Roman Abramovich Thread

7 minutes ago, Pizy said:

There’s is genuinely a ton of interest in buying the club. Like, there seems to be a frenzy.

For that reason I’m actually surprised that there isn’t some lone tech billionaire who wants a shiny new vanity project. It’s all consortiums. Someone like Steve Balmer (former Microsoft guy) who recently bought the LA Clippers for $2.5B seems like the sort of guy who would be interested.

As we're getting closer to the Friday deadline, some more people and consortiums seem to be popping up in news outlets.

I wouldn't put it past someone ending up with us who hasn't even been mentioned yet.

10 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

From what it appears Joe Ricketts won't be involved in the Chelsea purchase, it's his son.

The Ricketts is a family trust. Tom does all the talking to the press but the 2.3B is attributed to Joe, not Tom. You really cannot separate them as much as Tom is trying to do so right now.  

2 hours ago, Pizy said:

Someone like Steve Balmer (former Microsoft guy) who recently bought the LA Clippers for $2.5B seems like the sort of guy who would be interested.

almost 8 years ago

Following the Donald Sterling scandal in May 2014, Ballmer was the highest bidder in an attempt to purchase the Los Angeles Clippers for a reported price of $2 billion, which is the second highest bid for a sports franchise in North American sports history (after the $2.15 billion sale of the Los Angeles Dodgers in 2012). After a California court confirmed the authority of Shelly Sterling to sell the team, it was officially announced on August 12, 2014, that Ballmer would become the Los Angeles Clippers owner.

5 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Unless I'm misremembering this, Roman is challenging the decision to sanction him in the first place. That means the government would have to keep the proceeds of the sale available to be returned to him should he win.

Thanks i didn't know that. It is just strange there is a bidding war for a club that was seized by the government. 

5 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

As we're getting closer to the Friday deadline, some more people and consortiums seem to be popping up in news outlets.

I wouldn't put it past someone ending up with us who hasn't even been mentioned yet.

Yep. My thinking (if not Boehly) but there is talk now that Boehly and Wyss consortium is not sorted! That's guy who broke the interview story claimed it was week or so back

I really think Candy is out.  Seems its Ken Griffin who is funding the Rickett's bid, which would make him owner, would it not?

Edited by ChelseaFanUK

34 minutes ago, ChelseaFanUK said:

Yep. My thinking (if not Boehly) but there is talk now that Boehly and Wyss consortium is not sorted! That's guy who broke the interview story claimed it was week or so back

I really think Candy is out.  Seems its Ken Griffin who is funding the Rickett's bid, which would make him owner, would it not?

A couple of things I've read about Ken Griffin, he seems to be a pretty big football fan but he's got no experience in the field of sports teams which is perhaps why he's decided it mitigates any risks if he's going in with someone who does have that experience. It has been reported that previous experience dealing/running a sports team would also be looked at favourably so it makes a lot of sense if this would be the reason.

1 hour ago, Superblue_1986 said:

A couple of things I've read about Ken Griffin, he seems to be a pretty big football fan but he's got no experience in the field of sports teams which is perhaps why he's decided it mitigates any risks if he's going in with someone who does have that experience. It has been reported that previous experience dealing/running a sports team would also be looked at favourably so it makes a lot of sense if this would be the reason.

My take on it is Griffin funds the bid, and arguably acts like an underwriter, injecting money and funds when needed, the Roman role, of course.  Ricketts family run the sporting operations.  The Buck, Tenenbaum roles etc

Lot of people on twitter digging out Ricketts history of awful allegations, but im not sure if that is simply in part because they're desperate for Saudi's to win.  Im not sure if it was the father who was subject of the bad media.    Which may explain why the talk today is that his son will be involved, not the father

Keep seeing talk of a “super consortium” and quite frankly it scares me. As they say, having too many cooks spoils the broth.

Hopefully we get something done with a leading figure and not X amount of idiots who may want or expect different things as having great leadership upstairs is everything in an organisation. 

London Olympics chief Coe has joined ex-Liverpool chairman Sir Martin Broughton's bid.

Broughton, who announced his intention to buy Chelsea over the weekend, told the BBC "I am absolutely delighted to welcome Lord Coe to our bid. His reputation speaks for itself, and he will bring phenomenal insight, leadership, and sporting knowledge to Chelsea Football Club."

His group is expected to submit a bid in the next 48 hours.

Coe said he was "certain that Sir Martin is the right man to lead Chelsea Football Club into its next chapter" citing his "exceptional track record in British business".

Coe added "most importantly, like me, he is a lifelong Chelsea supporter and Shed End season ticket holder. I know that this bid is for the millions of Chelsea fans around the world. We love our club and will always put the fans first".

Broughton, 74, is a former British Airways chairman and now chairs private investment firm Sports Investment Partners. He was briefly Liverpool chairman in 2010.

Those close to the consortium declined to tell BBC Sport who was financing the bid or who else was involved.

Coe would take a seat on the Chelsea board if Broughton's bid is successful, according to the PA news agency.

3 hours ago, DH1988 said:

Blue tinted glasses of course, but the ownership possibility for Chelsea is just so lucrative, West London, Kings Road etc. I'm not talking profits of course, it's all status.

Rightly so. We are the hottest and most fashionable club in the country. Best part of the best city. Plus we are European and world champions. Truly a global brand. In every other country in the world they would kiss our feet like Germany does with Bayern, Spain with real, france with psg etc.

Don't get me wrong, I love the country, the British people and culture. But sadly it is governed by corrupted dimwits who are Dipper and ManUre fans with their heads stuck in the past on top of that. It is disgusting how this is true for all institutions in the public and in the sporting sphere. Sanctions on oligrachs may well have their justification but to let us bleed as club is an obvious mix of sadism, malice and incompetence.

It does not really matter who we get as owner they will always try to shame and discriminate against us. We might well not be as successful in the near future but the club has survived more hardship in its 117yr history and will live on. Younger fans like me might not have experienced periods like that before but going through some very rough patches is part of being a fan. I am not going anywhere.

Edited by Magic Lamps