The English Football Thread

Steve

In a year when literally all of the big clubs are having terrible seasons and they still bottle it and can't win a title ahead of Leicester and Spuds. It's as if the football Gods set it all up for Wenger to finally get another trophy and he still couldn't do it.

:D

• Replies 65.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vesper

• Laylabelle

• Jase

• Special Juan

If you thought Leicester City are the only ones this year to emulate such a magical run, well think again. This year, as it currently stands, it appears last season relegation side Rostov in Russia, are now top of the Russian league with only few more games to go. 

Next season we could have Rostov and Leicester in pot 1 of the Champions league, all from being relegation survivors in their respective leagues....

Leicester have:Swansea,Man U,Everton and us..horrible fixtures but really winnable

Spurs have:Stoke,West Brom,Us,Southampton and Newcastle.The pressure be on them at all times as they play Monday 3 in  a row then Sunday after Leicester.So always on catch up

If anyone takes the piss out of the atmosphere at the Bridge and admittedly at times it isn't great but it's like a cauldron compared to the Emirates. You could hear voices from the touchline and the crowd clearly on the telly. Even when those wankers do sing they've only got one song the Arsenal Arsenal one

5 hours ago, Pizy said:

In a year when literally all of the big clubs are having terrible seasons and they still bottle it and can't win a title ahead of Leicester and Spuds. It's as if the football Gods set it all up for Wenger to finally get another trophy and he still couldn't do it.

Bruh, It's FINALLY set in to all my Arsenal mates that they'll never win the PL Title :lol:

Even they can't deny it, and all of Arsene Wenger's narratives have subsequently been disproven as Leicester City & Tottenham's lack of budget and finishing ahead of the gooners as Chelsea/Man U/Man City all fuck up this season has converted even the most adamant WengerIN supporter to change alliances.

It still amazes me how we did the double over Arsenal....truly amazing. #WengerIN :lol::lol:

People talking about Leicester, I still not convinced they will win it. Since that game against City they are winning games despite being outplayed for most part of the game. This result against WH was predictable. 

But lets be honest, for PL Spurs winning it is better than Leicester. As everyone is saying, Leicester this season can be describe as a "miracle". Spurs to other side is a team that is doing everything right in recent years, they are getting better every season and they became even stronger after Pochetino was appointed, and they are not breaking the bank or doing crazy thing in market. They also a team out of the establishment and they don't have rich man injecting free money in the club. inWe can easily see Spurs fighting for PL again next season, but Leicester will probably finish between 7th or 10th.

Leicester send the message that you can just fight for the relegation one season and then miraculously win the league months later.

16 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Never, if I lived for a million, trillion, billion, billion years would you find me agreeing that there could possibly be anything good about Spurs wining the league. I can hardly believe I'm reading such a thing posted by a Chelsea fan. Forget reasonableness, fairness or sound analysis; this is Tottenham Hotspurs we're talking about man!

I was alive the last time Spurs won the league. Fortunately I was just a baby so have no memory of it but, even so, I have to tell you that once was more than enough. As far as that lot winning the league while I'm still in the world is concerned, never mind twenty's plenty, one and done is the song I'm singing.

I understand your feelings since you are a "true" fan. I don't care about Spurs at all, since when I started watching Chelsea back in 2004 Spurs was a mid table team, and since I don't live in UK I don't live everyday rivalry between the fans, so I don't care about Spurs winning the league and won't be here saying I hate them just to sound a genuine fan. 

14 hours ago, Pizy said:

It's laughable how literally every year since 2003 they are in transition when Jose took a huge dump on them, they still haven't recovered in 13 years :lol: Bringing in young players, but them amounting to nothing. Team full of average players with some rare world class talent thrown in the mix, but it is not enough. I can't believe Wenger is still the manager, he was good for 7 years, but now he's a dinosaur. The club have no ambition is the only explanation I can think of.

19 hours ago, Henrique said:

I understand your feelings since you are a "true" fan. I don't care about Spurs at all, since when I started watching Chelsea back in 2004 Spurs was a mid table team, and since I don't live in UK I don't live everyday rivalry between the fans, so I don't care about Spurs winning the league and won't be here saying I hate them just to sound a genuine fan. 

