Non-Chelsea Transfer Pub

Hamilton

http://metro.co.uk/2013/03/22/liverpool-eyeing-mamadou-sakho-as-jamie-carragher-replacement-3555473/

What do people think of Sakho? I reckon he's good enough to challenge Cahill/Luiz for a CB spot...

Would hate to see him at Liverpool.

He had great potential but as was mentioned, he seemed to get arrogant and also slightly lazyish. He was linked with Barcelona a few years ago but hasn't really kicked on since tbh. Varane has over taken him as the best under 23 center half. Also I think with PSG signing Alex and Thiago Silva it also hasn't helped him much. If we are too sign a center back we need a 25-28 year old player who can step in right now like Garay (who was linked with us, is a good center back who has improved since being at Real Madrid at Benfica, even though United have apparently agreed a 17m deal) and play at a very high level already unlike Zouma, who as talented as he is, isn't what we need at this moment as he still needs work.

Also on the rumors we are eyeing up Forster as a quality back up to Cech, I'd happily accept if we get him, hes miles better than Blackman, Hilario and Turnbull. Would he be happy to play as a number 2? Who knows but he'd be a good addition imo. Aren't Hilario and Turnbull's contracts also up in the summer? Probably why we are looking at him in fact, he'd also take up Turnbull's home grown place if he was released.

He had great potential but as was mentioned, he seemed to get arrogant and also slightly lazyish. He was linked with Barcelona a few years ago but hasn't really kicked on since tbh. Varane has over taken him as the best under 23 center half. Also I think with PSG signing Alex and Thiago Silva it also hasn't helped him much. If we are too sign a center back we need a 25-28 year old player who can step in right now like Garay (who was linked with us, is a good center back who has improved since being at Real Madrid at Benfica, even though United have apparently agreed a 17m deal) and play at a very high level already unlike Zouma, who as talented as he is, isn't what we need at this moment as he still needs work.

Also on the rumors we are eyeing up Forster as a quality back up to Cech, I'd happily accept if we get him, hes miles better than Blackman, Hilario and Turnbull. Would he be happy to play as a number 2? Who knows but he'd be a good addition imo. Aren't Hilario and Turnbull's contracts also up in the summer? Probably why we are looking at him in fact, he'd also take up Turnbull's home grown place if he was released.

I don't think Forster will come to Chelsea because he doesn't want to be the backup keeper.

Unless we can guarantee him 30 games a season, he's not gonna take a higher wage to just sit on the bench..

Butland already turned us down cause he was worried about playing time...Forster will probably do the same thing.

Chelsea scouts watched Nathaniel Clyne last Thursday against Romania and are set to make a £7.5m bid for him this summer (Mirror)

Does this mean Ivanovic is going to be a CB from now on? JT or Cahill a mere squad player? Azpi is first choice RB in my eyes. Clyne will be on the bench if we sign him. So either Cahill or JT will probably not get as many games as you'd have thought. Clyne is a good solid RB though, only 21 or 22, has big potential. Surprised he ended up at Southampton and not Man United like what was said last summer. Would be happy with him especially for £7.5 million.

Does this mean Ivanovic is going to be a CB from now on? JT or Cahill a mere squad player? Azpi is first choice RB in my eyes. Clyne will be on the bench if we sign him. So either Cahill or JT will probably not get as many games as you'd have thought. Clyne is a good solid RB though, only 21 or 22, has big potential. Surprised he ended up at Southampton and not Man United like what was said last summer. Would be happy with him especially for £7.5 million.

TBH we already have wallace,kalas and kane for the back-up RB spot and as good a player clyne is i think this might become another glen johnson situation because i really cant see clyne displacing azpi anytime soon.We should be looking at their LB instead.

TBH we already have wallace,kalas and kane for the back-up RB spot and as good a player clyne is i think this might become another glen johnson situation because i really cant see clyne displacing azpi anytime soon.We should be looking at their LB instead.

Wallace turns 19 years-old in less than 40 days. He has only something like 21 professional games under his belt, in two seasons, and respectively 13 and 2 games in U17 and U20 competitions. From this small sample, it's hard to say whether he will be good enough to take a part in the first team next season.

As for Todd Kane, he is 19 and has only played 8 professional games (three of them being in the third division, five in the second division), and eight U19 games. Just as Wallace case, it's likely too early for him to be our right-back back-up.

While Azpilicueta has made his way to the RB spot, Ivanovic seems to have been given another role this year. Indeed, he has been more involved in the center of the defence, starting about 18 games as center back (he has played 41 games this season). Moreover, with Terry decline, he might be even more invovled in this area, especially if we don't buy/call-back a center-back this summer. This means that we might need a cover for the right-back spot. It would be pretentious to think that either Kane or Wallace are ready to do that job, especially if Cesar were to pick up a serious injury, or hit a significant deep in form.

