Marouane Fellaini

Atholy

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you going to be one of those people who moans that we should buy Benat (AKA Flavour of the Month) instead? :D

Fellaini is the flavour of the month for me. I can't comment on Beñat vey much because the La Liga coverage in Australia is shit. All I know about him is that he is good with a FK and has great long passing skills.

I've never rated Fellaini. He is a damn terrible passer of the ball.

Fellaini is the flavour of the month for me. I can't comment on Beñat vey much because the La Liga coverage in Australia is shit. All I know about him is that he is good with a FK and has great long passing skills.

I've never rated Fellaini. He is a damn terrible passer of the ball.

We've been scouting Fellaini for over 3 years now. He's proven himself in this league. I also think his passing skills are tremendously overrated. But having looked at the statistics I do see your point.

Fellaini the terrible passer has a completion rate of 78.1%

Benat (with the 'great long passing skills') has a completion rate of 79.3%.

But to his credit that extra 1.2% of passes that actually reach their target have created an extra 2 assists.

Plus Fellaini's oft-criticised aggression is a black mark against his name.....except Benat does seem to have DOUBLE the yellow cards against his name (10).

Now I'm the first to point to the flaws in statistics, but come on. :blink:

We've been scouting Fellaini for over 3 years now. He's proven himself in this league. I also think his passing skills are tremendously overrated. But having looked at the statistics I do see your point.

Fellaini the terrible passer has a completion rate of 78.1%

Benat (with the 'great long passing skills') has a completion rate of 79.3%.

But to his credit that extra 1.2% of passes that actually reach their target have created an extra 2 assists.

Plus Fellaini's oft-criticised aggression is a black mark against his name.....except Benat does seem to have DOUBLE the yellow cards against his name (10).

Now I'm the first to point to the flaws in statistics, but come on. :blink:

I don't care much for stats or anything like that. I'm talking more about their technique. Benat from what I've seen has tremendous passing technique and goes for a lot of long balls, which can often be intercepted.

Fellaini on the other hand just looks like he jabs at the ball in hopes that in goes in the right direction, he is so clumsy. He often overpowers or underpowers passes and his overall technique is sloppy.

Imagine Mikel and Fellaini in the midfield. That would be so static and within 10 minutes of their match together the forum would go into overload about how much they hate Mikel and Fellaini. I'm cringing just thinking about those two in the midfield.

Defensively I can't really comment on who is superior.

I don't care much for stats or anything like that. I'm talking more about their technique. Benat from what I've seen has tremendous passing technique and goes for a lot of long balls, which can often be intercepted.

Fellaini on the other hand just looks like he jabs at the ball in hopes that in goes in the right direction, he is so clumsy. He often overpowers or underpowers passes and his overall technique is sloppy.

Imagine Mikel and Fellaini in the midfield. That would be so static and within 10 minutes of their match together the forum would go into overload about how much they hate Mikel and Fellaini. I'm cringing just thinking about those two in the midfield.

Defensively I can't really comment on who is superior.

I think Fellani suffers from 'tall man syndrome' where he looks a lot more sloppy than he actually is. You can make excuses for Benat's % being low, but Fellaini plays in a more advanced, congested position and the pass completion % seems to be higher the further back you go as there's less pressure on the ball. I'd also be interested to see if headed passes are included as well because he wins a lot of knock-ons.

So in essence, I think you're completely wrong about him technically. I think you'd be hard pushed to find a current Belgian player who isn't technically sound.

I think having alongside Mikel would be strong, but creatively lacking something. That's why I'd love for him to play alongside someone like Oscar or McEachran. He'd essentially be the enforcer, the third central defender and the point around which the team plays. That pass percentage would leap about 10 points if he was asked to do what Mikel does, but you just benefit from everything else he brings to the team.

Im not sure about this one. for ~£27m you are expecting a key player. He seems to be better used as an attacking midfielder though i would imagine we would use him as a defensive midfielder then stick im in attacking mid during rotation. but i cant see him being worth his money and wages. dont get me wrong, he is good and i think he will be a great bonus for the team, I just dont think its good value for money.

the good thing about Chelsea is that money doesn't matter.... so bring him on i guess! Maybe him an hazard will get along. and lukaku when he returns. The Belgium dip.

Guys, relax (im only saying this because I dont want to see too many people get upset if this turns out to be false).

Fellaini bought a house in Manchester 5 days ago (or something like that). Wouldn't it be crazy if he had to live in London like 7 days later?

I know things happen fast in football and maybe he didn't know about Chelsea 5 days ago, but seriously, it doesn't make sense that we (even without any rumours the last 4 or 5 days) suddenly buy him for that kind og money.

Beside that, I love Fellaini and I love to watch him play because of his style and his hair :)

But where would we use him? He fits well in Everton but I don't know if he is the right answer to our problems in midfield. We need a deep lying playmaker type to play with someone like Mikel (or someone else who can stay a bit back).

I think Fellani suffers from 'tall man syndrome' where he looks a lot more sloppy than he actually is. You can make excuses for Benat's % being low, but Fellaini plays in a more advanced, congested position and the pass completion % seems to be higher the further back you go as there's less pressure on the ball. I'd also be interested to see if headed passes are included as well because he wins a lot of knock-ons.

So in essence, I think you're completely wrong about him technically. I think you'd be hard pushed to find a current Belgian player who isn't technically sound.

I think having alongside Mikel would be strong, but creatively lacking something. That's why I'd love for him to play alongside someone like Oscar or McEachran. He'd essentially be the enforcer, the third central defender and the point around which the team plays. That pass percentage would leap about 10 points if he was asked to do what Mikel does, but you just benefit from everything else he brings to the team.

Don't quote me on this but I'm almost positive that his [Fellaini] passing completion rate was about the same when he playing deeper in the midfield.

Once again don't quote me on, this is SeB's territory.

Him buying a house in Manchester means sweet fuck all! If his new house location was proportional to where he was playing, he would of signed with Man U by now.

Seems people just enjoy to look at something new on the field without actually taking into consideration what the player can bring to the team. i.e Marin, people want him to play 'because he hasn't in a while' or whatever. He hasn't played because he's not that good to start.

Similar scenario with Fellaini, is he actually suited for the team? Probably. Will he make a positive impact? Who knows. Will we have a midfield full of hair? Yes. Is it something new to look at? Yes, that's where I think most people make their decisions on whether we should sign a player or not. Don't want this club to turn out like man city as signing players because we can.

In saying that, with Lampard destind to leave, I strongly suggest we sign him.

I think Fellani suffers from 'tall man syndrome' where he looks a lot more sloppy than he actually is. You can make excuses for Benat's % being low, but Fellaini plays in a more advanced, congested position and the pass completion % seems to be higher the further back you go as there's less pressure on the ball.

His stats were similar when he was playing as a DM, he's not creative, he's not a good passer, he's a destroyer type who is out to win the ball and then lay it off asap.

I actually think that he's gotten worse this year but everyone is so focused on his scoring that they neglect to see how his general play is suffering.

Playing alongside Mikel is impossible unless you're going to play against Barcelona, his pass percentage wouldn't leap 10 points with someone creative next to him though because it's THAT bad, even shocking currently.

I do believe he brings more to the table than Mikel but you need the right player next to him to bring that out, the right player Chelsea currently do not have.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You