Edinson Cavani

CFC58

13 minutes ago, Jason said:

Again, I have never said I'm against signing players...

But Eto'o was around the same age when he joined us as Cavani is right now. Cavani may be playing for a top team in PSG but he is playing in a relatively weak league, where PSG face next to no competition domestically. 

If Eto'o is considered past it back then, then a similar argument could be made of Cavani because his injury list since the start of 2018/19 season has not been great - https://www.transfermarkt.com/edinson-cavani/verletzungen/spieler/48280 (didn't realize it was that bad). Has suffered quite a few muscle injuries and if you think he can rediscover his best form at 33 in the Premier League, then please let us know where you get your optimism from.

I wouldn't read too much into Atletico's interest on Cavani, because they are just desperate for a striker. Costa has been a flop since returning, Morata is unreliable despite scoring a few lately and Felix is struggling to make his mark. 

Simeone's record with forward/flair players is genuinely horrendous, so many have bombed hard under him. 

Don't know whether it's because he's weak at coaching attack or his eye for attacking/flair players is crap (or both) but his list of attacking signings and how they've done is criminal.

5 minutes ago, Tomo said:

All of those apart from Falcao contributed to a respectable level for us, especially the former and latter.

Okay at best I would say, Eto'o was terrible in many away games. I would still prefer a mobile striker who can press for the way we play and have strikers who are in their prime rather than 32+

2 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Simeone's record with forward/flair players is genuinely horrendous, so many have bombed hard under him. 

Don't know whether it's because he's weak at coaching attack or his eye for attacking/flair players is crap (or both) but his list of attacking signings and how they've done is criminal.

In terms of strikers, think only Falcao, Costa (first time), Villa and Griezmann have done well under him.

Don't think he's great at coaching attack, TBH. He's tried to change Atletico's style this season and while they are still hard to beat, the results have been mixed and no impact has been made. They've scored only 22 goals in 19 league games this season.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Again, I have never said I'm against signing players...

But Eto'o was around the same age when he joined us as Cavani is right now. Cavani may be playing for a top team in PSG but he is playing in a relatively weak league, where PSG face next to no competition domestically. 

If Eto'o is considered past it back then, then a similar argument could be made of Cavani because his injury list since the start of 2018/19 season has not been great - https://www.transfermarkt.com/edinson-cavani/verletzungen/spieler/48280 (didn't realize it was that bad). Has suffered quite a few muscle injuries and if you think he can rediscover his best form at 33 in the Premier League, then please let us know where you get your optimism from.

I wouldn't read too much into Atletico's interest on Cavani, because they are just desperate for a striker. Costa has been a flop since returning, Morata is unreliable despite scoring a few lately and Felix is struggling to make his mark. 

Yes they are at the same age but it is clear Cavani is still at a much much better level compared to what Eto'o was aged 32/33 although what Eto'o did wasnt exactly poor either. Regardless of how good or bad the French league is (its hardly that bad), the standard is still good, much much better than the Russian league which Eto'o was playing in prior to coming to us.

Hes hardly needing to rediscover his best form, its not as if he hasnt been scoring goals when he is playing. Other than this season which injuries and contract issues have halted his playing time, he has scored over 20 goals in the last 8 or 9 seasons. Injuries aside his form and ability has nothing to do with anything, he is still a very capable goalscorer and even at his age, he still has more than enough to offer which is why us, United, Juventus and Atletico are all heavily linked. 

Maybe he wont come here but I dont think for one minute if he was to be made available at a decent price this month/free end of the season that we would instantly say no because we have Tammy playing for us every week or because he is 32 or 33...

Plus if the French league, as you said, is a weak league then I suppose us going after/being linked with the likes of Moussa Dembele, Houssem Aouar, Boubakary Soumare or Youcef Atal, they should be instantly dismissed based on your judgement of the competition they play in? Its a bit of an arrogant comment to make, its not as if the league is made up of non league teams. I suppose the Italian and German leagues the same too then? 

3 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Hes hardly needing to rediscover his best form, its not as if he hasnt been scoring goals when he is playing. Other than this season which injuries and contract issues have halted his playing time, he has scored over 20 goals in the last 8 or 9 seasons. Injuries aside his form and ability has nothing to do with anything, he is still a very capable goalscorer and even at his age, he still has more than enough to offer which is why us, United, Juventus and Atletico are all heavily linked. 

By rediscovering his form, I meant getting past his injuries. He has had a lot of muscle related injuries since last season. He will not survive the pace and intensity of the Premier League if that remains a problem.

Some of the links, I’m sure are just paper talk like him going to United and Juventus, and even us I’d wager.

