Roman Abramovich Thread

1 hour ago, Superblue_1986 said:

The issues that United and Arsenal have found are nothing to do with money in my opinion, it's management.

The Glazer's and Kroenke's shouldn't need to be regularly present at games or at the forefront of the club. Not many football owners are. We haven't done too bad despite Roman barely turning up to watch a game in the last 4 - 5 years. But Roman put a structure of people in place to run the club well in his absence. 

This is what Arsenal and United have lacked.

Arsenal's net transfer spend over the last 5 seasons is over £100m more than ours and United's is well over double. They do spend money, they just haven't spent it well. Arsenal are starting to show some signs of buying what are turning out to be some decent players alongside some good young academy players, and rightly or wrongly they've given full backing to the manager to make decisions on his squad and transfers. Some big names have been bombed out in the last couple of years that they haven't been afraid to write off to be fair to them.

I've mentioned previously, for the sum we're looking like being purchased for, I just cannot see how a new owner won't be prepared to continue investing in the club and squad to keep us competitive and challenging for trophies. A drop off could cause a significant impact to the club's value. What is important is when we do spend money, spending it well and getting the right people and players in. We ourselves are guilty just like United and Arsenal of wasting a lot of money on player transfers but our management structure and squad are both better as a starting point.

One of the shocking yet highly effective catalyst to our cabinet being awash with trophies, has been the casual discarding yet fruitful policy of multiple managers sacked and replaced. The compensation packages alone have run into hundreds of millions - this has been borne on Abramovichs shoulders -something no US hedge fund consortium would consider imo. 

'Jostling for position around Chelsea are men who have already invested heavily in Los Angeles Dodgers, Los Angeles Lakers, Chicago Cubs, Boston Red Sox, New York Jets, Los Angeles Rams. They are across NFL, baseball, basketball, no different to the Fenway Sports Group, the Glazers or the Kroenke family. They are in it for the money. Sure, the glory, too, but mainly because that is where the money is.

Whoever wins the Chelsea auction will not be content with mid-table. But the days when the owner was less interested in the balance sheet than the trophy cabinet are done.'

29 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

One of the shocking yet highly effective catalyst to our cabinet being awash with trophies, has been the casual discarding yet fruitful policy of multiple managers sacked and replaced. The compensation packages alone have run into hundreds of millions - this has been borne on Abramovichs shoulders -something no US hedge fund consortium would consider imo. 

'Jostling for position around Chelsea are men who have already invested heavily in Los Angeles Dodgers, Los Angeles Lakers, Chicago Cubs, Boston Red Sox, New York Jets, Los Angeles Rams. They are across NFL, baseball, basketball, no different to the Fenway Sports Group, the Glazers or the Kroenke family. They are in it for the money. Sure, the glory, too, but mainly because that is where the money is.

Whoever wins the Chelsea auction will not be content with mid-table. But the days when the owner was less interested in the balance sheet than the trophy cabinet are done.'

I think most Chelsea fans are accepting that we will no longer have an owner like Roman. However it should be pointed out that despite the huge amounts that Roman has outlaid on the club, he's actually looking at selling for somewhere around a billion profit. Man City's owners could probably point to a similar position themselves in that the value of the club now outweighs the huge amount of money that has been invested into the club.

Some of the people looking to buy the club, especially foreign investors with no affinity towards Chelsea, could easily look at a club lower down the league as a longer term investment. Newcastle only cost £300m and already have good capacity at their ground. It would take a number of years potentially to build a club up from a lower position but then again, an investment in Chelsea with the stadium, etc is going to be a much longer term investment too.

The premium being paid for Chelsea is the brand. It's already there and already established. But if someone can carry on maintaining the success of the club, potentially growing it commercially (especially in the US if we end up with American investors) and sort out a bigger stadium there's nothing to say that the club couldn't be worth 2 - 3x it's current value in 10-20 years time.

