Edinson Cavani

CFC58

9 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Why are people giving this flimsy rumor a second thought? We ain't signing Cavani, ffs. 😏

That time was about 6-7 years ago.

I will not be shocked if come February 1st, our CF's are Tammy, Bats, and an very, very pissed off Giroud

only thing that 100% for sure would change that is Lyon changing their mind and letting Dembele go this month, and to do that, we would have to stupidly pay Morata-level cash (or near it)

21 minutes ago, Jason said:

That's easy to say. But Lampard certainly isn't going to just toss Abraham aside. At most, he would rotate between them both. 

What do you think Lampard would do if we somehow (it will take a huge pile of cash to flip Lyon) did pull Dembele thsi month?

1. Rotate?

2. Give Dembele a few weeks to settle in and make him the starter until (and if) he proves he is not that good?

3. Use him only (or mostly) as a pure backup?

9 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

But again, its also easy to say he wouldnt just toss Abraham aside because he came in preaching about using young players and had done at Derby.

For me if we had a better 10, CB and CF Id be surprised if Tomori, Tammy and Mason had made as many appearances as they have. Sure theyd still have played but I dont think they'd have played as often as they have already. 

If we had a top top striker, which is no disrespect to Tammy who has done incredibly well after a poor spell in the PL with Swansea a few years back, I dont think it would be as easy as saying theyd both be rotated evenly or whatever.

Strikers like GKs and defences, are positions you dont often see rotated because they build key relationships and chemistry as well as give them a chance to maintain form (when Tammy wasnt scoring he was kept in and while Id imagine due to a lack of options was a reason why, Id say giving him the continuity and chances to play with the same players most week to build up chemistry was another). Midfielders and wide positions are changed more often in modern day football.

I guess time will tell but part of the reason Lampard, Morris and co. were brought in was to integrate the young players into the first team etc. Lampard will obviously look for quality reinforcements but he also said he will back the young players and be patient with them, otherwise we’ll end up with another De Bruyne/Salah situation. Also, if we’re just gonna toss the young players aside once we’re able to buy again, then why even bother hiring Lampard in the first place? Better off just hiring some other manager to begin with.

1 minute ago, Vesper said:

What do you think Lampard would do if we somehow (it will take a huge pile of cash to flip Lyon) did pull Dembele thsi month?

1. Rotate?

2. Give Dembele a few weeks to settle in and make him the starter until (and if) he proves he is not that good?

3. Use him only (or mostly) as a pure backup?

A mix of the first 2? Although I’m leaning towards 1. Lampard already said he wants competition in the squad and if it’s Dembele, then I believe he’ll rotate. 

9 minutes ago, Jason said:

I guess time will tell but part of the reason Lampard, Morris and co. were brought in was to integrate the young players into the first team etc. Lampard will obviously look for quality reinforcements but he also said he will back the young players and be patient with them, otherwise we’ll end up with another De Bruyne/Salah situation. Also, if we’re just gonna toss the young players aside once we’re able to buy again, then why even bother hiring Lampard in the first place? Better off just hiring some other manager to begin with.

But again, for instance say if we spend say 40m on Moussa Dembele or more on Timo Werner, do you think one of them ade going to come here to start twice a month and Tammy will be happy to start the other 2 games a week? Frank will have the same problem every other managers had here with a bigger squad with more quality players in several positions.

Its all well and good saying that, that FL and JM were brought into integrate youngsters etc but you can still do that without playing them from the beginning every week. You can still be patient with them and nurture them even if they arent starting every match every week. They need to play but again the goal here is going to be to compete for top 4, to push on from there and compete for titles etc. We will see but I dont see the harm in a few additions in some positions. Tammy cant carry the goal burden by himself as our number 9 all season. Mason cant carry the burden of being depended on as our number 10 every game all season. They need help. Be it top top players in the mould of Cavani or Isco or whoever weve been linked with or slightly older players who arent at that level yet such as Dembele/Werner or Ziyech etc. 

This de Bruyne/Salah situation thing is stupid. The difference already between their time here and now is that Frank has already gave youngsters in the mould of Tammy, Tomori and Mason ample chances, its not as if he will sign 3 players and totally forget about them like Mourinho did with Kevin and Mo. I am sure Frank values them 3 more than say Giroud/Batshuayi, Christensen and Barkley who might not survive past this window or the summer. Im guessing everyone thinks that signing 3 top quality players in those 3 positions is not an option purely for the reason they may end up like Mo and Kevin?

4 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

But again, for instance say if we spend say 40m on Moussa Dembele or more on Timo Werner, do you think one of them ade going to come here to start twice a month and Tammy will be happy to start the other 2 games a week? Frank will have the same problem every other managers had here with a bigger squad with more quality players in several positions.

