The English Football Thread

Steve

10 hours ago, Clockwork said:

With that loss pretty much secures the title for us.

Disagree with the bottle narrative though, I do not believe Spurs bottled anything. They had won like 9 straight PL games before this loss. They made it a title race when a few months ago no one believed they were in the title race and made some Chelsea fans nervous.

Even if they were completely perfect down the stretch they still needed us to lose one game and draw one game. This is not a bottle job imho.

Kinda disagree with that TBH. Spurs didn't throw the title away (because they never led the league) but do think they bottled it.

They may have won 9 straight games before yesterday but in how many of those games were the spotlight really on them? We would likely win the title in the end anyway but it was crunch time yesterday. Many were expecting them to beat West Ham and it was a huge opportunity to put some serious pressure on us, to cut down that gap to 1 point but instead, they cracked under it. It's similar to the FA Cup semi-final last month. Big spotlight on them, a lot of people were predicting them to deal a psychological blow to us but they didn't produce the goods on that day to win it.

• Replies 65.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vesper

• Laylabelle

• Jase

• Special Juan

Even if I hate Spurs but saying they threw the title away or even bottled it is false. First of all, they were never that much in the title race but they were the only ones that made it interesting. It was Sky that wanted to let us all believe the title race... for views. I prefer WE WON IT, not SPURS BOTTLED IT! You can't bottle anything if you are not in it. We were too far away from any team in March I suppose. Fuck Tottenham anyway :D  

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Kinda disagree with that TBH. Spurs didn't throw the title away (because they never led the league) but do think they bottled it.

They may have won 9 straight games before yesterday but in how many of those games were the spotlight really on them? We would likely win the title in the end anyway but it was crunch time yesterday. Many were expecting them to beat West Ham and it was a huge opportunity to put some serious pressure on us, to cut down that gap to 1 point but instead, they cracked under it. It's similar to the FA Cup semi-final last month. Big spotlight on them, a lot of people were predicting them to deal a psychological blow to us but they didn't produce the goods on that day to win it.

IMO they did great job chasing us from  what at first looked impossible. 

To win 9 games in row, surely they had to lose at some point. Its not like they have world class squad. 

IMO someone bottling it means when you are first, and you have on paper such advantage that it looks impossible to be caught. Yet you lose all that advantage and someone else beats you to it. 

To bottle it means its all up to you to win something with great odds, but you fuck it up. Spurs were never first and were always chasing us, despite they were over 10 points behind us at one point. The title was ours to lose.

We will bottle it if we wont win the title after such lead.

After all they have young squad and rather inexperienced. Who knows how will these failures over past two years reflect on Alli, Kane and others.

That said, Im more than happy Spuds lost yesterday giving us some space, which makes our run in a bit easier.

58 minutes ago, BlueLyon said:

IMO they did great job chasing us from  what at first looked impossible. 

To win 9 games in row, surely they had to lose at some point. Its not like they have world class squad. 

IMO someone bottling it means when you are first, and you have on paper such advantage that it looks impossible to be caught. Yet you lose all that advantage and someone else beats you to it. 

To bottle it means its all up to you to win something with great odds, but you fuck it up. Spurs were never first and were always chasing us, despite they were over 10 points behind us at one point. The title was ours to lose.

We will bottle it if we wont win the title after such lead.

The title was definitely ours to lose but Spurs had the slimmest of chances to win it, however realistic that was. They were in the title race. Yesterday was their big moment, their opportunity to ramp up the pressure and everyone was expecting them to beat West Ham but they failed.

Even if they didn't bottle the league for you, can you really argue they didn't bottle under pressure? They did well to win 9 games in a row but in some ways, they did that without much spotlight on them as most of it was on us. Yesterday was the first time it's on them in the run-in, to cut the gap to 1 point and they blew it. I guess I\if this season has told us anything about Spurs, it's that they still don't do very well when the pressure is actually on - they screwed up in the Champions League, Europa League, FA Cup semi-final and then at West Ham.

1 hour ago, BlueLyon said:

After all they have young squad and rather inexperienced. Who knows how will these failures over past two years reflect on Alli, Kane and others.