That's the issue with the stadium. We can expand it to what, 60,000 capacity? in 30-40 years time, 60,000 capacity is going to be small in comparison. With the money that continues to soar in football, we would then need to be thinking about relocating, so that 20,000 stadium development would of been pointless. 

15 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I think most Chelsea fans are accepting that we will no longer have an owner like Roman. However it should be pointed out that despite the huge amounts that Roman has outlaid on the club, he's actually looking at selling for somewhere around a billion profit. Man City's owners could probably point to a similar position themselves in that the value of the club now outweighs the huge amount of money that has been invested into the club.

Some of the people looking to buy the club, especially foreign investors with no affinity towards Chelsea, could easily look at a club lower down the league as a longer term investment. Newcastle only cost £300m and already have good capacity at their ground. It would take a number of years potentially to build a club up from a lower position but then again, an investment in Chelsea with the stadium, etc is going to be a much longer term investment too.

The premium being paid for Chelsea is the brand. It's already there and already established. But if someone can carry on maintaining the success of the club, potentially growing it commercially (especially in the US if we end up with American investors) and sort out a bigger stadium there's nothing to say that the club couldn't be worth 2 - 3x it's current value in 10-20 years time.

Agree that they are buying a successful brand - and they will more than likely be looking to capitalise on that via merch and TV, than winning trophies. There was a reason Chelsea and Citeh were the last to get on board with the Super League - something all the US owned clubs were overly enthusiastic about - The  Super League was all about making a fortune out of football and that's not why the owners of the blue clubs got involved.

26 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

if we end up with American investors) and sort out a bigger stadium there's nothing to say that the club couldn't be worth 2 - 3x it's current value in 10-20 years time.

This maybe true, but it doesnt mean that we will be winning silverware left right and centre, so people better get their heads round that - its negative enough on TC and will only get worse 😜

I do NOT want either the Ricketts or Woody Johnson (and he is not even in a consortium, thus at 'only' around £4bn total net worth, he is not nearly wealthy enough)
both have run their teams (Chicago Cubs and the NY Jets, respectively) like shit, especially Johnson, who would be a fucking disaster
and they are all (except for one of the Ricketts women) RW Trumpian lickspittles

6 minutes ago, Vesper said:

I do NOT want either the Ricketts or Woody Johnson (and he is not even in a consortium, thus at 'only' around £4bn total net worth, he is not nearly wealthy enough)
both have run their teams (Chicago Cubs and the NY Jets, respectively) like shit, especially Johnson, who would be a fucking disaster
and they are all (except for one of the Ricketts women) RW Trumpian lickspittles

Is there anybody yet linked to us that doesn't have a public political position? I see it's even been reported that Wyss has been supporting political campaigns in the US even when his position I believe doesn't give him the chance to vote over there.

49 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

This maybe true, but it doesnt mean that we will be winning silverware left right and centre, so people better get their heads round that - its negative enough on TC and will only get worse 😜

All the more reason Tuchel needs to be pinned down long term. 

23 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

All the more reason Tuchel needs to be pinned down long term. 

Would be good if he stayed -hard to say that we've had a more dynamic, intelligent manager.

'it's about winning and being the best you can,' Tuchel said about whoever the new owners are.. 'It's not about developing a project, or making money with the club. That's what I hope.'

Hope springs eternal...

‘I am upset’: Potential bidder for Chelsea reacts on IG after latest developments in takeover story

https://peaceloaded.com/i-am-upset-potential-bidder-for-Chelsea-reacts-on-ig-after-latest-developments-in-takeover-story/

Catalina Kim has uploaded a rather cryptic message in response to the takeover process of Chelsea which is currently ongoing.

It was recently revealed that C&P Sports Group, of which Kim is the CEO, had joined Nick Candy’s consortium bid to buy the Blues.

Candy also acquired the services of Hana Financial Group, as he aimed to improve his previous offer of over £2billion (Sky Sports) submitted last Friday.
Evidence of the additional funds has made its way to The Raine Group, the merchant bank in charge of selecting Roman Abramovich’s empire.

