Super Frank Thread

12 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Trying to set aside the emotional and sentimental aspect of Lampard's appointment, I'm very excited for the set-up and foundations the club seem to be setting up here. 

Forget the transfer ban for a minute, because the club could 'get by' for a season with the squad we already have at the club, but with spiralling transfer fees it is vital that the club creates a philosophy and foundation that gets some of these academy boys breaking into the first team squad. We can no longer build our squad entirely through the transfer market like previous years for a number of reasons (transfer fee inflation. FFP, increased competition).

The club had a taste last season seeing RLC and CHO break through, it proved that with a platform some of these players are good enough to break through. It also showed the added excitement and vibrancy of the crowd seeing their own academy players playing and playing well for the club. In Christensen, RLC and CHO based on current transfer fees we have well over £100m of talent there straight out of our academy, and there's plenty more to be unearthed.

I just hope the club holds its nerve in this. Its not a quick fix, but whilst City and Liverpool are seemingly fairly well ahead of the rest of the pack at present its definitely the right time to do this for a couple of seasons and lay a foundation which could help shape and create the next chapter of success for our club.

You're making me think we should bring back the Member of the Month award... :ph34r: :lol:

37 minutes ago, Jason said:

You're making me think we should bring back the Member of the Month award... :ph34r: :lol:

Just so long as it's not as jinxed as the player and manager of the month awards seem to be!

10 hours ago, the wes said:

Frank Lampard offers fresh Chelsea chances to Drinkwater and Batshuayi

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jul/05/frank-lampard-chelsea-drinkwater-batshuayi

Christ almighty. 2 players we need to bin desperately. Unless Batshuayi doesnt mind being 2nd choice. Drinkwater needs to go

14 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Christ almighty. 2 players we need to bin desperately. Unless Batshuayi doesnt mind being 2nd choice. Drinkwater needs to go

Given our lack of options upfront, I can understand wanting to keep Batshuayi for this season. But Drinkwater? Yeah...we need to bin him FAST!

I just really want to see who excels in preseason enough  to start match day 1 against United. 

Would be pretty lame and honestly kinda anticlimactic if we line up at Old Toilet with Azpi & Alonso at fullback, Pedro & Willian as the wingers, and Giroud up top. I wanna see Pulisic straight in the team, Emerson as the first choice straight away, maybe Mount straight in to see if he can cut it at this level.

I want excitement and risk from the get-go. Playing the exact side Sarri did minus Hazard would be awful.

Azpilicueta, Rudiger, Kepa, Jorginho, Kante and Pulisic pretty much guaranteed starters against United in my opinion.

Interested to see who Frank chooses for the "vacant" positions. Does he go for Christensen instead of Luiz, Emerson instead of Alonso or some surprise option like Castillo, does he prefer Pedro over Willian, who starts up front and does Mount get ahead of Barkley in the middle of the park in RLCs absence.

1 hour ago, OneMoSalah said:

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Given our lack of options upfront, I can understand wanting to keep Batshuayi for this season. But Drinkwater? Yeah...we need to bin him FAST!

Batshuayi needs to be given the chance this season. I feel the club needs to retain all of Giroud, Bats and Abraham and give all three opportunity to stake a claim for the striker spot because it's very much up for grabs next season.

Drinkwater isn't great by any stretch of the imagination. However I don't mind him being a squad player. His homegrown status helps him for the Premier League and Champions League squads, and to be honest I would trust him to step in and do a solid, if unspectacular job compared to Bakayoko who can't even do the technical basics to play in that position. The midfield makeup we have, I hope Lampard reverts to a midfield two. Kante, Kovacic and Drinkwater are all used to that and I believe it would benefit Jorginho too. If Drinkwater was 4th choice amongst that group I'm not going to lose sleep, although I'm also not going to lose sleep either if he left.

12 hours ago, the wes said:

Frank Lampard offers fresh Chelsea chances to Drinkwater and Batshuayi

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jul/05/frank-lampard-chelsea-drinkwater-batshuayi

Seriously? Okay he's getting the sack! 🤓

Well this is the problem I said time and time again, the reason why we are stuck with mediocrity is that after a manager gets sack the new manager comes in and the players have a reset. 

When a manager knows what to get rid of and what to get, its too late because he's no longer here. 

Conte was the example of the players he wanted to get rid of and get but the board screwed it up and we got stuck with mediocrity. 

New manager same shenanigans. 

All good managers lie atleast twice a day.

He says he'll see how they do but they obviously don't all start in pole position. Drinkwater is clearly at the back of the grid but there's no need for Frank to stray from his message by singling one out. Wait until Frank has revealed his hand, to see what he really has, but bear in mind no manager is going to have the exact squad he wants in his first year even without the transfer ban. 

33 minutes ago, Fernando said:

Seriously? Okay he's getting the sack! 🤓

Well this is the problem I said time and time again, the reason why we are stuck with mediocrity is that after a manager gets sack the new manager comes in and the players have a reset. 

When a manager knows what to get rid of and what to get, its too late because he's no longer here. 

Conte was the example of the players he wanted to get rid of and get but the board screwed it up and we got stuck with mediocrity. 

New manager same shenanigans. 

1. Mourinho, Sarri etc all had the idea of the kind of players they want in their team and don't want in their team. So, I'm not sure why you're making it out as if Conte was the only one who wanted to get rid bad players.

2. And speaking of Conte and bad players, let's not pretend as if he only wanted to get good players. He wanted some average/bad ones as well. In fact, there's one of his players that we want to get rid now...Bakayoko! We were also linked to some other dross like Candreva, Llorente etc...

56 minutes ago, Pizy said:

I just really want to see who excels in preseason enough  to start match day 1 against United. 

Would be pretty lame and honestly kinda anticlimactic if we line up at Old Toilet with Azpi & Alonso at fullback, Pedro & Willian as the wingers, and Giroud up top. I wanna see Pulisic straight in the team, Emerson as the first choice straight away, maybe Mount straight in to see if he can cut it at this level.

I want excitement and risk from the get-go. Playing the exact side Sarri did minus Hazard would be awful.

The only other solution in midfield that I can think of other than kova/Barkley - jorgi - kante

is

Barkley/Mount

Kovacic - kante

I don't see Lamp playing Jorginho as holder which mean he is pretty much useless. 

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

1. Mourinho, Sarri etc all had the idea of the kind of players they want in their team and don't want in their team. So, I'm not sure why you're making it out as if Conte was the only one who wanted to get rid bad players.

2. And speaking of Conte and bad players, let's not pretend as if he only wanted to get good players. He wanted some average/bad ones as well. In fact, there's one of his players that we want to get rid now...Bakayoko! We were also linked to some other dross like Candreva, Llorente etc...

I think it is normal for a new manager to give everyone a chance. Luiz said that Sarri did not want him in the beginning but he impressed him in his first training session. 

Lampard on the football style in one of the articles on the app...

"What I tried to last year at Derby, and what we will try to do this season, is have an aggressive team with energy, bravery on the ball and an ability to move the ball quickly.

I have huge respect for the teams at the top of the league at this moment in time. I look at Manchester City and Liverpool to see the speed of their game and that is the speed I want to see from my team.

Work-rate is really important for me and that starts on the training pitch. I realized that even more last season being on this side of the fence.

I always focused on myself as a player but now I can watch players more closely and see the real correlation between how you push yourself in training and how you perform at the weekend.

That's a big thing for me."