Marouane Fellaini

Atholy

When we first became interested in Fellaini, it was as a defensive midfielder. At Everton, he started in that role and did well but they've moved him forward because it's what works best for them.

We actually need a DM.

Why do people think we would be interested in him for any position other than Defensive Midfield?

Suggesting we could get Modric for a similar price is like saying we could get Jack Butland for a third of the price.

We have been interested in many players, but until we make a move then that interest is not considered concrete.

I don't doubt we had scouts watching him, but why didn't we try to sign him? because he wasn't considered good enough? we tried several times to get Modric, after failing why not go for Fellaini?

If we sign him now it will be because of what he has been doing behind the striker at Everton, and then to now put him back in midfield would be stupid for me.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we had a deep midfield maestro like Pirlo or Xabi as we don't have, Fellaini beside him would be a good option. Now, it wouldn't be the best piece of business because Everton won't sell for cheap. Still, I won't object if we do bring him because I've always rated him, and with Mikel going on AFCON, Romeu being injured and Lamps looking to leave, having Marouane wouldn't be that bad for the sake of squad depth.

He is PL proven and 25. Tough as a rock, great aerial ability and before moved forward, one of the best DMs in the league. Wouldn't be a bad transfer really.

Still I would rather have someone more technically gifted with better passing who can also do a good job in defending.

So we should spend £22m+ as an alternative to when we can do?

I do know his ability to play at DM, he did well at Everton before they lot Cahill & Arteta - Where he played that position. However I think it would be a mistake to make him play in that position now, when he's become accustomed to playing further up. We made this mistake with Obi Mikel, he came to us an attacking player. He was outstanding in the u18 World Cup, where he earned more praise than Messi in the same competition. We turned him into a defensive player, which has caused a debate among every set of fans.

Then maybe you are right and we should not buy Fellani, fuck Mikel off and buy a DM bread from birth. :blue scalf:

possesion system = Benat

physical system = Fellani

:ph34r::ph34r:

In fact, we would need both... kinda reproducing Real Madrid's midfield: Xabi/Benat and Khedira/Fellaini ...

We don't have that today. David Luiz as a midfielder is terrible. Mikel could do it, but Fellaini would be a way better box-to-box player.

With the Belgian national team he plays a CM, not a faux-10 or faux-9 like he does with Everton.

For me 22 million for a young proven EPL player of his quality is a no brainer.

Or do you want to persist with Mikel? Or even Luiz "wild thing, wild shots"

Is there anyone else who we could get for the price? Who can adjust to the EPL, who wants to move, and is less than 25 million

How many of you were delighted he missed our match?

your current choices are - an aging lamps, ramires, who has never exactly set the chelsea world on fire, but comes up with the odd good thing from time to time and errr Mikel!

Or Luiz, who is great when given time and space on the ball, but i would say is more freguently a worse midfielder than a defender, and loses the ball more in midfield!

Mikel could do it,

Exactly and we also have Romeu. I'm not fussed about DM position, those 2 should be enough. And then there's Capoue, M'vila etc who would cost much less than 26m for that position.

What i want is someone to take Lampard's place as the deep lying playmaker, and Fellaini is certainly not that.

There's a big problem with that.

All 3 of them could fit well with Mikel because he'll never go off for a run forward, their defensive work would be minimal which would be optimal for those 3.

You could let Fellaini play that role but then I don't see any difference with Mikel, to get the most out of him you need him to make runs into the box which requires a smart player next to him with a good defensive workrate/awareness which neither of those 3 have.

You're saying that Oscar doesn't have a 'good defensive workrate/awareness'? That would be the guy who man-marked arguably the greatest playmaker in European football out of a game in his first start?

As for Mikel, I think he's better than Mikel. I think he's better in the air, I think he's better defensively, I think he works harder, I think he has a much better attitude to the game and I think he has a bit of aggression/steel that's lacking from Mikel's game. I also think he offers a goal threat which is a nice bonus.

However I think it would be a mistake to make him play in that position now, when he's become accustomed to playing further up.

You don't simply forget how to play a position just because you don't play it for a while. He's said he sees himself playing as a DM and I agree. I think we were slow off the mark to sign him from Liege despite De Visser being ahead of the curve when it came to the rise of young Belgian footballers, and we're paying the price now.

We have been interested in many players, but until we make a move then that interest is not considered concrete.

