The English Football Thread

Steve

you know it is The End of The World is near when both Sunderland and Newcastle United look like they are both going be relegated in the same season 2015/2016.

I have Ashburner Family Members who live in Newcastle and are Season Ticket holders to Newcastle and Sunderland.

and Aston Villa is joining their neighbours Birmingham City in the Championship.

• Replies 65.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vesper

• Laylabelle

• Jase

• Special Juan

3 minutes ago, DYC. said:

What does Dele Alli think he's doing? First you join the Tottenham squad from MK Dons, you then fill in for an injured player and do a good job in centre midfield, you continue to do an even better job, then you actually become first choice. That's already quite impressive. But then you take it a notch further, you play higher up the pitch and you're level doesn't drop. What? You're arguably even better there and start producing great pieces of skill, scoring an ourageous goal against Everton. The nerve of that 19-year-old.

Seriously though, shockingly good goal. The run, the control on the move, the finish under pressure. That was a real striker goal.

His progress is incredible! My friend's Dad is from Milton Keynes so we went to a couple of Dons games and Alli really stood out then but so did a lot of that team, we didn't think much of him at the time for that reason. Then he got signed by Tottenham and were still unsure, knew he'd been doing things for England U21s at that time too so it wasn't out the blue he was scouted. We never quite thought it would be so soon he was breaking down the door of established first team members at Tottenham. Ryan Mason was meant to be their 'guy' and now it's Alli :lol:

At the time I said "i'm disappointed Chelsea never signed him", but I'm glad. He'd have never got that exposure for us here, the RLC comparison has already been alluded to. If that means we one day end up paying £40-60m for him because of that, so be it. Even if it is Spurs, it's just a refreshing to witness.

1 minute ago, LDN Blue said:

His progress is incredible! My friend's Dad is from Milton Keynes so we went to a couple of Dons games and Alli really stood out then but so did a lot of that team, we didn't think much of him at the time for that reason. Then he got signed by Tottenham and were still unsure, knew he'd been doing things for England U21s at that time too so it wasn't out the blue he was scouted. We never quite thought it would be so soon he was breaking down the door of established first team members at Tottenham. Ryan Mason was meant to be their 'guy' and now it's Alli :lol:

At the time I said "i'm disappointed Chelsea never signed him", but I'm glad. He'd have never got that exposure for us here, the RLC comparison has already been alluded to. If that means we one day end up paying £40-60m for him because of that, so be it. Even if it is Spurs, it's just a refreshing to witness.

Ryan Mason. Never impressed me. They were never going anywhere with that Mason-Bentaleb midfield. Pochettino also finally saw the light concerning Dembele (I thought he'd make a clever Jan purchase, very useful player, but that's not happening anymore).

Haha, just the thought of it. He never would've played at Chelsea. He would've received the infamous 'old bottle of wine' treatment. It's in your house and you rave about it. You even show it off to your friends/peers. But you never take it out. You just keep saving it for that special that never comes.

Did a couple of cheeky bets for this and got good odds from William Hill:

Shaqiri to score at any time and Stoke to win 3-2 was 100/1

Stoke win, 10-12 corners and over 6 cards was 40/1

And Bojan to score and Stoke to win was 7/1

I think it's obvious who I want to win!!

14 minutes ago, CurlyHairLikeLuiz said:

Good shout. Can see them beating the dippers. Might do similar but with Arnautovic to get on the score sheet anytime

On 1/4/2016 at 10:49 PM, Special Juan said:

Really fancy Stoke to do a number on Klopp's pussies tomorrow night....

10 hours ago, CurlyHairLikeLuiz said:

10 hours ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Good shout. Can see them beating the dippers. Might do similar but with Arnautovic to get on the score sheet anytime

Well that didn't happen although Liverpool did pick up a few hamstring injuries.

I read this on an unnamed, anonymous bulletin board.

On Manuel Pellegrini:

He's clearly a pretty good manager.
The fact that shitty manage to win anything with that bunch of players is testament to that.

He does that whole defending with the edge of the box thing which is pretty clever and works most of the time.

He sets the team up in a way that allows the few players who actually try to influence the game and the ones who don't try at least stand in the right place.

I've watched city on tv three times in the last few weeks (Arsenal, Watford and Everton) and they've put in maximum of about 5 minutes effort combined.
Don't know why the media are criticising the defenders when they are the only good thing about city, everything is down to the midfield and most significantly Yaya Toure. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm pissing myself watching him, but he trundles round like a paraplegic on opium. 
No other team that I've ever watched do I get the sense that these players genuinely never hang out outside of training and games and that any of them actually enjoy playing football. 

City have to be the most depressing team to watch. They show up, play at the slowest pace ever before seen, put in the occasional two minutes effort and still manage to win most of their games because they have talented players and because they are well managed.

They remind of those middle-aged divorced men who have a well paid executive job and three children they never see who go on in life completely alone and hating themselves but never end it or themselves because it's all too easy to accept the status quo.

1 hour ago, Blue-in-me-Veins said:

Lukaku was amazing. Really growing as a player. MOTM by far. 

City knocked out. Yaya again left Fernandhino to deal with the midfield all by himself. It's a great day whenever Man City lose. 

Lukaku might've picked up an injury though. And City aren't out, not yet at least. There's still a return to be played, no?

I was reading a dailymail arcticle about the FIFA team of the year and look what i found in the commenct section.

" The biasness in this is unpalatable. I would list Coutinho ahead of an Iniesta way past his prime and Firmino who was the king of assists in the Bundesliga deserves the spot instead of Rodriguez who has done nothing apart from having a huge transfer fee. It pains me greatly that the media, uefa are all against Liverpool, the set of injustices handed to our mighty club is nothing short of disgraceful. I demand an inquest! "

Yaya Toure labels African football confederation 'indecent' and 'pathetic' after missing out on Player of the Year award

'I'll give an example. Messi won all the trophies, but it's Cristiano Ronaldo who won the award [Ballon d'Or 2014]. What would you say? It's unfair. 'Even FIFA, with all its history of corruption, wouldn't do [what CAF judges did].

Yaya will take care of Yaya and let Africa take care of itself. As I've been told many times, you can't take care of Africa too much because Africa will be the first to let you down.  When I return to Europe, a lot of questions will be asked. I think I'm going to have to answer them. As I'm someone who's honest, I will always tell the truth.'