The Conte Thread

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

FFP is like a myth at this point if we look at how much the other clubs are spending and the lack of Champions League football money hardly hurts when there's the new TV deal money.

You could be right, I'm not gonna profess to know what the clubs financial position is all I can say is we're not as well stocked as Utd who have spent in and around half a billion in recent years. 

14 minutes ago, Chelsea Legend 11 said:

Now name me a CB that is available and will make us significantly better? 

Paris' Marquinhos.

Unai Emery has had a successful pre-season with Paris and has his team for the new season already pictured in mind with David Luiz and Thiago Silva as centre backs. Kimpembe on the bench and Aurier and Stambouli can slot in there, too.

With the right offer, Marquinhos can be prised away because he is unhappy and does not want to spend another season on the bench. 

2 hours ago, Special Juan said:

Our main transfer window is in January a lot of the time anyway, you know trying to scramble like fuck after a shit summer transfer window.

I cannot see in 3 weeks the board bringing in the not just the amount of players needed but the correct areas too.

I can see there being a big money signing but no one who we actually need. Our defence is bloody awful and there may be limited options out there but surely someone good enough to fill the gaps. Nearly every game we let goals in and still having stupid moments pretty season.

3 minutes ago, petre.ispirescu said:

Paris' Marquinhos.

Unai Emery has had a successful pre-season with Paris and has his team for the new season already pictured in mind with David Luiz and Thiago Silva as centre backs. Kimpembe on the bench and Aurier and Stambouli can slot in there, too.

With the right offer, Marquinhos can be prised away because he is unhappy and does not want to spend another season on the bench. 

Marquinhos: "I think this year I will stay in Paris. #PSG do not want to sell me. It is hard to leave with these conditions."

26 minutes ago, Chelsea Legend 11 said:

Marquinhos: "I think this year I will stay in Paris. #PSG do not want to sell me. It is hard to leave with these conditions."

Yes, I know the interview, it was for Catalan newspaper Sport (Barcelona was always interested in him) and I read it. He said that he went to the PSG offices to ask for a transfer, but the PSG officials denied him the request because they did not know about the new coach's intentions. This was before Emery was appointed as a manager at the beginning of July. Back then it was the obvious choice to deny him the request because no one knew who is going to be the new manager and what was his plans. But right now, I don't know if Marquinhos can come from the Olympics and slot into the first team instantly. After he's missed the pre-season and Emery has tried different tactics with him nowhere near the squad.

I still think he would be available for the right price.

I'm as pissed off as anyone with the state of our back 4 but I'm not one of the Doom merchants thinking Contes out and its the end of the world

No - I got no fuckin clue why we are using the same broke down hasbeens that the board and various managers fave failed to do fuck all about. But we all know if it dont change we wil be sitting here this time next season saying the same spiel.

But I really cant imagine IF the board ARE dragging their feet that Conte is sitting there nice n quiet tugging on his forelock saying ''Thank you sir can I have another one!"

I hope to god we dont end up getting last minute panic buys I'd much rather pay double the fee for a player we know is good.

I still got faith and till the window closes 'In Conte I trust'

53 minutes ago, Chelsea Legend 11 said:

Yes and we clearly aren't in a financial position to spend 80m on one defender. We have money but if you believe FFP is real we clearly can't spend crazy money and comply, especially with no champions league football.

Man Utd have limitless funds at their disposal. 

I don't think it's FFP.  I think we stopped spending in order to fund the stadium re-development.  We're doing an Arsenal ATM.

1 hour ago, Chelsea Legend 11 said:

Again you have no idea who has been targeted, all you know is we haven't concluded any deals. You sound like Charlie "the Hurricane" Skillen or Joe Tweeds...

If we actually have a target, we wouldn't be sitting here having this conversation right now.

1 hour ago, Chelsea Legend 11 said:

Signing anyone who is available is precisely what got us into this predicament to begin with.

No. It's the lack of foresight and proper scouting that's got us in this predicament. Everyone, I'm sure you do as well, can see the problems with this squad a year ago (or even 2 seasons ago) and yet, we have done nothing to improve the squad.

With only a few days left until the start of the new season, Chelsea’s defensive situation looks less than ideal. It was a huge area of weakness in a season that many could not have predicted. A unit that has often been one of Chelsea’s strongest started to looks its age over the course of a troubling campaign. Branislav Ivanovic and Gary Cahill particularly struggled to add solidity to Chelsea’s right hand side after Kurt Zouma’s injury. John Terry’s renaissance waned and even the reliability of Cesar Azpilicueta disappeared.

