The English Football Thread

Steve

8 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

Most of their opponents are already on the beach  at the time they face them starting with de facto already relegated Norwich. 
we need to avoid defeat tomorrow and vs Liverpool at all costs and win all remaining games. 

Most still have something to play for. They won't have it as easy next week vs Lamptey and Brighton.

• Replies 65.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vesper

• Laylabelle

• Jase

• Special Juan

Works both ways..they have something to play for which dont think many expected. 

We need to just do our bit. No way we're not dropping points just hope they arent silly ones....and can get a goal difference above theirs...no chance of above Leicesters but who knows what they're doing points wise

37 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

You assume our opponents will win all games? 

Yes we should....Conte did the same in 16-17 when we battled it out with spurs. Its better to be safe than sorry, count on yourself rather than hoping others slip......especially a cuntish udt side.

3 minutes ago, Laylabelle said:

5 subs still feels crazy. Especially with some teams having such talent in back up options and others not so much 

I mentioned it the other day, 5 subs mean those with deeper and greater quality will eventually shine through which is BS.

Is there any real chance City could be banned from CL at all?? Imagine us finishing behind United and Wolves. It would be a huge kick in the teeth not to get CL but at least we have already signed 2 top players and have a solid young squad for next season. It's almost asif CL football doesn't matter anymore in terms of squad building. Purely for the revenue and to see if we can make the semi's. 

No bias in the SKY Sports studio tonight, Souness and Jamie Redknapp with John Barnes on the sidelines....

I fucking hate the cunts and the gangs that follow them like SKY

Oh hang on my bad Carragher in commentary:lol:

37 minutes ago, DDA said:

Is there any real chance City could be banned from CL at all?? Imagine us finishing behind United and Wolves. It would be a huge kick in the teeth not to get CL but at least we have already signed 2 top players and have a solid young squad for next season. It's almost asif CL football doesn't matter anymore in terms of squad building. Purely for the revenue and to see if we can make the semi's. 

Semis?! We need to get past the last 16 first lol. Haven't done since 2014 in 3 attempts..possibly 4 including this years.

So the two sides who have been punching way above their weight all season appear to have completely collapsed. Both Leicester and Sheffield United are dropping like a brick.

With the two run-in's compared, I think there's a very strong chance United finishes above us if we lose tomorrow. And while everyone would go mad if they did, we have to remember that they spent £150m on players for this season whilst we've spent £0. Plus we have essentially a rookie coach. They should finish ahead of us and it'll be a ridiculous achievement if Frank hangs on and finishes in the top 4.

I think (again, assuming we lose tomorrow which is highly likely) we need to worry about Wolves and finishing in that 5th spot. Then hoping like hell that UEFA don't get clowned on and City's ban is upheld.

4 minutes ago, Laylabelle said:

The only thing that annoy me about Man U finishing above is being above them for so long..most the season I think. 

We have blown a pretty big lead over them too. Lost games that we should have won and we would be sitting 3rd comfortably.

4 minutes ago, Laylabelle said:

The only thing that annoy me about Man U finishing above is being above them for so long..most the season I think. 

All about their defense compared to ours. They've been horrendous to watch up until just recently but even at their worst they could always defend very effectively. Now they can both shut teams out like before but also have crazy attacking firepower since they're all fit.

Us on the other hand....

Honestly, though, even with our horrid defense we would be in such a comfortable position had we capitalized on our dominance in so many matches.

2 minutes ago, Alabama said:

Lol...

One good result and people are now going all paranoid...so long we dont fukc it up even if we lose against City...so ye all are expecting Utd to win all their remaining games...

Nah, don't think they'll win out. I just think we have far more slip up fixtures than they do.

1 minute ago, Pizy said:

Nah, don't think they'll win out. I just think we have far more slip up fixtures than they do.

Yes we do...but if anything that means we have to take all the games as cup final...our defense my only worry or concern...

Bring the games on

Win tomorrow and it'll give us a massive boost in confidence. Think we 100% lock up a top 4 finish afterwards.

Lose and its squeaky bum time. And for players like ours who are mentally fragile as it is.....I think we're in real danger.

1 hour ago, Pizy said:

All about their defense compared to ours. They've been horrendous to watch up until just recently but even at their worst they could always defend very effectively. Now they can both shut teams out like before but also have crazy attacking firepower since they're all fit.

Us on the other hand....

Honestly, though, even with our horrid defense we would be in such a comfortable position had we capitalized on our dominance in so many matches.

Their defense is only "good" because Ole's tactics protect it, if they appoint a manager that plays more progressively (which they'll have to do to make that step forward to title challenge) they'll suddenly be very bad and need a complete defensive overhaul.

46 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Their defense is only "good" because Ole's tactics protect it, if they appoint a manager that plays more progressively (which they'll have to do to make that step forward to title challenge) they'll suddenly be very bad and need a complete defensive overhaul.

Agree.

Would say Lindelof has improved under Ole (after a few seasons where he struggled under Jose) and Wan Bissaka, who is very good defensively but they are lacking half a defence basically so if they ever play a bit more openly they will get caught out. Even then you ideally need 4 good fullbacks and 4 good CBs to compete for titles.

We are no different. We have issues at LB and CB except Tomori and Rudiger (who can play much much better). Zouma will never suit us if we continue down the path we are going, he still struggles reading the game and playing out from the back. I do still have a slight hope that Christensen can turn it around but if he is here next season and doesn't really improve he could go. Well thats if Frank is going to be ruthless like he was with Luiz. Few others in the same situation in other positions. 

Maguire for 80mn is still nowhere near as good as he was ever made out to be and while Shaw has kicked on he has really not hit the heights you'd have expected (although his consistency has improved a bit but he would be a bench player at City or Liverpool). Their roles in that goal v Spurs the other night was shocking, laughable really, Maguire looked like a Championship player the way he was beaten and Shaw just didn't look around him and ran forward without thinking. 

The overall quality of defenders in the PL really has decreased though. Bar van Dijk and Laporte who for me are the standout ones, I don't really see any real quality at other teams. Guys like Joe Gomez, Lindelof, Rudi, Matip, Vertonghen and Alderweireld as well as a few others I will have missed are maybe in/were the bracket below but even then the gap between those and VVD and Laporte is big. That young Turkish fella at Leicester has got potential but I do think he has to be careful guys like Christensen and Davinson Sanchez have done well then faded so will reserve proper judgement to see how he does next season.

It is weird though at a lot of clubs, I get the feeling coaches don't seem to focus on defensive set plays or shape anywhere near as much now and it has shown more than ever in the last 7 or 8 years in British football imo.