Roman Abramovich Thread

3 minutes ago, Vesper said:

2nd richest after the Saudis

half a trillion or so (I think the 360 billion usd is on the light side)

(the Saudis are worth WAY more (in toto) than the 1.4 trillion usd figure I see tossed about, but it is so split up)

Can only think about Kuwait since the other Arabs royal families like Saudi, UAE, and Qatar already owned Newcastle, City, and PSG.

1 minute ago, Hermione said:

Isn't Larry Ellison the owner of IW Masters that's being played this week or am I mistaking him?

yes

he is the Oracle founder

pure genius

he is too conservative for my taste politically, but nothing like the Ricketts fam

wish he was 10 years younger, but being 77 adds urgency

I was really hoping  a 40yo Swiss, Guillaume Pousaz, would bid

fintech

he has shot up from £8 billion to almost £20 billion in the past year or so

Checkout.com Founder Guillaume Pousaz Now Europe’s Richest Tech Billionaire After New Fundraising

Billionaires You'Ve Never Heard of #10: How Guillaume Pousaz Built a Tech  Company Without Knowing How to Code - Aure's Notes

Edited by Vesper

Boehly’s group seems to have by far the most comprehensive package from those we know publicly. They seem to be coverage every base.

I’d be genuinely shocked if it isn’t them at this point.

17 minutes ago, Blues Forever said:

omg

FUCK Goldman Sachs

close to the biggest financial criminals on the planet

along with Deutsche Bank and JP Morgan Chase

arffffffffffffffff

I am sure our Greek fans (amongst many others) just love hearing this

2 hours ago, Vesper said:

I do NOT like this

I do not want a fucking cookie cutter discount stadium (as the reason any option is so expensive is that it is London, and not just any London, West London, and its expensive as fuck to do any work, so a billion quid LONDON stadium versus a 2 billion quid London stadium is going to be massive)

that Abramovich plan is still, even 4 years on, the best (well maybe the 2 giant stadiums in Madrid (Real) and Barca, post renovation, may technically be more impressive as they are damn near 100,000 cap, but we do not need 100K cap, we would never (or almost ever) sell it out, 60-65K is plenty), and most unique plan I have seen

it was damn near perfect for us and for London, as it was a stone temple to football, and very uniquely English old Perpendicular Gothic inspired

I think we would just need to see what the plans are if they were to come in.

The plans for the project under Roman looked incredible but there was an incredible amount of jumping through hoops for years, and the project is so complex it would likely be the best part of half a decade, maybe more with complications, that we'd be in a different stadium.

At some point practicalities over aesthetics might be necessary for budgets, timescales, etc. The fact if any new owner could present us with the opportunity to have a modern, 60k seater stadium in West London would make it THE place people will want to go, events will want to take place, etc. 

1 minute ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I think we would just need to see what the plans are if they were to come in.

The plans for the project under Roman looked incredible but there was an incredible amount of jumping through hoops for years, and the project is so complex it would likely be the best part of half a decade, maybe more with complications, that we'd be in a different stadium.

At some point practicalities over aesthetics might be necessary for budgets, timescales, etc. The fact if any new owner could present us with the opportunity to have a modern, 60k seater stadium in West London would make it THE place people will want to go, events will want to take place, etc. 

maybe so, but I am going to be a pure cunt on this one

I am not a happy camper at all if we go all cookie cutter and end up with a shithole like Arse has now (say the 2032, 2035 equivalent)

I detest the Emirates, it is fucking hideous

8 hours ago, Vesper said:

omg

FUCK Goldman Sachs

close to the biggest financial criminals on the planet

along with Deutsche Bank and JP Morgan Chase

arffffffffffffffff

I am sure our Greek fans (amongst many others) just love hearing this

That's my biggest fear regarding to this forced sale now after my thoughts have sorted out.

I really don't want to rain on anybody's parade, even though I've been doing that since the beginning of the season.

Some weird sense of sadness related to this club followed me through entire season. Roman is gone, but who is coming? I don't buy, for the second, thought of us getting another Glazers or Kroenke. We can't. We are not Arsenal or Man UTD or LFC. . We don't have large fanbase that has been here trough thick and thin for generations. In England and abroad. Majority of our fanbase is relatively young. And spoiled. They are used to success. If we slip down the table they will switch to lighter blue shirts.

As a club, the only, I mean the only way to have us operating without loss is:

- getting the right football experts on the board who will buy excellent players for decent prices, preferable younger ones, incoming stars.

- using our academy properly

- making sure we go far in every competition.

- getting a bigger stadium with bigger matchday revenue, but only if we accomplish previous points. If not, effect will be dissatisfactory.

Roman failed to do the first point right after 2010. Lots of money wasted with little results in the League papered with two magical CL nights. When would we win the league again? I'm not so sure, even with Tuchel. The man got Lump,  as his only reinforcement, and when he really needed to be backed (wingback injury crises), he wasn't. We are losing defenders. At least Rudiger could have been wrapped up long before, but having Lukaku and Werner on big salaries was bigger priority for this board. I'm not sure we were going places at all. We have become cup team for the seventh season in the row. And we would stay that way at best.

New owners, investors will analyze our incomings and outcomings. They will see that top four and CL are essential.  They are not buying Chelsea fc to make us midtable team. It is called losing money. Losing investment. We can't survive midtable . City can't either. Nufc can. Lfc could. Mutd can. Arsenal can. Chelsea fc can not. If new owners are interested in Chelsea football club we have every chance to be even better off.

However, if these investors are interested in land under Stamford Bridge, we are screwed.

With the bits of news information being leaked in the last 24 hours regarding Candy and Coe, it just goes to show that even an owner on these shores could just as easily open up a can of worms.

Not one will be perfect.

I'm starting to believe the two American bids will be the most solid ones. From what has been reported both have made enquiries/bids previously for the club which means they have likely done significantly more research and due diligence than other parties who have had only a couple of weeks.

Reports suggest both are well financed to prepare to sort out the ground, both will be prepared to invest in players and the club's infrastructure and both eye a lot of potential for growth in our commercial activities. I would also expect these deals to be able to go through extremely quickly which is also what we need right now. 

The Ricketts bid has a couple of red flags but the kids seem to have distanced themselves from their dad's comments regarding muslims and have made efforts within those communities to repair that damage. So long as the dad isn't directly part of the purchase, I don't see why this should be such a big issue. It would be like me being unable to get a job because my dad committed a murder or something of a similar nature. That should have no bearing on me.

The more bigger red flag is that most Chicago Cubs fans aren't too enamoured with the Ricketts family. With their bid however I'm keen to know just what Griffin's influence is. If he's willing to bankroll the operation, it could be a completely different situation to the Cubs.

Boehly's bid for me still seems to be the most sound from a financial position and seems perhaps the least controversial so far. He comes across very well, speaks very passionately and his track record with the Dodgers is positive. I think someone like this would look at the Liverpool model of trying to create a more stable environment in the coaching and playing staff at the club, but I also think if a player has been identified that fits the requirements, he won't hesitate to push the boat out to get that player.