Roman Abramovich Thread

The way I am looking at things, the options seem to be: 

1) Take the Saudi money, compete at the top end of the market, but continue to have the media against the club and run the risk of sanctions in future. 

2) Take on the Bohely group and hopefully be run like the Dippers.

3) Take on Woody/Ricketts and be run like Utd. 

4) Take on a fan led offer and go into the unknown. 

2 hours ago, King Kante said:

Take the Saudi money, compete at the top end of the market, but continue to have the media against the club and run the risk of sanctions in future.

We never compete at the top end of the market, we only spend at the top end. Whichever group comes in better grasp that very quickly or preferably already be aware of it.

23 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

We never compete at the top end of the market, we only spend at the top end. Whichever group comes in better grasp that very quickly or preferably already be aware of it.

True. I meant more that the Saudi group will funnel enough cash to spend big (which isn't always a good thing as I can do without Kepa and Lukaku.) 

Be interesting to see the short list. If it goes down to three, be best if it is a mixture rather than all Americans as I suspect only one is capable and the others will pull a Hicks/Gillett or Glazer playbook and see us as a 'franchise'.

4 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I see thanks. It's just curiosity on part because I wouldn't expect non-Brits to phrase a sentence the way you did.

As for the the owners my take is that the following are entry level requirements. It's not that any bidder wins by offering these things; it's that no bid will even be considered unless it includes all of:

• Deep pockets.
  • High calibre, competent, experienced people.
  • Commitment to building a new stadium.
  • Commitment to doing what is necessary to keep CFCM & CFCW competitive domestically and in Europe.
  • Commitment to maintaining Cobham's standards.
  • Commitment to retaining Thomas Tuchel.
  • Commitment to retaining Neil Bath.
  • Commitment to attempting to retain Maria Granaskaia.
  • Commitment to continue the 'good citizen' behaviour the club has stood for under Roman.
  • Commitment to non-executive fan involvement at board level.
  • Commitment to working with the CPO.
  • Commitment to retaining Peter Osgood's statue as a feature of any rebuild whether at Stamford Bridge or elsewhere.

Once the bidders have been whittled down to only those consortia matching these criteria, then we set about deciding which one is the best.

Cracking list.

I'd add the attempt to secure Rudiger to a new contract to that too. Probably Azpilicueta as well. We need all the stability we can get at the moment and whilst he's no longer in his prime in a big game situation I'd still rather have Azpi in the back 3 currently over Trev.

I'd also add to the working with the CPO to extend to the foregoing of the outstanding loan too.

10 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Cracking list.

I'd add the attempt to secure Rudiger to a new contract to that too. Probably Azpilicueta as well. We need all the stability we can get at the moment and whilst he's no longer in his prime in a big game situation I'd still rather have Azpi in the back 3 currently over Trev.

I'd also add to the working with the CPO to extend to the foregoing of the outstanding loan too.

I do believe we have an option to extend Dave's contact an additional year. Which we should. Think he held his own during these past few months at RWB. 

I'd tie down Christensen too if he isn't already convinced to leave. 

We keep seeing conflicting reports on whether Roman has a say on the next owner. If he does have a say I would hope he wouldn’t sell to the cheap Ricketts family whose Chicago fan base hates them for not spending any money. If he doesn’t have a say then it’ll likely come down to who can kiss this conservative governments ass the hardest. Which will probably be Ricketts…. 😒

Help us Boehly-Wan Kenobi. You’re our only hope.

5 minutes ago, Pizy said:

We keep seeing conflicting reports on whether Roman has a say on the next owner. If he does have a say I would hope he wouldn’t sell to the cheap Ricketts family whose Chicago fan base hates them for not spending any money. If he doesn’t have a say then it’ll likely come down to who can kiss this conservative governments ass the hardest. Which will probably be Ricketts…. 😒

Help us Boehly-Wan Kenobi. You’re our only hope.

1 hour ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

It's not a coincidence that some of Chelsea's best players throughout the Roman era have also carried low transfer values.

That's not to say we should just look for budget signings. I believe Havertz will be an absolute top player in time and will repay that investment in him. 

But we have to start buying smarter. The biggest opportunity Roman has given us is the ability to absorb bad buys, with Lukaku unfortunately looking like the next in a long line of them. We may not have this anymore which makes it even more integral that signings will work out over time.

Perhaps with new ownership comes a bit more longer term planning in the transfer market. The right player isn't available? Ok let's keep our powder dry and work with what we have instead of buying an alternative (e.g Lukaku) because they're available.

1 hour ago, Pizy said:

With those racist comments from one of the Rickett’s family member in the last I wonder if we’d instantly see fan protests if he wins the bidding. That would be hugely embarrassing to them…

Looks like they're planning to come to London to visit the CST and CPO which makes me assume (1) they are either extremely confident or have been given strong indications they'll be one of the shortlisted bidders, and (2) at least they are hopefully not living underneath a rock or have no care for being disliked. Getting the support of the CST and CPO will certainly be a starting point if they think this is going to work amid the swell of negative perception to them across social media, especially from across the pond.