The English Football Thread

Steve

2 hours ago, different level said:

Some of the posters here have abnormally weak mentality, it has to be said :D I can only imagine how they've acted during our 11/12 Champions League campaign.

there is a difference between being over confident and keeping both feet on the ground, to each is own i guess

dont kid yourself, you probably had to change underwear more than once that season just like everyone else, because many hearts stopped for sure, it was that crazy, roller coaster of a season, no one could have predicted it would end in the way it did. Cheers

• Replies 65.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vesper

• Laylabelle

• Jase

• Special Juan

6 hours ago, Johnnyeye said:

but after that Palace result at home

This game is very different. Our players are not coming from an international break. They have been eating and training according to Conte's programs for this game. Also atmosphere at Stamford Bridge is very different later in the day. Like I said before, keep calm and believe in our fans, Conte and the team.

7 hours ago, Pizy said:

I don't think they'll take a step back in terms of quality, just league position. Simply because ourselves, City, and United will be buying much better players than they'll be able to attract. I think they'll be battling with Liverpool and Arse for that last CL spot.

Other teams buy better players but Pochettino buys and trains players for the Premiere League. They have one little creative guy and rest of their team is ready for the physical challenge. That's why these underdogs survive winter while tiki taka obsessed Arsene and City can't.

8 hours ago, Jason said:

What's the point Pochettino has them play well and build a side with little weaknesses if he doesn't lead them to trophies?

I don't disagree that Spurs lack that X-factor player but at the same time, that winning mentality is equally vital as well. It's a bit like when we went from nearly men under Ranieri to serial winners under Mourinho.

I agree that winning mentality play a factor, but I remember Mou came and bought robben who was wc, made of glass but can be unplayable at times, plus Drogba. Even Pochetino said unless it is Messi/Neymar they don't need another player.

The best part for us is this kind of player is really hard to find and even harder for teams like spurs who need to break the bank and destroy their wage structure to sign this kind of player. 

Surprise surprise... Spurs finally hit a patch of difficult games and they lost their spirit. The cracks were evident vs. Palace - the NLD another difficult game too even though they did play well. When you have a lot of away games with difficult games sandwiched in between them it's very unrealistic to win them all. Never in doubt for me. Didn't think they'd lose today though but there we have it! There was no way they'd win the rest of their games either so I wasn't ever that worried tbh. 

Now, we win the title before Spurs even play next if we beat Boro and WBA. Hopefully we score lots - need to close that GD gap for the aesthetics. 

6 hours ago, The Skipper said:

Surprise surprise... Spurs finally hit a patch of difficult games and they lost their spirit. The cracks were evident vs. Palace - the NLD another difficult game too even though they did play well. When you have a lot of away games with difficult games sandwiched in between them it's very unrealistic to win them all. Never in doubt for me. Didn't think they'd lose today though but there we have it! There was no way they'd win the rest of their games either so I wasn't ever that worried tbh. 

Now, we win the title before Spurs even play next if we beat Boro and WBA. Hopefully we score lots - need to close that GD gap for the aesthetics. 

Yeah, I have been saying they wouldnt go with 13 wins in a row for quite some time. We were one of the few advocating this! Jason has poisoned everyone else with his pessimism lol.

Imo we will become champions because its not hard to win twice in four matches when we have 3 home fixtures, but it would be way cooler to become champions before Spurs even play...

Man United had their worst first half to a season in most of our lifetimes. It's truly one of their worst ever seasons in the top flight.

And yet win tonight, and there's just 1 point difference between United & City. It shows how shitty the latter have been, but we've barely heard anything about that. And barely anything about the incredible run, regardless of the fact many draws have been a part of it, United have been on in the league.

I'm glad to see Wigan being relegated from the Championship. They shouldn't have a football club, a rugby club's enough. Every turnout of theirs is shambolic & there's no history, style, respect or attractive qualities wrapped around them. Some clubs should just never be near the PL.

2 hours ago, -Kaplan- said:

Arsenal wins. Wenger announces his 2-year contract. Mourinho comes up with excuses. 

The usual. 

Wait, Wenger announced he is staying?

6 hours ago, Leif said:

I'm glad to see Wigan being relegated from the Championship. They shouldn't have a football club, a rugby club's enough. Every turnout of theirs is shambolic & there's no history, style, respect or attractive qualities wrapped around them. Some clubs should just never be near the PL.

QPR comes to mind too