Its all well and good saying that, that FL and JM were brought into integrate youngsters etc but you can still do that without playing them from the beginning every week. You can still be patient with them and nurture them even if they arent starting every match every week. They need to play but again the goal here is going to be to compete for top 4, to push on from there and compete for titles etc. We will see but I dont see the harm in a few additions in some positions. Tammy cant carry the goal burden by himself as our number 9 all season. Mason cant carry the burden of being depended on as our number 10 every game all season. They need help. Be it top top players in the mould of Cavani or Isco or whoever weve been linked with or slightly older players who arent at that level yet such as Dembele/Werner or Ziyech etc.

I don’t know why you said what you said in the 2nd paragraph there because I never said anything about being against bringing in quality players. All I said was, if we sign Cavani, I don’t think he’ll be first choice. It’s a different case altogether if we sign someone younger and someone like Werner.

oki, this makes sense as to why no more talk about Boga,

BUT

someone is fucking full of shit

15m euros is a huge increase from £3.5m

CHELSEA NOT CONSIDERING €15M DEAL FOR BOGA

https://readchelsea.com/2020/01/06/chelsea-not-considering-e15m-deal-for-boga/

versus

Barcelona eye up bid for former Chelsea youngster Jeremie Boga… but Frank Lampard can hijack the deal for just £3.5million thanks to buyback clause

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7785209/Chelsea-hijack-bid-Barcelona-target-Jeremie-Boga.html

54 minutes ago, Jason said:

Backup, rotation, second choice...whatever you want to call it. But he certainly isn't going to start on a weekly basis if he comes here. 

who? Cavani?  Jesus he is a different universe to Tammy.  He'd start week in week out if fit.

Abraham is not elite or top class, yet.  If someone of that calibre comes in, he will feature less

12 minutes ago, ChelseaFanUK said:

who? Cavani?  Jesus he is a different universe to Tammy.  He'd start week in week out if fit.

Abraham is not elite or top class, yet.  If someone of that calibre comes in, he will feature less

A 27-year-old Cavani? 100%.

A soon to be 33-year-old Cavani? Doubtful.

Remember Eto’o? His game time was rotated with Torres/Ba under Mourinho in 2013/14. Was mostly used in the home games, but less so in away games (IIRC).

1 minute ago, Jason said:

I don’t know why you said what you said in the 2nd paragraph there because I never said anything about being against bringing in quality players. All I said was, if we sign Cavani, I don’t think he’ll be first choice. It’s a different case altogether if we sign someone younger and someone like Werner.

I dont think it matters what player or age it is though.

If its Cavani, Werner, Isco, Ziyech, player X aged 24 or player Y aged 31, whoever it is, Frank wants to sign the right players. Those will undoubtedly be improvements on what we have in some positions or he wont bother. Regardless of their ages or who is their competition, youth players or not.

You need to have some top quality in about the youngsters if your going to compete. The balance has to be right. Or we will end up like Arsenal under Wenger, with the likes of Walcott's, Nasris, etc who "might be able to compete for titles in 5 years time"....

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

A 27-year-old Cavani? 100%.

A soon to be 33-year-old Cavani? Doubtful.

Remember Eto’o? His game time was rotated with Torres/Ba under Mourinho in 2013/14. Was mostly used in the home games, but less so in away games (IIRC).

Cavani and Eto'o's situations were totally different though Jason? I mean if you cant see that then I dont know. 

Eto'o was playing in Russia, on huge wages, past it where as Cavani is still playing for a top top team in PSG and if he would commit to a new deal he would probably be involved a lot more. There is a reason why Atletico are pushing hard to get him.

He has struggled with injuries, Icardi's arrival/forn and his contract situation this season has forced Tuchels hand. Was the same with Rabiot last season with the contract situarion. Even then, Cavani has got 5 goals in 12 games and last season scored 23 in 33 games at a much more competitive level than Eto'o played at before we got him. He is hardly past it. If he was playing in Russia then yeah I could see your point but hes playing for one of the top clubs in Europe. I still think he would do the business for many clubs not just us. Id still fancy him as a better option than Tammy. He has got a ruthlessness to his game and even when he misses he always manages to get into those positions to score goals every game regardless. 

Didnt see this post until last one posted...

6 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Even then, Cavani has got 5 goals in 12 games 

5 goals in around 450 minutes this season which is equal to 5 games. He's still a prolific goal scorer not far away from Luis Suarez level. 

Just now, NikkiCFC said:

5 goals in around 450 minutes this season which is equal to 5 games. He's still a prolific goal scorer not far away from Luis Suarez level. 

Dont think he will ever be/was on Suarez's level as Suarez is a much more technically gifted and has that sheer unpredictability where he can turn a game.

