David Luiz

the wes

Amazing performance by David Luiz 4!

Him and Matic are just incredibly strong and dynamic in midfield. Awesome to see how much more versatile we are now with Matic in the side. Ramires and David Luiz, Frank Lampard and Mikel...that should give is the strength required in the DM area for next years Champions League.

Started terribly, but credit to him, he really grew into the match, especially after we got the lead and ended up having a good game. Imo, the dynamism and energy of Luiz and Matic compared to the static Toure and Dimichelles is what won us the match.

Just to emphasize this...

David Luiz played 4 games in the midfield for us and we've won them all.

Liverpool (H), Hull (A), United (H), and City (A)

Not easy matches either.

While I agree and think he did great .... The same problems arise from time to time: self-discipline and deliberation.

Good thing is that you need a lil less of it in a Cm role. Which is great, because his dynamics come much more into the picture. Flanked by Matic his 'wilder' style seems to activate the Cm beast mode we lacked for so long. Still: the discipline and 90' focus needs to be more than just 80/20. I have confidence Luiz will do it under Mou.

You gotta now really start thinking of turning him into a defensive midfielder. We have people complaining about Ramires' technical ability, well Luiz is pretty much a bigger Ramires with the technical ability required of a CM. Plays just like him on defence, chasing the ball, countless fouls but offensively he can also pick a pass. People keep saying he lacks discipline but I don't buy it, yeah he flirts with danger often but he's played in the PL for a while now and he's never got a red card. Dude is aggressive but he's smart enough to either get away with it or calm himself down to avoid getting red cards.

If he's ok with it, we have to give serious thought into making him a full-time midfielder and backup CB.

I still like him better as a CB but he hasn't performed a match as a CB this season as good as this one like a MD.

He was simply brilliant today and he opened my eyes that bringing Matic was just the first time into world domination (lol). With a guy with a little bit more class (and David has more class and touch in the ball and vision than Ramires) we simply put the best pivot in the league to shame. We need a partner for Matic as good as himself and while I don't think David is that guy, he's showing us that with an improvement from Ramires playing by Matic side, we'll be very hard to play against. Very good defensively and his ball for Hazard today in that Etoo woodwork (Luiz started the play) was simply amazing.

Each to their own regarding where he should play, I prefer he plays in midfield because he possesses all the attributes that I feel we have lacked as a team since Ballack left, additionally I love his attitude - some on here slated him after his performance against Man U, a little over exuberant yes but he simply bullied the life out of their midfield, he might come across as the 'happy go lucky cheeky chappie' but underneath all that there is an unbelievable steely determination to win and that is something you simply cannot teach.

I'm not going in to his abilities in midfield - done that before but I will just say that Jose is selecting him in there for the big games and that says it all, contrary to what has been said he doesn't need Matic to make him look good, he has produced some fantastic performances without him, however it would be very ignorant of me to say that Matic didn't assist his performance against City, I thought they complimented each other brilliantly and a key ingredient to us winning that game.

Now there has been a lot posted on here about him being sold etc, however what these peeps don't understand is that if David is sold we will have to replace a CB and a DM too, how much would that cost us? I've always said he is a footballer not just a defender, his versatility is a massive bonus too and another string to his bow which many do not give him enough credit for, José had Essien to do this job first time around so I think he likes this in David and something he will use to his advantage as the season goes on, unfortunately despite his successful and encouraging performances as a DM I don't think José will play him enough in there.

I don't agree with you Barb's that we need someone else for that position but I'm happy to be proved wrong.........I just hope he is not sold in the summer.

He isnt effective in final third like Pogba, Vidal or Toure are...i dont think Luiz could be regular DM here, he is more an option to use when required. He did well though, lot of power and pressing, but his passing isnt that good either (good for CB, but not CM).

A Comment on luiz.

