stays that way), but six months from now he'll be six months older and we don't know how long Cahill's form will last.

Cahill is at his best form of his career at age 28. If he's peaked at age 28, then why can't Luiz too? That right there should invalidate your pragmatic theory that Luiz is too old to improve. Cahill did. Everyone with two eyes (and even without any football knowledge) can watch vids just from last season and this season and see Cahill improved a lot. We don't know how long that will last (again I also hope it stays that way for a long time), so what's wrong with having a strong contingency plan?

Cahill has been a fairly consistent, unspectacular player for much of his career and I don't think he's massively changed from that. He's playing under a better manager in a better, more solid system and he's simply carried on doing the simply things he's always done fairly well.

David Luiz is the same player he was when we signed him, except he hoofs the ball out a little bit more than he used to. Under Mourinho he's been dropped twice and seen more time as a midfielder in the last few months.

But who knows, maybe Luiz can peak in a year's time. That might be around the time he gets a start in defence next.

And people should be convinced of something that Mourinho said many times: Luiz isn't for sale. I'm not saying Chelsea won't accept a bid for him. But since pre-season and in both transfer windows Mourinho has been emphatic on turning down bids for him, saying he isn't for sale and that he won't leave. That was never how Mourinho talked about Mata or de Bruyne - both of which he said he'd like to keep, but that could leave if they saw fitting. The only way I can see Luiz leaving now is if he puts a request to leave or if we receive 40m+ bid for him. And the reason why Mourinho won't release him as easily as he's released Mata and de Bruyne is simply because he knows that if something affects Terry's or Cahill's good form, or if Luiz regains his form again, he has the right man for the job...

If Barca come in with the £30 million bid that was rumoured a while back, why not let him go? We have midfield cover now in Matic and a bright young prospect with amazing potential in Zouma.

Here's the thing....you talk about Luiz in terms of potential, but the guy is 26 and is making the same boneheaded mistakes he made when he was 23. Where's the progression? Where's the ability to learn?

I would honestly take Zouma over him as third choice centre-back next season and use the money to invest in other areas.

Luiz has made wonderful matches for us in the 3 years he's here, against Liverpool including, so if he's in form, I don't see why he shouldn't play. Regardless of his form though, to say Zouma or Kalas (!) should be higher in the picking order for such a match is nonsense.

It's not nonsense to suggest we sell a DEFENDER who has played in defence TWICE in the last THREE months in the league.

It's not nonsense to suggest we sell a DEFENDER who has played in defence TWICE in the last THREE months in the league.

and when have I ever said we shouldn't sell him? I'm just saying Mourinho won't release him as easily because his case isn't that similar to Mata (although there are some similarities). It's one thing to say we should sell him and it's another to say I don't think we will. All my posts in the subject here fit the latter.

For a good amount of money I think we should sell him, but we should also sign another more experienced CB to replace him simply because of what I just said, Terry being prone to pick injuries and Cahill having a dig in form (just like Luiz had) would leave us short in the position and the current replacements would impact the team negatively.

and when have I ever said we shouldn't sell him? I'm just saying Mourinho won't release him as easily because his case isn't that similar to Mata (although there are some similarities). It's one thing to say we should sell him and it's another to say I don't think we will. All my posts in the subject here fit the latter.

For a good amount of money I think we should sell him, but we should also sign another more experienced CB to replace him simply because of what I just said, Terry being prone to pick injuries and Cahill having a dig in form (just like Luiz had) would leave us short in the position and the current replacements would impact the team negatively.

There's also Ivanovic though.....

I'm really curious to see what Mourinho plans on doing with Luiz. Right now Cahill is in the form of his life and Terry has been our most consistent centre back. Is Luiz going to be happy sitting on the bench and just being a rotational option?

Terry, Cahill, Zouma, Ivanovic, Omeruo, Kalas.

That to me is sufficient centre-back cover. I really do like Zouma and although we talk about his potential I think he could contribute like Varane did at the same age for Madrid.

There's also Ivanovic though.....

I'm really curious to see what Mourinho plans on doing with Luiz. Right now Cahill is in the form of his life and Terry has been our most consistent centre back. Is Luiz going to be happy sitting on the bench and just being a rotational option?

I don't like him as a CB... and neither does Mourinho. But the same Mourinho said he wouldn't play Luiz in the midfield (which is also my opinion) and he's played there a few matches. So maybe Mourinho would go back in his words, because I think if Luiz is sold (which he won't at least until the summer), Mourinho might be more willing to give Ivanovic a chance rather than deploying newly arrived Zouma or Kalas there.

Terry, Cahill, Zouma, Ivanovic, Omeruo, Kalas.

That to me is sufficient centre-back cover. I really do like Zouma and although we talk about his potential I think he could contribute like Varane did at the same age for Madrid.

Maybe you're right about Zouma. I'd still prefer us to sign another proper and experienced CB if we part ways with Luiz.

btw, if I were to choose a future for Luiz based on how much I like him and forget about Chelsea, I'd say sell him asap. He's lost his joy of playing, it's been a very complicated months for him here, I think with time it may even affect his production in the NT (which is never of my concern, but I'm sure is his #1 priority). So he deserves to go somewhere he'll be appreciated and his style of defending is too. I think he's deflected right now and in a bad place, so if I had to support a decision based on his feelings and on my feelings for him, I'd say, get rid of him. But I still think it's better for Chelsea to keep him, even if he's deflected, sad, miserable as he looks lately.

Seems you have forgotten Luiz's ability completely just because he's been off form and Cahill has been in the form of his life. That's the only reason Luiz isn't playing because Cahill getting dropped would make no sense right now as he doesn't deserve it.

Can we trust Luiz against a team against Liverpool? Tell me, when was the last time Luiz made a mistake in a big game? And how many mistakes has he made in big games in general... You won't find many at all.

At the end of the day it is not just down to his on field performance but off field ideas as well. He is definitely a useful player for us, but with his value atm being 30m min and him being used sparingly by Jose, is this worth it to keep him? As we seen with Mata, who is at the very peak atm, that players who got no use for Jose(or very little) will get sold, especially if they are worth big bucks.

6 years ago sure Luiz would never be sold until he wants out, but now with all these FFP craps we actually need to think about economical reasons as well. So the question is not whether we should sell Luiz but whether IT IS WORTH IT TO KEEP HIM IN TERM OF THE SITUATION. I mean we don't find a lot of expensive players like him and Mata sitting around for important games yet still worth big bucks.

At the end of the season, unless he suddenly becomes indispensable. I could see Jose selling him tbf. Not because he hates him, but just that he cannot afford to have someone like him sitting on the bench and us needing money to sign other more useful players to Jose like Shaw and Costa.

From reading this thread, I get the feeling that we almost want Cahill's form to dip so that Luiz can get back in the teamsheet

Probably a bit harsh :)

Think people are trying to work out Luiz's long term prospects

I'm glad for once we have healthy FORM based competition and people aren't an automatic shoo-in because that makes players hungry

I think it's way too early to see and judge Mourinhos plans - as a team we are more consistent now and I like that.

Luiz will get his chance to impress :)