Wesley Sneijder

Milan

I think his wages are currently around £95k a week.

If that's true then I think he'd be worth a bid. I would've imagined he was on more though (the whole Man. Utd saga springs to mind, although there were a lot of false stories about his demands at the time).

We've struggled with genuine quality on the bench this season so I wouldn't be against us signing Sneijder. Still don't think it'll happen though.

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want Sneijder but to say he's overrated? What the hell? Is everyone overrated now? Blimey.

you do realise saying someone is overrated doesn't mean your saying they are crap. But yeah he is overrated, he has done nothing for years as he is in a sharp decline, he has been poor at Galatasaray, and yet people think he can come to one of the hardest leagues in the world to play for a team with ambition to win every trophy and think he will be successful! that is an overrated player in my book.

He didn't have his best season because he was playing in a more advanced role, he had his best season because everything he attempted to do seemed to be exactly like he wanted. For me he was the best player in the world that season.

He didn't play in the hole for Netherlands because they played 4-3-3 and he is not playing there for Galatasaray, in fact if you've watched his games there you'd clearly see that he is playing the deepest man in a 3-man midfield (which is why I compared him to Pirlo and Xavi; I meant his position, not necessarily his playing style).

We obviously have different definitions of what the number 10 role is, which is fine. For me this role is personified by Mata; someone is a creative midfielder and can find that killer assist but is also a second striker and can get in the box and finish very well. On any account, however you define the number 10 position is irrelevant to the point I was making the first post and that is: Sneijder cannot be Mata's replacement in our current system.

No. Holland implemented the 4-2-3-1 system with Sneijder as our number 10 in 2010, when he had Nigel De Jong and MVB behind him and had Robben and VDV/Kuyt flanking him (all interchanging to be honest) whilst also having RVP upfront.

Sneijder can easily be a Mata's substitute, his best years have come whilst playing as the player behind the striker. The thing with Sneijder is that he's quite versatile - he'll play decent ish on the flank or a bit deeper in midfield but his best position is as a number 10. If you think Sneijder isn't able to perform the role Mata is I think you need to go watch some old footage of him. I mean I've been following him since his Ajax days so I know exactly the type of player he is - he's actually quite similar to Mata attribute wise - both can provide that killer pass, both have exquisite technique and both have a good finish on them.

How anyone could say you can't compare Sneijder to Mata is bewildering.

Regardless I don't want him here because he's not going to sit and be a squad player and he's not going to cut his wages down.

So you don't want me posting a video of one game Sneijder played in yet you're using one game as an example to try and tell me Everton are a possession team? We were a counter-attacking team last season who gave them possession.

They also had 50 % possession at Anfield did they give them possession as well? they also had more possession than Man City when they played in March did they give Everton possession as well? in fact since March only the 2 north london teams have kept more possession than Everton and i am sure it goes back even further but i cant be bothered to check.

you do realise saying someone is overrated doesn't mean your saying they are crap. But yeah he is overrated, he has done nothing for years as he is in a sharp decline, he has been poor at Galatasaray, and yet people think he can come to one of the hardest leagues in the world to play for a team with ambition to win every trophy and think he will be successful! that is an overrated player in my book.

So Italy and the WC2010 weren't "hard" stages? Anyone who's the main creative fulcrum of a too team that won the treble or took his nation to the World Cup final is a great player. Obviously he's not been at that level recently but no one's coming along saying he's the best midfielder in the world because he obviously isn't anymore (he definitely was in 2010) so I don't understand how he's "overrated".

So Italy and the WC2010 weren't "hard" stages? Anyone who's the main creative fulcrum of a too team that won the treble or took his nation to the World Cup final is a great player. Obviously he's not been at that level recently but no one's coming along saying he's the best midfielder in the world because he obviously isn't anymore (he definitely was in 2010) so I don't understand how he's "overrated".

as i said before in 2010 he was a joy to watch and one of the best in the world if he kept playing like that consistently then he wouldn't be overrated! fact is his performances have dipped considerably since 2010 and the fact that he is being linked with us shows the media for one are overrating him to even think Sneijder would be wanted here.

Lets be honest he was world class in 2010 and had he been linked with us then i dont think anyone would say he is overrated but that was 2010 its 2013 now and he is still living off what he done in 2010 he doesnt deserve to even be linked with us because he isnt good enough!

Should we sign Totti or Ronaldinho or Kaka because they were all once world class? of course not because they are not at that level anymore! neither is Sneijder.

as i said before in 2010 he was a joy to watch and one of the best in the world if he kept playing like that consistently then he wouldn't be overrated! fact is his performances have dipped considerably since 2010 and the fact that he is being linked with us shows the media for one are overrating him to even think Sneijder would be wanted here.

Lets be honest he was world class in 2010 and had he been linked with us then i dont think anyone would say he is overrated but that was 2010 its 2013 now and he is still living off what he done in 2010 he doesnt deserve to even be linked with us because he isnt good enough!