David Luiz may very well be a world class international centre back, but in the Premier League and perhaps at club level as a whole he is entirely suited to this box-to-box dynamo role. His aggression, passing ability, comfort on the ball and overall strength are the very basis of a dominant central midfielder. I would love to see Mourinho persist and work with him to fully develop some subtlety and his decision making because he would be a monster if everything clicked. He tackles, intercepts and drives forward with the ball when the opportunity arises. These are natural traits within his game and eerily similar to Juventus Arutro Vidal.
The next sentence is incredible however David Luizs discipline in midfield was exceptional. Yes. That is correct. How many times did David Silva move into the pocket and expose Chelsea? How many times did the commentary team mention that Silva could not escape Luizs attention? Luizs ability to close down passing lanes and stick to Mourinhos rigid instructions were phenomenal. While perhaps not quite at the level of Essien on Gerrard in the Champions League, his nullifying effort was stellar.
I want David Luiz in my midfield under Mourinho. I want him kicking people, barging people, smashing through Touré and looking to play the ball quickly when he gets it. I want him to continue to form what looks like an exceptional understanding with Matić and grow into a dominant midfield pairing. I want Luiz to continue showing that drive, aggression and tactical understanding and become Mourinhos midfield general. He has everything in his game to become a world class central midfielder it is now up to Mourinho to see whether he persists with Luiz there and sees through this brilliantly nuanced deployment

There'a a lot of debate about Luiz playing in a midfield role (i almost quoted a few of them from a couple of pages back) mostly saying he looks like a CB playing as DM, not natural and not especially well.

Some people say that? I guess they haven't seen Phil Jones or Demichelis playing in midfield.

Was a very very good display from him Monday Night, Him and Luiz really look like they are a good partnership and bully teams in the middle. My god its been a while since we bullied a midfield like we did on Monday night, It was like the days of Essien, Ballack and Lampard all over again.

Rafa/Jose know best. All over the place defensively tonight keep him at DM unless it's unavoidable.

indeed and that's the amount of risk it takes to win big.

Yes, Terry would've been a more solid option with better aerial and blocking. Luiz didn't do the offside line well enough and that's going to become a problem as he moves to midfield and then back to defense. Why should've played with a more solid backline against newcastle at the bridge?

Take for example the 2nd goal: Luiz (bad?!) instincts made him move to the left, even though Chelsea was not completely out of the woods yet. Still it paid off because he was there to quickly pull the counter, which found willian in pace.

There was another play where Luiz sets up Hazard with an absolutely perfect 50 yard pass.

The decision of when to play luiz in defense, or in the middle, or not at all depends really on Mourinho's tactics, obviously. Aside from WH game, Jose seems to get this better than any other manager. Look at what happened to Arsenal when they started with a single holding mid away from home - if you can call Arteta that....

In contrast with WH match, this was a perfect line up to beat a weaker side into oblivion, which is exactly what happened.

He wasn't up to his best again - it was more less the same we've seen from him this season.

I still believe he's very useful for us, and we need him.

A few matches - as a CB - could help, but it was clear how much we've missed JT today, so I think we can cope with his sub-par season for the rest of it, and next season is a clean slate for him, especially after the WC where I expect him to do very well. Hopefully he'll be highly motivated and we'll be able to see the best of him playing for us.

For now, he's clearly our third CB - but still very, very useful.

He wasn't up to his best again - it was more less the same we've seen from him this season.

I still believe he's very useful for us, and we need him.

A few matches - as a CB - could help, but it was clear how much we've missed JT today, so I think we can cope with his sub-par season for the rest of it, and next season is a clean slate for him, especially after the WC where I expect him to do very well. Hopefully he'll be highly motivated and we'll be able to see the best of him playing for us.

For now, he's clearly our third CB - but still very, very useful.

I dont get it...

A clean sheet, comfortable win and Newcastle didnt have much on us. Solid defensive play and yet you critisize Luiz.

What did/didnt he do according to you? How was he worse than Cahill this game? What after this game streghten your belief that hes our 3rd choice defender?