He may still have enough to offer but for how long more? He has injury problems and turns 33 next month. Unless you know a fountain of youth somewhere, signing Cavani would just be a short term signing and he won’t be performing consistently.

Maybe he wont come here but I dont think for one minute if he was to be made available at a decent price this month/free end of the season that we would instantly say no because we have Tammy playing for us every week or because he is 32 or 33...

The club has their strict policy on players over 30 years old, remember?

Plus if the French league, as you said, is a weak league then I suppose us going after/being linked with the likes of Moussa Dembele, Houssem Aouar, Boubakary Soumare or Youcef Atal, they should be instantly dismissed based on your judgement of the competition they play in? Its a bit of an arrogant comment to make, its not as if the league is made up of non league teams. I suppose the Italian and German leagues the same too then? 

I’m not being dismissive of Ligue 1 but was merely providing context. Ligue 1 is decent but if you don’t think the standard of Serie A or Bundesliga is better than it, then I don’t know what to say.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

By rediscovering his form, I meant getting past his injuries. He has had a lot of muscle related injuries since last season. He will not survive the pace and intensity of the Premier League if that remains a problem.

Some of the links, I’m sure are just paper talk like him going to United and Juventus, and even us I’d wager.

He may still have enough to offer but for how long more? He has injury problems and turns 33 next month. Unless you know a fountain of youth somewhere, signing Cavani would just be a short term signing and he won’t be performing consistently.

The club has their strict policy on players over 30 years old, remember?

I’m not being dismissive of Ligue 1 but was merely providing context. Ligue 1 is decent but if you don’t think the standard of Serie A or Bundesliga is better than it, then I don’t know what to say.

I agree that maybe the injuries would be my only concern but the pace and intensity of the PL really wouldnt be a problem for him in my opinion if he was match fit. 

Again we keep talking about needing a few established/in their prime age/older players in and around this group to improve us as well as help guys in similar positions like Tammy, Mason, Tomori... Cavani would fit that mould. Short term or not, a top player who has been a top player for the last 6 or 7 seasons, wouldnt be a bad role model for Tammy who would pick up a lot from him... yes the club has that over 30s policy but it should be looked at on a case by case basis, being 30 or over doesnt instantly spell the end for every footballer in existence which youd think it did. Cavani would undoubtedbly do a job and be worth a 2 year deal minimum for sure if we were to pursue him. He would be one of the better CFs in the league still I think because his game isnt focused on pace or dribbling or whatever, he is excellent at making the right movements on the shoulder of the defenders or in and around the box and his finishing is very good (although he has missed some sitters before but it doesnt stop him getting goals).

I dont think we will get him but youd think he was a second rate player the way youve mentioned him in earlier posts, even more so the if hes happy to be 2nd choice behind Tammy one lol.

Providing context about the league. Wouldnt matter if it was Spain, Italy, Germany or the French league, my point would still be the same, Cavani is still a top player playing at a top club who is capable of doing it for a top club. Hes scored lots of goals in Italy, France and in the CL as well as at world cups and whatever. The French league isnt as good as those leagues maybe but its hardly dead rubber. 

2 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

I agree that maybe the injuries would be my only concern but the pace and intensity of the PL really wouldnt be a problem for him in my opinion if he was match fit. 

Again we keep talking about needing a few established/in their prime age/older players in and around this group to improve us as well as help guys in similar positions like Tammy, Mason, Tomori... Cavani would fit that mould. Short term or not, a top player who has been a top player for the last 6 or 7 seasons, wouldnt be a bad role model for Tammy who would pick up a lot from him... yes the club has that over 30s policy but it should be looked at on a case by case basis, being 30 or over doesnt instantly spell the end for every footballer in existence which youd think it did. Cavani would undoubtedbly do a job and be worth a 2 year deal minimum for sure if we were to pursue him. He would be one of the better CFs in the league still I think because his game isnt focused on pace or dribbling or whatever, he is excellent at making the right movements on the shoulder of the defenders or in and around the box and his finishing is very good (although he has missed some sitters before but it doesnt stop him getting goals).

I dont think we will get him but youd think he was a second rate player the way youve mentioned him in earlier posts, even more so the if hes happy to be 2nd choice behind Tammy one lol.

Your optimism over a 33-year-old is admirable. Agree to disagree. 

• 5 months later...
13 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

Cannot believe this thread has 347 pages :lol: He was our obsession for ages!

he would have been a MONSTER in his prime here

very unique player

:(

averaged around 32 goals per full season minutes for a 10 year period

including 4 seasons over 30 goals, plus a 40 and a 49 goal season

over 400 for his topflight career for club and country

Uruguay is only a little over 3 million (and was far smaller back in the day) people and has produced INSANE footballers over the past 120 years

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You