David Luiz

the wes

Reading the last through pages of this thread... There's this common misconception that the English love this big, strong defender who's technically inapt but will get their body in the way, it's not true.

We don't love these warrior-type defenders, they do the job, which is defending, if they have the technical ability on the ball than that a plus. Bobby Moore, Englands most famous defender, was stylish on the ball, he read the game very well and his positional sense was fantastic. He was not this big, strong, neanderthal type defender who's technically poor but will put their body on the line.

David Luiz was never slated for his ability on the ball, it was his defending. When Luiz first came the the league he was tactically poor, his decision making was awful, clumsy, poor at reading the game and honestly on the verge of getting sent off every game. Reading the last few pages, some people make him out to be this total defender who had it all, i'm sorry he didn't.

pachman40, in particular, making out that Chelsea changed his style for the worse, it's nonsense. He's definitely a better player now, but more importantly a better defender.

I hate it as well, but I do wonder, isn't that him trying to be the kind of player that will be appreciated by English fans and pundits? Isn't this kind of seriousness and clearance that people in England like? I'm in no way being ironic, I think maybe he doesn't know how to find balance or what people expect from him, so he's just trying to keep it simple and doing a few things that I don't think are necessary at all. I'm not defending him at all, I'm trying to understand him - and even then can't say I do.

He was was booting the ball away in midfield, i'd understand if we was getting pushed back and there was no other options other than kick the ball out. But he was under no pressure at all. It was very strange, I've never seen someone in midfield do that before :lol:

He was was booting the ball away in midfield, i'd understand if we was getting pushed back and there was no other options other than kick the ball out. But he was under no pressure at all. It was very strange, I've never seen someone in midfield do that before :lol:

It's the result of him being scrutinised for trying to keep possession. Before, him not clearing it was a problem. Now it's the other way around.

Yeah. That was fucked up logic. Just buys few seconds before United can regroup and attack again. Unless it is 94:55 in 5 mins of added time, I don't think booting up should even be considered

It's the result of him being scrutinised for trying to keep possession. Before, him not clearing it was a problem. Now it's the other way around.

This was in midfield under no pressure

Reading the last through pages of this thread... There's this common misconception that the English love this big, strong defender who's technically inapt but will get their body in the way, it's not true.

We don't love these warrior-type defenders, they do the job, which is defending, if they have the technical ability on the ball than that a plus. Bobby Moore, Englands most famous defender, was stylish on the ball, he read the game very well and his positional sense was fantastic. He was not this big, strong, neanderthal type defender who's technically poor but will put their body on the line.

David Luiz was never slated for his ability on the ball, it was his defending. When Luiz first came the the league he was tactically poor, his decision making was awful, clumsy, poor at reading the game and honestly on the verge of getting sent off every game. Reading the last few pages, some people make him out to be this total defender who had it all, i'm sorry he didn't.

pachman40, in particular, making out that Chelsea changed his style for the worse, it's nonsense. He's definitely a better player now, but more importantly a better defender.

My qualm with Luiz is that he is almost too good a footballer, in terms of his technical abilities (which are incredible), to be a defender. It means he is over elaborate and complicates things - instead of being hardwired to thump the ball upfield the way someone with less technical competency, such as Cahill, does, he knows he can either do that - or - he can dribble the ball out of danger or try and play some kind of hollywood through-ball. Yes he can be very impressive, but I prefer my defenders to do the simple things. But I suppose that is the goalkeeper in me talking, as anyone who tries to dribble in and around my penalty area is sure to get an "accidental" punch the next time my team defends a corner.

Luiz performance indeed was poor and the yellow card was rather unnecesary, but everyone is saying Luiz gets himself in danger with his tackles. In over 280 professional games, Luiz has never been sent off. Never. This is quite remarkable for a CB. He knows what he is doing, even though his challenges are often poor like they were yesterday,

Luiz performance indeed was poor and the yellow card was rather unnecesary, but everyone is saying Luiz gets himself in danger with his tackles. In over 280 professional games, Luiz has never been sent off. Never. This is quite remarkable for a CB. He knows what he is doing, even though his challenges are often poor like they were yesterday,

Surprising.

You sneaky git Luiz :P.

Seriously!

I feel like I remember him being sent off :D With those tackles and his aggression one would think he has been. Good job Luiz

Yup, he's a lot more intelligent than people give him credit for. I mean, Mou let him play the full 90, he trusted him and he repaid his trust. He's just a super aggressive player and I think he was ok yesterday. I just think it was mistake starting Luiz and Ramires together because they both lack positional discipline and go chasing after the ball.

David Luiz the innovator and trend starter. What can't this man do? he must have the limitless pill stashed in his drawer at home.