Benfica vs Chelsea

BlueLion.

The similarities between Liverpool back in 05 and us right now are startling. Could we ?? Could we actually get the luck we need to win this damn thing once and for all ? I actually think there is a possibility, the most inform team does not always win it !

The differences between now and then? Quite a few, probably the most important one being that the current Barcelona team is, rightly, considered to be one of the greatest football teams in history, ominously it also appears that their great rivals, Real Madrid, have drawn level with them and, arguably, have surpassed them. I don't think Liverpool had to deal with quite the same level of competition.

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very dangerous side, especially at their place. A score draw to take back to the Bridge would be happily taken now IMO.

Torres should start after the disgraceful perfomance of Drogba at the weekend.

Worried aswell if we play Essien and Lampard together they'll be overrun in the midfield.

Cech

Ivanovic - Cahill - Terry - Cole

Romeu - Lampard

Ramires - Mata - Sturridge

Torres

Hoping for this line up, although Romeu has vanished I think he's more suited for this game than Mikel. I don't want to see Drogba anywhere near the first team. And yes, Ramires isn't a winger, but he is by far a better option than Kalou or Malouda.

Cech

Ivanovic - Cahill - Terry - Cole

Romeu - Lampard

Ramires - Mata - Sturridge

Torres

Hoping for this line up, although Romeu has vanished I think he's more suited for this game than Mikel. I don't want to see Drogba anywhere near the first team. And yes, Ramires isn't a winger, but he is by far a better option than Kalou or Malouda.

Are you high? Sturridge can not play left wing! He screwed it up big time vs spurs.

The differences between now and then? Quite a few, probably the most important one being that the current Barcelona team is, rightly, considered to be one of the greatest football teams in history, ominously it also appears that their great rivals, Real Madrid, have drawn level with them and, arguably, have surpassed them. I don't think Liverpool had to deal with quite the same level of competition.

Off topic, but RM are nowhere near the quality of Barça, regardless of the league position. That's not to say they are not enjoyable to watch, but, as exemplified by the difference between Ronaldo and Messi, they just lack that class. It's been a matter of relentlessly getting three points virtually every week, whereas Barça have had missed late penalties, injuries at the wrong time etc. I think they'll still win the CL.

Very dangerous side, especially at their place. A score draw to take back to the Bridge would be happily taken now IMO.

Torres should start after the disgraceful perfomance of Drogba at the weekend.

Worried aswell if we play Essien and Lampard together they'll be overrun in the midfield.

Rightly said....all drogba did ok in the weeknd wer the high balls....but against benfica he should be brought on in the second half to try and nick an away goal....sturro and torres should start up front

Not exactly feeling excited about this game. Hmmm...

You should be.......i know I am gonna be ridiculed for this but chelsea do have a chance of winning the ucl, however slim they may be.....

Once v get into the semis, anything can happen....barca are not exactly ruling the roost in la liga....a couple of.injuries,suspensions in our favor and v r in it big time.....so get excited...

Why do people keep picking up Drogba? He hasnt done much all season and has only performed in a handful of matches.

He is simply not as effective anymore. Even if he manages to hold up the ball, he cant make anything of it, or find a good pass.

He has lost his free kicks ability and pace as well.

He is only a leader when we are winning. He gets the crowd going and all, but if we arent winning, he cant do it anymore.

Hasnt scored too many goals either, 9 goals 3 assists, in all tournaments.

Torres has 6 goals and 8 assists this season.....And he is playing well since a while now.

He deserves to start over Drogba.

Drogba has a great history and WAS known to terrorise defenses, but cant do that anymore.

Age catches up to everyone.

BENFICA 2 CHELSEA 2

TORRES AND LAMPARD

You should be.......i know I am gonna be ridiculed for this but chelsea do have a chance of winning the ucl, however slim they may be.....

Once v get into the semis, anything can happen....barca are not exactly ruling the roost in la liga....a couple of.injuries,suspensions in our favor and v r in it big time.....so get excited...

I'm sorry but with all the recent disappoinments, there's just really nothing to look forward to with excitement IMO except maybe for the FA Cup. Other than that, I'm already looking forward to see what we do in the summer.

Off topic, but RM are nowhere near the quality of Barça, regardless of the league position. That's not to say they are not enjoyable to watch, but, as exemplified by the difference between Ronaldo and Messi, they just lack that class. It's been a matter of relentlessly getting three points virtually every week, whereas Barça have had missed late penalties, injuries at the wrong time etc. I think they'll still win the CL.

Perhaps over 2 legs Barcelona still hold the edge over Real Madrid, over I absolutely believe that over the course of 90 minutes Real Madrid are more than capable of beating Barcelona. This is the finest Real Madrid side since they last won the Champions League, it is arguably one of the strongest squads in the club's history. Yes their style is different to Barcelona's, perhaps they are not as "classy" or as technically beautiful but they have got some sublime footballers (Ronaldo, Ozil, Di Maria, Benzema, Alonso, Kaka ect.) and they have got the best manager in the world at their helm. Given that they cant meet Barcelona at the semi final stage, I think most expect Barcelona vs Real Madrid to be the final and over 90 minutes I think Madrid have every bit as much a chance of winning it as Barcelona do.