Should we sign Totti or Ronaldinho or Kaka because they were all once world class? of course not because they are not at that level anymore! neither is Sneijder.

There's a difference between saying someone's overrated and someone's performances have dipped.

I don't know why you're combining that difference but I'm very sure everyone knows Sneijder isn't 2010 Sneijder anymore. Doesn't mean he's overrated.

I don't want to sign him either but I'm not going to call Sneijder an overrated player.

There's a difference between saying someone's overrated and someone's performances have dipped.

I don't know why you're combining that difference but I'm very sure everyone knows Sneijder isn't 2010 Sneijder anymore. Doesn't mean he's overrated.

In my book it does if people still think a player who has declined so much is still a top player. Which many people still believe.

how would you describe an overrated player then?

Regardless I don't want him here because he's not going to sit and be a squad player and he's not going to cut his wages down.

That's pretty much my objection to this transfer. I think he will cost too much (although we're talking about roughly the same money Benayoun was on, and the same fee) and I don't know if he'd be comfortable as a squad player BUT there is the Mourinho factor and I'm sure Drogba will tell him good things about us.

If he sat down with Jose and said he just wants one more shot at the big time (with all due respect to Galatasaray) and was prepared to work hard with the understanding that Mata is very much our main guy then I think this is a decent move. Yes we have a strong XI but you need players who can come in and do a job when the main guys need a rest and he has the skill, knowledge and experience to do a job - for me it comes down to hunger and fitness.

In my book it does if people still think a player who has declined so much is still a top player. Which many people still believe.

how would you describe an overrated player then?

An overrated player is a player that gets more hype and credit than he's actually worth, which is not necessarily a player in decline. Sneijder's hype is understandable as he was one of the best players in the world in 2010 but obviously he's not at that level anymore and many people realise that. What most people are saying is that he can come in and do a good job as a squad player.

He's still a very good player but I doubt the general consensus have him amongst the best midfielders in the world, which is why he isn't overrated. I certainly don't rate him amongst the best anymore anyway.

I think if we did hypothetically sign him he wouldn't be a starter but more of a squad player but as I've said before I can't see him cutting his wages or being a squad player here.

An overrated player is a player that gets more hype and credit than he's actually worth

Thats exactly what Sneijder is getting, He is still living off what happened in 2010 the fact that people think he would be a good signing for us shows how overrated he is. He really isnt good enough to play for us not even as a back up to Mata! as Oscar should be higher in the pecking order than him and even Hazard who prefers to play as a number 10. Last season he was getting linked with Man United, what has he done to deserve that hype since 2010? nothing, hence why he is overrated.

He should be getting linked with the likes of Anzhi or Monaco not Chelsea or Man United.

Thats exactly what Sneijder is getting, He is still living off what happened in 2010 the fact that people think he would be a good signing for us shows how overrated he is. He really isnt good enough to play for us not even as a back up to Mata! as Oscar should be higher in the pecking order than him and even Hazard who prefers to play as a number 10. Last season he was getting linked with Man United, what has he done to deserve that hype since 2010? nothing, hence why he is overrated.

He should be getting linked with the likes of Anzhi or Monaco not Chelsea or Man United.

I don't think so. Not anymore anyway. Sneijder's hype (compared to what it was in 2010) has died down significantly, hence why I don't think he's overrated anymore. Of course a player of his calibre will always be linked to top clubs because of what he's done in the past and he's still relatively young but that doesn't mean he's exactly overrated. I agree with you that we should look at Oscar or Hazard being Mata's back up over signing Sneijder because I don't even want him here as I've said on numerous occasions but that doesn't mean he's overrated.

Each one to their own though, I guess the term "overrated" is very much subjective.

Sneijder for sure isnt "overrated". but he has been awful for 2 years or even something more. he aint no where near his form of 2010, where he was absoluetly world-class and could destroy teams on his own. since then, it was like a big big downfall. also at madrid, his 1st season was good, his second one was awful, after that madrid sold him. he even by himself admitted, that it wasnt fair that he was playing in the starting line-up, because his form was bad. dont know why people rate him so high here..if he would play good, ok, but he is playing bad and even in TURKISH league..we arent talking bout germany

there are much other options available on the market, futhermore his wage demans arent low for sure. in the CAM we have Oscar, KDB (if he stays), Mata and even if all arent available, Lampard. Futhermore we can change the system to 4-3-3 without any real CAM. We should buy either a proper CM or a proper DM and not an attacking-midfielder, who is way past his prime.

and this argument "mourinho will get him back " is just hypothetical. mourinho aint no wizard who is getting all players back in world-class form. essien aint the essien he was before, even playing under mourinho. benzema hasnt improved really under mourinho etc etc. he is a coach who surely can do this, but he aint a magician. Sneijder just lacks the pace and physical form from his good days and also seems really to lack motivation and hunger for the game. he wasnt subbed against Madrid both times by accident - he was just the worse guy on the field (or nearly the worse).

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You