Arguably the best defender Chelsea currently have available is Terry. At 35 years old that situation itself is baffling. As the disappointing Baha Rahman departs for Germany, Chelsea currently have six active defenders to select for the opening game against West Ham. Of those six players two have not played a single minute of Premier League football. With a week to go until the reign of Antonio Conte commences how are Chelsea in a position as bad as this? West Ham are weeks ahead in their pre-season schedule and will relish playing a Chelsea side who are regularly ceding goalscoring opportunities.

Watching the Werder Bremen game it is highly likely that Chelsea start the season with Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry and Azpilicueta. It has been 84 days since Chelsea ended their season and in that period not a single addition to the back four has been made. Of course there are still three weeks left until the transfer window closes, but as Gabriele Marcotti argues it is always best to get business done early. The pursuit of a centre half is entering the realms of John Stones absurdity. How long have the links persisted with Kalidou Koulibaly? If Napoli are insisting on playing hard ball, why not just look elsewhere?

Chelsea have spent nearly £70 million already with a reported £100 million necessary for the purchases of Koulibaly and Lukaku. Surely £100 million is enough to remedy a significant portion of Chelsea’s defensive issues. A back four comprising of Azpilicueta, Zouma and two new starters is actually pretty good. Obvious reservations about the condition Zouma returns in aside, the positive thought has to be that he comes back at a high level. It seems a straightforward assessment to make, but one that Chelsea are ignoring.

There are an abundance of good centre-backs playing in Europe at the moment. GOOD, at this point, would be an upgrade over what Chelsea are likely to start against West Ham. Jonathan Tah, for example, brings a perfect balance of having ability to immediately upgrade Chelsea, with an exceptionally high ceiling in the long-term. In an inflated market his fee is still likely to be less than that of Koulibaly, with a lot more upside. Tah is one of many players who are good enough to start for Chelsea now.

In many ways the success, or lack thereof, hinges upon the ability of Chelsea’s back four this season. N’Golo Kante will give a certain amount of protection, but pairing him with Fabregas, Oscar or Matic leaves many of last season’s issues at hand. Chelsea have a soft core that is compounded by the fact that their centre back pairing is now a major weakness. Can Chelsea get away with having a more progressive midfield if Gary Cahill and John Terry play the majority of the season?

Ultimately Chelsea are aiming to get back into the Champions League. People might say that lacks ambition but it reflects the nature of a side who finished 10th with an ageing back line. Chelsea have signed one player that improves the starting XI and likely needed another 4 or 5 to return to former power. Conte is under incredible pressure to deliver an immediate upturn in fortunes: the question remains have the club done enough to allow him to achieve this?

This is the second summer in a row where the tactics of the Chelsea board have led to a baffling situation. Did they conclude the Kante deal and spend the next 23 days patting each other on the back? Chelsea have likely been trying for targets, but there is an alarming lack of movement. Sure they could go and buy all the remaining targets before West Ham or before the window closes, but that in itself brings its own set of problems. Just how quickly can one, two or three new signings come to terms with Conte’s demands? How does missing pre-season effect the chemistry of the team?

Chelsea fans are right to be wary at the lack of movement they are seeing. There appears to be a significant amount of faith in Conte and his ability as a coach. The extension of that trust does not go as far as those running the club. Maybe the scars of a season mired in mediocrity have not quite healed. Are Chelsea really going to make the same mistakes of last season? Will they panic buy another Nobodji? Only time will tell.

All credit goes to Joe Tweedie from umaxit.

http://www.umaxit.com/index.php/columns/in-chelseas-transfer-strategy-the-same-mistakes-as-last-year-are-apparent?

14 minutes ago, Melanicus said:

With only a few days left until the start of the new season, Chelsea’s defensive situation looks less than ideal. It was a huge area of weakness in a season that many could not have predicted. A unit that has often been one of Chelsea’s strongest started to looks its age over the course of a troubling campaign. Branislav Ivanovic and Gary Cahill particularly struggled to add solidity to Chelsea’s right hand side after Kurt Zouma’s injury. John Terry’s renaissance waned and even the reliability of Cesar Azpilicueta disappeared.

Arguably the best defender Chelsea currently have available is Terry. At 35 years old that situation itself is baffling. As the disappointing Baha Rahman departs for Germany, Chelsea currently have six active defenders to select for the opening game against West Ham. Of those six players two have not played a single minute of Premier League football. With a week to go until the reign of Antonio Conte commences how are Chelsea in a position as bad as this? West Ham are weeks ahead in their pre-season schedule and will relish playing a Chelsea side who are regularly ceding goalscoring opportunities.