I don't doubt we had scouts watching him, but why didn't we try to sign him? because he wasn't considered good enough? we tried several times to get Modric, after failing why not go for Fellaini?

If we sign him now it will be because of what he has been doing behind the striker at Everton, and then to now put him back in midfield would be stupid for me.

We didn't sign him in 2008 because the price was a little too high for us and we had changed formations slightly under Scolari.

Instead we bough Deco and Bosingwa. It's fair to say that us missing out on Fellaini was one of a number of daft moves that year.

I fail to see how moving him to a position where he could be effective for us would be stupid. Putting him in goal I can understand being silly. Putting a player who was outstanding in the DM role back in the DM role after a brief sojourn forwards seems like a savvy move.

In fact, we would need both... kinda reproducing Real Madrid's midfield: Xabi/Benat and Khedira/Fellaini ...

We don't have that today. David Luiz as a midfielder is terrible. Mikel could do it, but Fellaini would be a way better box-to-box player.

With the Belgian national team he plays a CM, not a faux-10 or faux-9 like he does with Everton.

He could be useful for a plan B. Especially if opponents are physical and stuff, but deep in me i really want a deep lying playmaker first, and then fellani can come as a plan B

When we first became interested in Fellaini, it was as a defensive midfielder. At Everton, he started in that role and did well but they've moved him forward because it's what works best for them.

We actually need a DM.

Why do people think we would be interested in him for any position other than Defensive Midfield?

I agree, we do need a DM. However I just feel that Fellaini is not the answer to that problem. For now, with Mikel at the ACoN, our midfield will have Luiz alongside Lampard. This doesn't work for me either, however I don't believe that Fellaini with Lampard or Luiz would work either. Another thing to remember is, if Fellaini takes up the no6 role then Luiz will find his way back into the centre-back position - which will be a gamble after the license he's been given to roam free.

The problem with picking up players from Everton is that they place their players in positions that not only excel the player but also fit in with the dimensions of the squad. Our style and Everton's aren't similar at all. Which is why Baines is a big question mark in terms of a Chelsea transfer (for another day, this one). For the price it's also huge gamble, and don't forget Fellaini's temperament either.

I do believe he's a truly class player, however that doesn't necessarily mean he's right for us.

Putting a player who was outstanding in the DM role back in the DM role after a brief sojourn forwards seems like a savvy move.

Outstanding? i have rarely ever seen anyone describe him as that when he played in the position. And if he really was outstanding then surely the 20m+ Everton would've wanted wouldn't be a problem and some club would have gotten him.

Exactly and we also have Romeu. I'm not fussed about DM position, those 2 should be enough. And then there's Capoue, M'vila etc who would cost much less than 26m for that position.

What i want is someone to take Lampard's place as the deep lying playmaker and Fellaini is certainly not that.

Romeu can't walk at the moment. Granted that wouldn't stop him being much worse than Mikel, but still I think he'd probably have some long-term problems if we played him in the next 6 months.

Mikel simply isn't good enough. Never has been, never will be.

And then there's unproven flavour of the month number one, all aboard the shiny bandwagon number 2....

Lampard isn't a deep lying playmaker. He's deep lying but he doesn't make enough plays. It's why we tried to replace him with Modric. Unfortunately we couldn't get him so we went for Oscar instead. Plus we have McEachran and De Bruyne. I'd rather try one of them in that role first, and admit we fucked up by not signing Fellaini 5 years ago.

He's one of very few players who has the ability to do what he does. He's also done it in the Premier League too and buying him has the added benefit of weakening a rival.

Every fuckin journo says he is very good. Every manager from Saf, Wenger, Rafa,...praises him. United, City, Arsenal are all interested.

Now you saying he wont be good here?! Lolwut?!

I mean, if I would be picking between Benat and Fellaini, i would take Benat. But if there is chance of both, why not? Benat will easily replace playmaking when Mata will be of pitch and Fellaini will add lot of firepower to this team. Besides we need option in dm along Mikel and Romeu and this guy is it. He can also play anywhere in midfield. Maybe even CB or striker :)

You don't simply forget how to play a position just because you don't play it for a while. He's said he sees himself playing as a DM and I agree. I think we were slow off the mark to sign him from Liege despite De Visser being ahead of the curve when it came to the rise of young Belgian footballers, and we're paying the price now.

I understand that, however don't you think that he would be more inclined now to experiment with moving up the pitch? The most crucial part of being a good defensive midfielder is having the discipline to stay back and protect the team from an impending counter-attack. With Mikel gone, the risk is enormous when Fellaini goes venturing forward, because then we have no-one who's going to be able to come back and protect the defense.