Being aware that you are one of our overseas fans, I anticipated all of that while writing my original post and your point of view is entirely legitimate of course. That said, when your probable stance came to me, I thought of my own support of the NFL's Washington franchise. I follow them from a distance, as you follow Chelsea, albeit that I've done so since 1983. Part of Washington fan lore I've taken on board is the rivalry with Dallas. It's a good day in the NFL when bad things happen to the Cowboys. :)

While I'm not intending to be critical of the way you do it, these cultural things do tend to transmit around the globe as can be seen in the attitudes of international supporters of, say, Celtic & Rangers, or of Manchester United and Liverpool. It's all part of the fun. The emphasis is on the word fun however. I don't hate Spurs, there are clubs indeed that I dislike far more than I do them, Liverpool for example. If it were a question of choosing between Spurs and Liverpool winning the title however, just hand me that red scarf will you.

There is no ugliness in this feeling, not in the way I experience it. It is just part of the entertainment. As I have often said, stealing from much cleverer people than me, if Tottenham Hotspur did not exist, it would be necessary for me to invent them. Even at my age, I get wildly excited when the two Tottenham games come around. I would hate to be without them.

12 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Being aware that you are one of our overseas fans, I anticipated all of that while writing my original post and your point of view is entirely legitimate of course. That said, when your probable stance came to me, I thought of my own support of the NFL's Washington franchise. I follow them in the same way you follow Chelsea, albeit that I've done so for a much longer time. Part of Washington fan lore I've taken on board is the rivalry with Dallas. It's a good day in the NFL when bad things happen to the Cowboys. :)

While I'm not intending to be critical of the way you do it, these cultural things do tend to transmit around the globe as can be seen in the attitudes of international supporters of, say, Celtic & Rangers, or of Manchester United and Liverpool. It's all part of the fun. The emphasis is on the word fun however. I don't hate Spurs, there are clubs indeed that I dislike far more than I do them, Liverpool for example. If it were a question of choosing between Spurs and Liverpool winning the title however, just hand me that red scarf will you.

There is no ugliness in this feeling, not in the way I experience it. It is just fun. As I have often said, stealing from much cleverer people than me, if Tottenham Hotspur did not exist, it would be necessary for me to invent them. Even at my age, I get wildly excited when the two Tottenham games come around. I would hate to be without them.

Just out of curiosity, can you highlight any incidents from the past that has made you dislike them so much? It's always interesting to hear oldschool fans' stories.

I am like Henrique, I have no particular hatred towards Spurs, because they have no fans over here :lol: But Man United for example is a global brand and people are their "fans" because it's cool, that I fucking hate. Especially when some used to taunt me when we lost to them or something, but they couldn't name the scorers let alone any players besides Rooney and Ronaldo. Fuck United, or rather their fake fans.

I have also developed a disliking towards Liverpool by natural rivalry on football pitch. The encounters are always heated and mean a lot, plus they act like twats. My first game I saw was Chelsea vs. Liverpool, that was when I decided to go blue because I remember being impressed by their grit and determination (particularly Terry, I think he had a gashed head after an aerial challenge or smth). Arsenal I don't hate, they are a good joke nothing more than that.

12 minutes ago, manpe said:

Just out of curiosity, can you highlight any incidents from the past that has made you dislike them so much? It's always interesting to hear oldschool fans' stories.

I prefer to say that I feel the rivalry very strongly rather than that I dislike them. Liverpool are the only club I think I would say that about.

I'm not certain but I think it's a combination of factors, as always. If there were a single thing maybe it's because the first 'live' game I ever saw on the television was the 1967 FA Cup final. I remember a deep sense of injustice because Terry Venables, who they had recently signed from us, was playing for them. I was six and didn't really understand the transfer system . I just couldn't get it out of my head that one of our players was playing for them. The evil, wicked, dastardly people from the land of Tottenham were miserable, stinking cheats. I think the feeling just lodged in my psyche. :)

3 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

If there were a single thing maybe it's because the first 'live' game I ever saw on the television was the 1967 FA Cup final.

[OT]

Where were you when you first heard about people landing on the moon? How was the occasion like back then?

[/OT]

Just now, manpe said:

[OT]

Where were you when you first heard about people landing on the moon? How was the occasion like back then?

[/OT]

Tell you later. Dental appointment now. One spoiler though. If you were old enough to remember the event, you didn't just 'hear' about it. :)