Watching the Werder Bremen game it is highly likely that Chelsea start the season with Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry and Azpilicueta. It has been 84 days since Chelsea ended their season and in that period not a single addition to the back four has been made. Of course there are still three weeks left until the transfer window closes, but as Gabriele Marcotti argues it is always best to get business done early. The pursuit of a centre half is entering the realms of John Stones absurdity. How long have the links persisted with Kalidou Koulibaly? If Napoli are insisting on playing hard ball, why not just look elsewhere?

Chelsea have spent nearly £70 million already with a reported £100 million necessary for the purchases of Koulibaly and Lukaku. Surely £100 million is enough to remedy a significant portion of Chelsea’s defensive issues. A back four comprising of Azpilicueta, Zouma and two new starters is actually pretty good. Obvious reservations about the condition Zouma returns in aside, the positive thought has to be that he comes back at a high level. It seems a straightforward assessment to make, but one that Chelsea are ignoring.

There are an abundance of good centre-backs playing in Europe at the moment. GOOD, at this point, would be an upgrade over what Chelsea are likely to start against West Ham. Jonathan Tah, for example, brings a perfect balance of having ability to immediately upgrade Chelsea, with an exceptionally high ceiling in the long-term. In an inflated market his fee is still likely to be less than that of Koulibaly, with a lot more upside. Tah is one of many players who are good enough to start for Chelsea now.

In many ways the success, or lack thereof, hinges upon the ability of Chelsea’s back four this season. N’Golo Kante will give a certain amount of protection, but pairing him with Fabregas, Oscar or Matic leaves many of last season’s issues at hand. Chelsea have a soft core that is compounded by the fact that their centre back pairing is now a major weakness. Can Chelsea get away with having a more progressive midfield if Gary Cahill and John Terry play the majority of the season?

Ultimately Chelsea are aiming to get back into the Champions League. People might say that lacks ambition but it reflects the nature of a side who finished 10th with an ageing back line. Chelsea have signed one player that improves the starting XI and likely needed another 4 or 5 to return to former power. Conte is under incredible pressure to deliver an immediate upturn in fortunes: the question remains have the club done enough to allow him to achieve this?

This is the second summer in a row where the tactics of the Chelsea board have led to a baffling situation. Did they conclude the Kante deal and spend the next 23 days patting each other on the back? Chelsea have likely been trying for targets, but there is an alarming lack of movement. Sure they could go and buy all the remaining targets before West Ham or before the window closes, but that in itself brings its own set of problems. Just how quickly can one, two or three new signings come to terms with Conte’s demands? How does missing pre-season effect the chemistry of the team?

Chelsea fans are right to be wary at the lack of movement they are seeing. There appears to be a significant amount of faith in Conte and his ability as a coach. The extension of that trust does not go as far as those running the club. Maybe the scars of a season mired in mediocrity have not quite healed. Are Chelsea really going to make the same mistakes of last season? Will they panic buy another Nobodji? Only time will tell.

You at least gonna give the author credit after copy/pasting his article, mate? :D

5 minutes ago, Pizy said:

You at least gonna give the author credit after copy/pasting his article, mate? :D

Damn, my bad. I edited the post by bolding and underlying and completely forgot to give a credit where its due. Thanks for reminding!

http://www.umaxit.com/index.php/columns/in-chelseas-transfer-strategy-the-same-mistakes-as-last-year-are-apparent?

1 minute ago, Melanicus said:

Damn, my bad. I edited the post by bolding and underlying and completely forgot to give a credit where its due. Thanks for reminding!

No problem! Just read that this morning when he posted it.

Echoes my sentiments exactly.

I dunno about CB but I'm pretty confident we have a new LB in the bag already and Baba's loan is the most obvious evidence. If, a big if, we don't end up signing a proper LB I will start cursing the board. But now I'm still calm and willing to trust the board.

20 minutes ago, Ryan Fong said:

I dunno about CB but I'm pretty confident we have a new LB in the bag already and Baba's loan is the most obvious evidence. If, a big if, we don't end up signing a proper LB I will start cursing the board. But now I'm still calm and willing to trust the board.

Just a LB would be like pluging a hole in a dam with yer finger. If Happy was fit I wouldnt panc but the problem would still be there.

A great point earlier about the HG problem too.