Ruben Loftus-Cheek

Tobey Gibson

1 hour ago, chippy said:

In terms of quality, he was second only to Hazard  during the second half of Sarri's season in charge. Fit and strong and finally showing the potential many fans and people in the game knew he had. Then that damn career ruining injury on a pitch that was not fit to play on.

It was only really the final 2 months where he became consistently great, I think Cardiff was the sliding doors moment for him.

We will never know now if that was a true breakthrough or a purple patch.

39 minutes ago, Tomo said:

It was only really the final 2 months where he became consistently great, I think Cardiff was the sliding doors moment for him.

We will never know now if that was a true breakthrough or a purple patch.

True, but he started to get more game time in the second half of the season and as his fitness levels increased he gradually got better and better and in the last couple of months he was playing very well.

22 hours ago, chippy said:

True, but he started to get more game time in the second half of the season and as his fitness levels increased he gradually got better and better and in the last couple of months he was playing very well.

Everything in his career indicates that was a purple patch. 

On 06/11/2019 at 17:15, Henrique said:

I know you are a big Mount fan and you have his pic as your profile and all...but Cheek is just in another level. If Cheek return to the level he was before getting injured then there is no way Mount will play over Cheek on pure merit, because Cheek is better in every aspect of the game. Cheek can boss the midfield, he has great finish, great header, great decision making. There is no comparison between those two players and Cheek fits even more the style Lampard wants.

Aged Well GIF by What We Do in the Shadows

7 hours ago, King Kante said:

Everything in his career indicates that was a purple patch. 

As we know, his career was blighted by injuries and a bad back. Just never got the good run of games he needed to develop. When he finally got some games under his belt at Palace, he gradually started to increase his match fitness and sharpness and was good enough  to come back and be given another chance with us.

A big step up for him to make it, but slowly and surely he started to make his way in the team.

That form showed steady progress over two seasons, so it can hardly be called a purple patch.

Sadly, we'll never know if he would have gone on to be a great player for us.

1 hour ago, chippy said:

As we know, his career was blighted by injuries and a bad back. Just never got the good run of games he needed to develop. When he finally got some games under his belt at Palace, he gradually started to increase his match fitness and sharpness and was good enough  to come back and be given another chance with us.

A big step up for him to make it, but slowly and surely he started to make his way in the team.

That form showed steady progress over two seasons, so it can hardly be called a purple patch.

Sadly, we'll never know if he would have gone on to be a great player for us.

He wasn't that great at Palace. Like all of his career so far, he showed flashes but he wasn't putting in consistent 90 minute performances week to week. Only time he did that was in March-May 2019 however, even then I would say he was still drifting in and out of games but he was just being more productive in the final third which bulked up his stats. 

hace 2 horas, chippy dijo:

When Sarri kept him here when he first came in, regarding the regular posts that Ruben had “done enough at Palace” to be kept here, I wont lie I was hugely disappointed at the time. I mean was he really good enough? Really? He only scored 2 goals, 3 assists and created 5 big chances in 24 games for Palace. I felt that if that is deemed acceptable enough then they should be pulling folk in from the championship to be in the Chelsea squad. 

I thought the whole purpose of the loan system was for rewarding players who had very good seasons? Granted he had that spell here that season, with 4 goals in the Europa League and the 6 in the PL plus some good performances before his injury but clearly it must have been a purple patch. To have played 27 games at Fulham and have 1 goal, 0 assists and 2 big chances created on top of the stats at Palace, for 2 seasons as a PL Footballer in sides where your meant to be one of the attacking players/better players its not good.

On 01/05/2021 at 17:41, OneMoSalah said:

Can see the thinking behind it but Marina will never go for it. Neither will the club. Any player sales this summer will be reinvested into a CF by the looks of it so we will try get the maximum we can for anyone who we want to let go.

I mean look at Marco van Ginkel, guys had so many breakdowns during his time here and never been in the squad since that injury he got v Swindon (IIRc). Theres never ever been any mention of a free transfer for him and he’s repeatedly signed new deals to put the club in a position to gain something from him from a sale.

So cant see it from a more valuable asset as Ruben is homegrown and we all know that adds more money to his price.

