Man Utd 3-1 Chelsea

Fulham Broadway

Lots of people are just focusing on Fernando's miss. Not even you lot but other fans I know. GET OVER IT. He scored, he played well, all strikers miss sitters every now and then! I wasn't even snapping over this game because tbh its still early in the season, it was a good performance, the scoreline doesn't really tell the whole story. I'm just going to stay positive!

:goodpost:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said I hope to see a reaction in the next game...

Its great to see the fans keeping their chin up, and also for the mancs and the genuine sports pundits (not the rabble in the media) acknowledging that we played well.

But it'll all be in vain if the players react negatively. That's what led to Carlo's downfall.

Anyone think we should move to a 4-4-2? Mata as the playmaker, Torres and Sturridge strikers? It looked good today.

When I see the perfect quality of Ramires' deliveries through, I really wonder if he could not play beside Mata in a Christmas Tree behind Torres (our only striker able to go into space). He could make the link between midfield and attack with his pace and speed with the ball, and his great vision in the last tier...

When we look closer, I don't know how many key passes (assist without goals :P) in the space he has since he is at Chelsea, but most of them were absolutely brilliant. The one for Torres before his non-goal is the same as the one for Lukaku versus Norwich etc...

Meireles vs Mikel is a very tough one. Both can be accomodated only if Lampard is dropped from the starting 11. Ramires deserves to play. Luiz does too. Dont know wht AVB hasnt played him much,

It's not a tough call. Meireles replaces Lampard. Mikel should be on to do DM duties. Raul can move forward and make good passes and link up with the front 3. I thought he should have replaced Lampard the day he signed but obviously that wasn't realistic. But I think it's time Chelsea look towards an era where Lampard isn't the first MF on the teamsheet. He still has a role to play, like starting against Fulham but I think Meireles is the guy to go with for most of the big matches.

Why can't we say this? None of us know how Torres feels. Just because he doesn't score every week doesn't mean he is not confident. Fans and pundits talking about players confidence is purely speculation on their part. So if we are going to speculate, I'd say today's goal will lift him. His current form has all been leading to this point, that point being a very well taken, strikers goal. Not one person on this forum will argue that his miss wasn't grim, it was. I score those down my local pitches all the time and I'm crap. But as many have said before me, every striker misses sitters. And so in the same vain, can we not say that Rooney's confidence will have taken a hit today given that he couldn't hit the target from a dead ball 12 yards out?

and who said that it dint affect rooney... did u say what he did wen he went one on one with cech late in the match... normally he would ve closed his eyes and scored that one but could not because confidence takes a hit.. i myself am a striker and play for a club here so i kinda of know how crappy u feel wen u miss sitters... and if u really feel that torres' confidence would ve built up instead of taken a hit their is absolutely no point in talkin because i feel completely different..

and who said that it dint affect rooney... did u say what he did wen he went one on one with cech late in the match... normally he would ve closed his eyes and scored that one but could not because confidence takes a hit.. i myself am a striker and play for a club here so i kinda of know how crappy u feel wen u miss sitters... and if u really feel that torres' confidence would ve built up instead of taken a hit their is absolutely no point in talkin because i feel completely different..

Actually i think he passed because he felt sorry for Berbatov :lol:

The team selection is made by our coach ..Most people seem pleased so far and willing to trust him.

Already he has shown a willingness to ignore reputations . If he thinks fit to start with Torres I accept that . Remember also Drogba

hasnt been available and wont be during ACON .. It is essential we get Torres at least close to his best ,, I think that is one

of the problems AVB is addressing ..(the neg rep ,,,I dont like being told to fuck off)

i seriously dont think the "ignore reputations" point is valid because throwin kalou out of a team is barely a point and not making lamps play 45 mins today is all u there is... anyways u ve got a problem bein told to fuck off but not a problem while sayin it...

What can I say about this game, Had everything really...Torres Brilliant in bits, then the finish....I gather enough has been said. No excuses. Dreadful. No doubt this will be the biggest talking point of all. Could of made a massive change. Our finishing in general today (not just Torres) still doesn't give me confidence in our strikers.

Edited by magicrico

I don't think Lukaku played much worse than any other player on the field from the point when he came on. He had some pretty good first touches and in almost every attack Lukaku was involved, Chelsea kept the ball. I know he didn't make any runs or create any chances, but I think he just listened to the instructions from AVB to stay close to the sideline.

Give the guy a break. You really expect it's easy as an 18 year old to come in at Old Trafford 3-1 behind? It's pretty naive to think that he would've turned the game upside down.

I'm not saying he should be a starting XI. But I think he deserves a spot on the bench once per two games or so and then get a few minutes. Just like AVB is doing at the moment. If we write off young talent so quickly, we'll never produce/develop potential stars.

Edited by Nic!

Lukaku will be loaned out, I have no doubt about it...Replying to your above post, I can't say i thought he looked good at all. This is based on what I have seen, I obviously will give him time, but having said that, he looked scared, and his touch wasn't good.

My point is I don't think anything about Torres's confidence, because I have no way of knowing. I was playing devils advocate when I opposed you.

I really doubt, Rooney played Berbatov in because he'd lost confidence. It was a more tactically sound ball to play, which was only kept out because Cole barely made it back.

Watching replay on Fox network tv now. Oh my god, that 3rd goal was so awful to watch again. How the hell did Phil Jones, the freaking center half, run through the entire Chelsea midfield and defense? The boy is fast, very, very fast. But he got very little opposition as he built up steam towards the box.

"Chelsea's fans singing 'We're gonna win the league' at the final whistle, drowning out the 70,000- plus home support, despite suffering a defeat that had been on the cards since early in the first half. "

Did anyone else smile? It kind of helped dampen the pain on top of actual performance.