Do think Cavani's in much better physical shape than Suarez these days and if he keeps himself in this condition (except the muscle injuries hes encountered this season) will play at a higher level then Suarez will do over the next few years to they both retire. Think Suarez days at Barca are numbered despite him very much being their number 1 CF, I think the MLS or South America will be his next move, but that depends on Barca if they replace him or want to keep him as a second option.

6 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Dont think he will ever be/was on Suarez's level as Suarez is a much more technically gifted and has that sheer unpredictability where he can turn a game.

Do think Cavani's in much better physical shape than Suarez these days and if he keeps himself in this condition (except the muscle injuries hes encountered this season) will play at a higher level then Suarez will do over the next few years to they both retire. Think Suarez days at Barca are numbered despite him very much being their number 1 CF, I think the MLS or South America will be his next move, but that depends on Barca if they replace him or want to keep him as a second option.

Feeling I got watching two of them at the World Cup in Russia is that Cavani was more important player for Uruguay and he definitely had better tournament. 

Not trying to take away anything from Suarez I think at the moment he's still maybe best number 9. I mean just look at the stats. And even now at soon 33 I think they are both still better than Kane for example. 

Cavani didn't play a lot this season but based on stats when he did he's still on that level he's playing for around ten years now. I'm not seeing him or Suarez slowing down... 

55 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Not trying to take away anything from Suarez I think at the moment he's still maybe best number 9. I mean just look at the stats.

Luis Suárez

b0d1320f49169a962a4d07831c274f11.png

Robert Lewandowski

fe1c884bd6a9bc816f56bfc1b785755f.png

Lewandowski is also in a harder league overall and he has a less gifted team (with massive injury issues as well) backing him than Suárez does

1 hour ago, Vesper said:

Luis Suárez

b0d1320f49169a962a4d07831c274f11.png

Robert Lewandowski

fe1c884bd6a9bc816f56bfc1b785755f.png

Lewandowski is also in a harder league overall and he has a less gifted team (with massive injury issues as well) backing him than Suárez does

I said maybe best but definitely one of the best still just like Lewa. 32 goals (g+a) against 24 with 500 minutes less is similar stats anyway. And I do like Lewa unlike Suarez who is very irritating guy. 

I disagree only about leagues quality. I would rather watch Bundesliga match tbh it's more entertaining but in terms of quality LaLiga is much better. Few teams aside Bundesliga is very low quality. Just compere Michy's stats in Dortmund and Valencia. 

4 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

I dont think it matters what player or age it is though.

If its Cavani, Werner, Isco, Ziyech, player X aged 24 or player Y aged 31, whoever it is, Frank wants to sign the right players. Those will undoubtedly be improvements on what we have in some positions or he wont bother. Regardless of their ages or who is their competition, youth players or not.

You need to have some top quality in about the youngsters if your going to compete. The balance has to be right. Or we will end up like Arsenal under Wenger, with the likes of Walcott's, Nasris, etc who "might be able to compete for titles in 5 years time"....

Again, I have never said I'm against signing players...

4 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Cavani and Eto'o's situations were totally different though Jason? I mean if you cant see that then I dont know. 

Eto'o was playing in Russia, on huge wages, past it where as Cavani is still playing for a top top team in PSG and if he would commit to a new deal he would probably be involved a lot more. There is a reason why Atletico are pushing hard to get him.

He has struggled with injuries, Icardi's arrival/forn and his contract situation this season has forced Tuchels hand. Was the same with Rabiot last season with the contract situarion. Even then, Cavani has got 5 goals in 12 games and last season scored 23 in 33 games at a much more competitive level than Eto'o played at before we got him. He is hardly past it. If he was playing in Russia then yeah I could see your point but hes playing for one of the top clubs in Europe. I still think he would do the business for many clubs not just us. Id still fancy him as a better option than Tammy. He has got a ruthlessness to his game and even when he misses he always manages to get into those positions to score goals every game regardless. 

But Eto'o was around the same age when he joined us as Cavani is right now. Cavani may be playing for a top team in PSG but he is playing in a relatively weak league, where PSG face next to no competition domestically. 

If Eto'o is considered past it back then, then a similar argument could be made of Cavani because his injury list since the start of 2018/19 season has not been great - https://www.transfermarkt.com/edinson-cavani/verletzungen/spieler/48280 (didn't realize it was that bad). Has suffered quite a few muscle injuries and if you think he can rediscover his best form at 33 in the Premier League, then please let us know where you get your optimism from.

I wouldn't read too much into Atletico's interest on Cavani, because they are just desperate for a striker. Costa has been a flop since returning, Morata is unreliable despite scoring a few lately and Felix is struggling to make his mark. 

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You