Every fuckin journo says he is very good. Every manager from Saf, Wenger, Rafa,...praises him. United, City, Arsenal are all interested.

Now you saying he wont be good here?! Lolwut?!

No-one's denying he's good. He is. But you don't just buy a player because he's 'good', you buy a player based on what the team needs. Chelsea don't need him.

He could be useful for a plan B. Especially if opponents are physical and stuff, but deep in me i really want a deep lying playmaker first, and then fellani can come as a plan B

he would be useful for stoke etc thats true, but its chicken and egg.

By saying we need a playmaker says a lot about the failure of Mata and Co to create chances, and of course, a lot more about the failure of Torres to create chances himself and indeed finish any chances, get into the right positions and take more shots. His single handed failure to score then puts us under pressure as we are left to wondering where the goals are going to come from.

Hopefully Ba, will prove the missing link adn just what we have missed from a striker, making runs, taking shots, following in etc etc.

We need a play maker for when we are starved of the ball and need a plan B to create chances.

We need Fellaini to help us get control in midfield and drive forward. Lets face it, Mikel is not going to improve now is he? Romeu is still unknown and Josh could take years before he reaches "chelsea" level.

If we had a deep midfield maestro like Pirlo or Xabi as we don't have, Fellaini beside him would be a good option. Now, it wouldn't be the best piece of business because Everton won't sell for cheap. Still, I won't object if we do bring him because I've always rated him, and with Mikel going on AFCON, Romeu being injured and Lamps looking to leave, having Marouane wouldn't be that bad for the sake of squad depth.

He is PL proven and 25. Tough as a rock, great aerial ability and before moved forward, one of the best DMs in the league. Wouldn't be a bad transfer really.

Still I would rather have someone more technically gifted with better passing who can also do a good job in defending.

I can see why, at this moment, it seems like a great idea. However I still think the club should be patient in the pursuit of a DM. I hate using this word, but we are in the 'transition' which means transfers shouldn't be done a. On panic & b. Without a second thought of who else might be out there.

Fellaini has the ability to walk into most squads and play nearly every game, but not this team, we're not set up for his type of game. And so to buy him for what's being reported, just for squad depth, is an injustice to both player and club.

Outstanding? i have rarely ever seen anyone describe him as that when he played in the position. And if he really was outstanding then surely the 20m+ Everton would've wanted wouldn't be a problem and some club would have gotten him.

Fellaini did not look anything like a £15m player against Manchester City. He looked worth more as the young giant's transformation continued, helped by finally being played in the position Moyes bought him for.

He ruled Goodison Park from his favoured midfield anchor role on Saturday, giving a near flawless display that he capped with a Zinedine Zidane-style dragback that left Craig Bellamy chasing thin air and was afforded the accolade of a spontaneous and deafening standing ovation.

Bellamy was gracious enough to congratulate Fellaini on embarrassing him as the Belgianflourished once more away from the spot behind the striker that he occupied with mixed results last season.

Fellaini was assured in possession, instrumental at seeing and dealing with any City danger and posed a goal threat, particularly in the air as shown by one late header that was clawed on to the woodwork by Shay Given.

Gone was the player who could at times look a lost and lonely soul in games, replaced by a confident and dominating presence that helped Everton give City a going over that is not reflected in the scoreline.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philmcnulty/2010/01/david_moyes_demonstrated_a_sur.html

Here's the problem I'm finding with a lot of the discussion on Fellaini - nobody seems to have a fucking clue about him before 2012 (and I'm being generous here. I honestly think some people don't have a fucking clue about him besides what they saw last night on FIFA).

Some people don't realise we've had a long association with this guy, that we've been scouting him for a long time and that we were in for him 5 years ago. Everton beat us to the punch. We fucked up.

We now need a quality DM. The discussion about Mikel after over 200 games suggests there's something wrong. I don't remember having the same discussion about Makelele so it's got fuck all to do with some astute minds in the game seeing something the others don't.

Fellaini has shown an ability to produce top quality performances over a consistent period in the anchor role. The problem is that it was a couple of years ago and a 14 year old hasn't cobbled together clips of it and added some fucking Coldplay to it so how on Earth are people supposed to have knowledge of it??

Capoue has youtube montages flowing out of every orifice, each more sparkly than the last so clearly he's the player we need.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You