Romelu Lukaku

Jose M

I'll just echo what I said in another topic: I really get why so many fans are upset with Lukaku.

I'll explain why: because he was so overhyped in this forum, that people thought he was already good enough to make an impact in the first team. Just search in this forum and you will find people asking if we should buy Lukaku, Neymar or Aguero. I don't have to say a word about Aguero, and about Neymar you might consider him overrated, but at least at this time he is already good enough to be playing in the first team, scoring some goals and giving some assists.

So some fans got frustrated when they realized Lukaku is a raw player with an abysmal first touch, that will need at least 2 years of development to be good enough to make a huge impact in the first team. Nobody was expecting that after 6 months we would be talking about sending him on loan to another club.

Of course there are a lot of potential in the boy, but when he arrived some people thought he was already one of the best strikers in the world, thats the problem.

I'll explain why: because he was so overhyped in this forum, that people thought he was already good enough to make an impact in the first team. Just search in this forum and you will find people asking if we should buy Lukaku, Neymar or Aguero. I don't have to say a word about Aguero, and about Neymar you might consider him overrated, but at least at this time he is already good enough to be playing in the first team, scoring some goals and giving some assists.

So some fans got frustrated when they realized Lukaku is a raw player with an abysmal first touch, that will need at least 2 years of development to be good enough to make a huge impact in the first team. Nobody was expecting that after 6 months we would be talking about sending him on loan to another club.

Of course there are a lot of potential in the boy, but when he arrived some people thought he was already one of the best strikers in the world, thats the problem.

I don;t think any one compared Lukaku to Neymar or said he was better (i hope not anyway). In terms of pure talent there is only one winner.

One thing Lukaku does have over Neymar is attitude. Lukaku is determined to be a success and football as BL said is 10% talent and 90% attitude. Only worry with Neymar is will he have the hunger to come to us and succed, im not too sure. If he joins us and proves me wrong i will be delighted however because on pure potential alone (Neymar) could become one of the best if not the best in the world.

It's a fair analysis.

This was at a time where any signings, to us, were amazing news. So there was some expectancy he would be ready, especially considering we paid £20million.

Lukaku will be a superb target man for this club i'm sure he just needs time. I remember in the old forum when people were saying '' Drogba should be sold''. This boy was signed for future seasons we could not let another team sign him and we watch him become a Drogba or Adebayor in 2 seasons time i'm glad we have him he needs to lose a little bit of weight like Essien did in his first season.

But the thing is, you don't paid £18 million pound for potential. You just don't. Romeu was baught for potential, and he cost just £4.5 million pounds. Sturridge for a free £3.5 million. Ect.

Phil Jones 18m.

But the thing is, you don't paid £18 million pound for potential. You just don't. Romeu was baught for potential, and he cost just £4.5 million pounds. Sturridge for a free £3.5 million. Ect.

Unlike Romeu and Sturridge, Lukaku was heavily exposed and sought after in the transfer market.

Unless you were living under a rock, you should already have known that the price tag was all for potential. If an 18 y/o was good enough to be a starting striker for a team like Chelsea, he would have cost a lot more than 18M.

It's always a risk paying that much for potential but hes so very young and the potential he has is scary. He seems to have a good attitude and work ethic so we really shouldn't worry. He will turn into a class player in time.

If an 18 y/o was good enough to be a starting striker for a team like Chelsea, he would have cost a lot more than 18M.

VERY good point. I think that 18m today isn't the same as what 18m was worth 4-5 years ago. 18m is probably the same as about 12m. Transfers in the last few years have heavily inflated the market. I.E. Torres, the English lumps of shit at Liverpool, City's dealings, etc

Plus, he was bought for 13m in initial fees. So that's.. About 8m. Which I don't think is that bad.

I don't know.. A different way of looking at it, I guess.

Unless you were living under a rock, you should already have known that the price tag was all for potential. If an 18 y/o was good enough to be a starting striker for a team like Chelsea, he would have cost a lot more than 18M.

It's always a risk paying that much for potential but hes so very young and the potential he has is scary. He seems to have a good attitude and work ethic so we really shouldn't worry. He will turn into a class player in time.

That doesnt make sense. Sturridge already had much more potential than Lukaku and he was less than 10m. Potential...you dont buy a player for potential, thats why you an academy.

That doesnt make sense. Sturridge already had much more potential than Lukaku and he was less than 10m. Potential...you dont buy a player for potential, thats why you an academy.

?

Lukaku was top scorer in his country at 17.

If you don't remember, Sturridge was a reserve player in 09/10.

have you ever tried such a thing ?

Playing Hendrix or playing Premier League football?

I've tried both of those (well, a two-week trial doesn't really count) and it didn't work out well. So I stick to Oasis, and 5-a-side respectively.

Playing Hendrix or playing Premier League football?

I've tried both of those (well, a two-week trial doesn't really count) and it didn't work out well. So I stick to Oasis, and 5-a-side respectively.

I tried Hendrix when I was a beginner, but since then I decided to only listen his songs.