MVG contracts are more of goodwill/PR move to show that we care about players and we are not abandoning them in tough moments.

On 04/05/2021 at 01:57, OneMoSalah said:

When Sarri kept him here when he first came in, regarding the regular posts that Ruben had “done enough at Palace” to be kept here, I wont lie I was hugely disappointed at the time. I mean was he really good enough? Really? He only scored 2 goals, 3 assists and created 5 big chances in 24 games for Palace. I felt that if that is deemed acceptable enough then they should be pulling folk in from the championship to be in the Chelsea squad. 

I thought the whole purpose of the loan system was for rewarding players who had very good seasons? Granted he had that spell here that season, with 4 goals in the Europa League and the 6 in the PL plus some good performances before his injury but clearly it must have been a purple patch. To have played 27 games at Fulham and have 1 goal, 0 assists and 2 big chances created on top of the stats at Palace, for 2 seasons as a PL Footballer in sides where your meant to be one of the attacking players/better players its not good.

With resoect, i don't think you're giving RLC enough credit for where he was when he went to Palace and the player he'd become by the time of that dreadful injury.

A player who was clearly not good enough for us. Injury ravaged and going nowhere fast. Over those two years he went from that, to end up playing for England and looking comfortable at that level too. All down to bloody hard work and not giving up. 

Sadly, it looks for all the world now, that the injuries have finally beaten him. I saw him a while ago in a game and he simply wasn't bothered anymore, just walking round the pitch like he was in a daze. Ssd to see!

I can't see any Prem club buying him. Not only that, the way he's going, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he ends up in division one in a year or two.

hace 5 horas, chippy dijo:

With resoect, i don't think you're giving RLC enough credit for where he was when he went to Palace and the player he'd become by the time of that dreadful injury.

A player who was clearly not good enough for us. Injury ravaged and going nowhere fast. Over those two years he went from that, to end up playing for England and looking comfortable at that level too. All down to bloody hard work and not giving up. 

Sadly, it looks for all the world now, that the injuries have finally beaten him. I saw him a while ago in a game and he simply wasn't bothered anymore, just walking round the pitch like he was in a daze. Ssd to see!

I can't see any Prem club buying him. Not only that, the way he's going, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he ends up in division one in a year or two.

I will be honest having seen him at Palace that season he didnt impress me, much of the same as what he’s doing now for Fulham.

You keep saying he got fit and improved but he still only played 24 games for Palace and didnt score or assist anywhere near enough. Theres almost 40 games in the PL he still missed a lot of minutes. He also didnt last 90 minutes most weeks. 

1 hour ago, OneMoSalah said:

I will be honest having seen him at Palace that season he didnt impress me, much of the same as what he’s doing now for Fulham.

You keep saying he got fit and improved but he still only played 24 games for Palace and didnt score or assist anywhere near enough. Theres almost 40 games in the PL he still missed a lot of minutes. He also didnt last 90 minutes most weeks. 

Eight years ago I posted (elsewhere) that Ruben would be lucky to earn a place in a league one team unless he learned to impose his his ability on the game. Three years ago I posted that in the interest of all concerned Chelsea should allow Ruben to find himself a permanent move. That decision is long overdue now. Anyone who watched Ruben as a youngster could see the talent and the physical attributes. Unfortunately after noticing the potential, they would eventually also notice that the package never amounts to anything. He has no future at this level and, as I feared in 2013, I'm afraid he never did.

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

36 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Eight years ago I posted (elsewhere) that Ruben would be lucky to earn a place in a league one team unless he learned to impose his his ability on the game. Three years ago I posted that in the interest of all concerned Chelsea should allow Ruben to find himself a permanent move. That decision is long overdue now. Anyone who watched Ruben as a youngster could see the talent and the physical attributes. Unfortunately after noticing the potential, they would eventually also notice that the package never amounts to anything. He has no future at this level and, as I feared in 2013, I'm afraid he never did.

You wrote this during CL semi final? 😆

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

Serie A would fit his ponderous style of play perfectly. But loan is no good. We should demand at least 25m 

Lazio won't have money to buy him, just loan.