I take your point about them being inexperienced but at some point, they're going have to make that final step to win something, don't they? Yet for their all progress, for getting far into competitions, they don't seem to have learned anything from it. And you gotta wonder if Pochettino is the right manager to instill that winning mentality.

Watching City it's pretty easy to see that with a couple of key signings they'll be an unbelievable side next season. The skill, pace, and understanding between their attacking players is sublime. They just need a couple of top class full backs and a long term Yaya replacement and they're title contenders again.

Everyone hyped this season but next year will be even more insane.

Just now, Pizy said:

Watching City it's pretty easy to see that with a couple of key signings they'll be an unbelievable side next season. The skill, pace, and understanding between their attacking players is sublime. They just need a couple of top class full backs and a long term Yaya replacement and they're title contenders again.

Everyone hyped this season but next year will be even more insane.

You could also of typed that and insert our name too.

1 minute ago, Special Juan said:

You could also of typed that and insert our name too.

I think it'll be between us and the 2 Manchester clubs. Think Spuds will take a slight step back.

1 hour ago, Pizy said:

I think it'll be between us and the 2 Manchester clubs. Think Spuds will take a slight step back.

Nah unless they sell someone, they will be as good if not better. That is if Alli and Kane maintain their good form.

Manchesters will improve surely and I expect them to become something similar to Real longterm if they maintain this spending spree and find suitable coach. Maybe not next season, but in two, three years surely. Guardiola has no plan B and United is still a bit of mess, so I think they will be very beatable for a while. But If we dont invest smart next two summers, I can eventualy see us as Atletico in spain, always outsiders in three club race. We definately have more money, so hopefuly it wont come to that.

The least I expect from Pool and Arsenal who wont progress under current coaches and policy, because they are selling best players.

PL will surely become very very competitive soon. 

8 minutes ago, BlueLyon said:

Nah unless they sell someone, they will be as good if not better. That is if Alli and Kane maintain their good form.

Manchesters will improve surely and I expect them to become something similar to Real longterm if they maintain this spending spree and find suitable coach. Maybe not next season, but in two, three years surely. Guardiola has no plan B and United is still a bit of mess, so I think they will be very beatable for a while. But If we dont invest smart next two summers, I can eventualy see us as Atletico in spain, always outsiders in three club race. We definately have more money, so hopefuly it wont come to that.

The least I expect from Pool and Arsenal who wont progress under current coaches and policy, because they are selling best players.

PL will surely become very very competitive soon. 

I don't think they'll take a step back in terms of quality, just league position. Simply because ourselves, City, and United will be buying much better players than they'll be able to attract. I think they'll be battling with Liverpool and Arse for that last CL spot.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

I take your point about them being inexperienced but at some point, they're going have to make that final step to win something, don't they? Yet for their all progress, for getting far into competitions, they don't seem to have learned anything from it. And you gotta wonder if Pochettino is the right manager to instill that winning mentality.

I hate talking about winning mentality, I think spurs problem has nothing to do with mentality. Pochetino has done extremely well with this team. Their team is good with little weaknesses, what they lack is one player who they can give the ball and go do something like hazard. 

37 minutes ago, Pizy said:

I don't think they'll take a step back in terms of quality, just league position. Simply because ourselves, City, and United will be buying much better players than they'll be able to attract. I think they'll be battling with Liverpool and Arse for that last CL spot.

I will wait for after transfer window to say anything, we have massive question mark on the future of Costa and maybe fabregas next season. I think we can replace Costa, not sure we can sign anybody at fabregas level in term of creating chances. 

Whereas spurs need only one player maybe a wc winger and they are going to be dangerous 

8 minutes ago, communicate said:

I hate talking about winning mentality, I think spurs problem has nothing to do with mentality. Pochetino has done extremely well with this team. Their team is good with little weaknesses, what they lack is one player who they can give the ball and go do something like hazard.

What's the point Pochettino has them play well and build a side with little weaknesses if he doesn't lead them to trophies?

I don't disagree that Spurs lack that X-factor player but at the same time, that winning mentality is equally vital as well. It's a bit like when we went from nearly men under Ranieri to serial winners under Mourinho.