We will probably need a decent backup for Azpilicueta. Someone just good enough to provide a proper cover — not someone to displace Azpilicueta.

That's why Nathaniel Clyne does look like a fine option. If the £7,5m bid were to be high enough to land him, then he would be a relatively cheap signing (plus his wages will probably be not very high). Moreover, he would fit in an home-grown spot — something that we are currently not collapsing under. Finaly, he has played 122 second division games, and 26 Premier League games (starting 26 of them !). He should be good enough to provide cover when called upon. Furthermore, as it stands, he is a more serious option than both Wallace and Kane.

On a side note, buying him would not mean writing-off Wallace/Kane. If they are bound to be very good players, Clyne will do a "stopgap" job (I believe that's what the board might be thinking, if the rumors saying we will go for him are true).

P.S. I am not advocating for us to buy him, not at all, I am just stating why buying him would actually make sens.

We need options in defence. We need more English talent especially if Lampard leaves (HG spots etc.) so I guess this Clyne rumour does actually have a decent chance at containing some substance. Also as mentioned above, Ivanovic looks more likely to be sticking to that central role with Terry's decline. Makes sense.

Clyne (apparently) & Shaw (definitely) are Chelsea fans. SIGN THEM BOTH! I'd love to have an English back-line even if just for one match. Cole/Shaw; Terry, Cahill, Clyne; against some minnow team. That would be domination. Mmm.

Wallace turns 19 years-old in less than 40 days. He has only something like 21 professional games under his belt, in two seasons, and respectively 13 and 2 games in U17 and U20 competitions. From this small sample, it's hard to say whether he will be good enough to take a part in the first team next season.

As for Todd Kane, he is 19 and has only played 8 professional games (three of them being in the third division, five in the second division), and eight U19 games. Just as Wallace case, it's likely too early for him to be our right-back back-up.

While Azpilicueta has made his way to the RB spot, Ivanovic seems to have been given another role this year. Indeed, he has been more involved in the center of the defence, starting about 18 games as center back (he has played 41 games this season). Moreover, with Terry decline, he might be even more invovled in this area, especially if we don't buy/call-back a center-back this summer. This means that we might need a cover for the right-back spot. It would be pretentious to think that either Kane or Wallace are ready to do that job, especially if Cesar were to pick up a serious injury, or hit a significant deep in form.

We will probably need a decent backup for Azpilicueta. Someone just good enough to provide a proper cover — not someone to displace Azpilicueta.

That's why Nathaniel Clyne does look like a fine option. If the £7,5m bid were to be high enough to land him, then he would be a relatively cheap signing (plus his wages will probably be not very high). Moreover, he would fit in an home-grown spot — something that we are currently not collapsing under. Finaly, he has played 122 second division games, and 26 Premier League games (starting 26 of them !). He should be good enough to provide cover when called upon. Furthermore, as it stands, he is a more serious option than both Wallace and Kane.

On a side note, buying him would not mean writing-off Wallace/Kane. If they are bound to be very good players, Clyne will do a "stopgap" job (I believe that's what the board might be thinking, if the rumors saying we will go for him are true).

P.S. I am not advocating for us to buy him, not at all, I am just stating why buying him would actually make sens.

Yeah agree that kane and wallace are not ready and need atleast 2-3 years before becoming usefull squad players but one player who is ready is kalas imo.He has been very good at RB this season for vitesse and overall has had 2 brilliant seasons at vitesse.I would recall him first rather then splash 7.5 on a stop gap.

Kalas is already ready to be a backup for Azpi, he has looked VERY good at Vitesse and I have no doubt he would develop very quickly at Chelsea if played against poor teams to rest Azpi. It would take only a couple games for him to look better than Bertrand, I can guarantee you that.

Also, Ivanovic always CAN play RB if we need him too, it's easy for us to forget he was a top 5 RB in the world a couple years ago. Although his lack of pace is a bit concerning, he would serve in a pinch if something were to happen to Azpilicueta, although I think Ivanovic's strength suits him better as a center back.

If Strootman or Gundogan can reach their potential, eiher of them would be best option in pivot ahead he likes of Moutinho or Modric.

They are both young and posses very balanced play, Gundogan will probably replace Schweini in elf eventualy. But I would first give Kdb a chance or just try 4:3:3 instead.

Guest FullEnglishBreakfast

Clyne (apparently) & Shaw (definitely) are Chelsea fans. SIGN THEM BOTH! I'd love to have an English back-line even if just for one match. Cole/Shaw; Terry, Cahill, Clyne; against some minnow team. That would be domination. Mmm.

I do love seeing an all English back line. Makes me feel all warm inside.