A shortlist of candidates will now be drawn up, of which Candy is now likely to be a part of thanks to the South Korean investment.

However, Kim’s recent social media declaration suggested the proposal hadn’t been successful.

In a translated Instagram post, which she has since deleted, the football agent seemingly referenced the move for Chelsea as part of Candy’s team.

“Tomorrow is 2022 and Chelsea’s handkerchief. If it is the end of my move, I am so sorry and sorry to all of those who supported me,” she wrote.

“I am sorry to my partners in the consortium who believed in me and held my hand if we fall. Sign… How did we get here… I am upset.”

What does this mean for Nick Candy?

Make of that what you will, but it certainly sounds like Kim is accepting defeat.

We are yet to hear anything from Candy on this matter, yet the signs from one of his partners aren’t exactly positive.

If the consortium, led by the property developer and Chelsea fan, falls short, then it would clear the way for the other big-name players in the race.

The Ricketts family, owners of the Chicago Cubs, are involved in the bidding war, as are Todd Boehly and Hansjorg Wyss’ joint effort.

New York Jets owner Woody Johnson is also in the running, as are reportedly the Saudi Media Group and global investment firm Centricus.

Take your pick Chelsea fans.

end

IF true,

this sucks, because look at what she was bringing in:

We are very much pleased with our additional investor to the #BlueFootballConsortium. It is another one of the largest finance corporations from South Korea with subsidiaries under such as retail bank, Securities, Insurance, Credit Card, Asset Management, Real Estate Trust, Data Systems etc. They also have an exceptional track record of running significant sports teams.

'The new investor Blue Football Consortium secured has strong ties to big Korean corporations and institutions such as: National Pension Service of Korea (a public pension fund in South Korea, the third largest in the world with $800 billion in assets); Korea Investment Corporation (sovereign wealth fund established by the government of South Korea in 2005 with c. $180m in assets under management), Samsung Group, Hyundai Group, LG Group, SK Group, E-land Group, Kakao Group (IT); Krafton (Gaming), Lotte Group, GS Group, Hanwha Group, Shinsegae Group, NC Soft (Gaming); Smilegate (Gaming) etc.

'The fund will come with strategic partners that every football club needs for its stable and continued success.

Edited by Vesper

51 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Is there anybody yet linked to us that doesn't have a public political position? I see it's even been reported that Wyss has been supporting political campaigns in the US even when his position I believe doesn't give him the chance to vote over there.

those two are the worst of the worst

The Athletic indicated that they heard rumours of a US individual who could finance the deal him/herself (they didn't name him/her (probably because they were spoken to off record.))

In my opinion, those talking loudly in the press do not have much chance. I include Candy/Kim, Centricis and the Broughton/Coe bid in that. People with money generally don't go mouthing off about deals of this magnitude in the press, those that are, are just doing so for the press and/or because they want to draw public support for their bid.

Personally I would say forget those that have spoken quite openly. I mean, anyone remember how Roman came in? Literally wasn't reported until the day or two before the deal was sealed.

This transaction will be more public due to it's notoriety with Russia/Ukraine, however I am sure we will have a shortlist with someone that hasn't been reported yet/has gone very quite/not said much themselves. 

Edited by King Kante

A bid from the Saudi Media Group is not considered to be among the frontrunners for #Chelsea.

The Ricketts family, owners of the Chicago Cubs, are flying to London as part of their bid to buy Chelsea Football Club (via @SkySportsNews ) 

Edited by milka

IF the Ricketts buy us, there is a decent chance I stop supporting the club.

Dead serious.

I cannot stress how ACTIVELY RW, racist, homophobic, misogynistic, xenophobic, pro rentier/rapacious capitalism, pro christo-fascist that family is, and they contribute millions to help spread it politically in the United States. Nebraska  Governor Pete Ricketts is one of the most RW state governors in the US.

All the decades of hard work that Roman did to support inclusiveness, oppose hate and racism, etc, will be put at risk. 

Just putting this out there so all know where I stand, and how serious I am.