The Next Manager?

Can you imagine? I'd have a great deal of respect for a top manager who went to a poor club because he wanted a real challenge. They don't because they know that there are only 10 teams in the world that even have a chance to win anything important with any regularity. If they go anywhere else, they simply will not win and therefore will not be considered top managers. Managers like Rafa or Mourinho are smart. They won't take jobs somewhere anywhere except at those 10 teams.

Too true. They never take on real challenges, which, if they are supposed to be so good at what they do, you'd think one or two would swallow their pride and help a lower club out. You or I could manage at Man City with unlimited resources, wear a city scarf, and it helps if you speak in broken English, and use ''This is Football'' in sticky situations

Too true. They never take on real challenges, which, if they are supposed to be so good at what they do, you'd think one or two would swallow their pride and help a lower club out. You or I could manage at Man City with unlimited resources, wear a city scarf, and it helps if you speak in broken English, and use ''This is Football'' in sticky situations

Why managers need to get real difficult challenges to proof themselves and everyday workers dont?

It is like finding a job, if you are offered a job at a very top company, with resources and excellent wages, why do you need to choose to be a cashier at McDonalds? Too prove your real vallue?

Very hypocritical...

They are great, but sometimes you read some really dumb things, like your Crewe example, because only a 10 years child would understand what I mean. yeah, The Sun is owned by someone who lives in NYC, but I'm not sure if the owner has something to do with the top source in Spanish football, and I dont think the owner (Murdoch, a 81 years old australian guy), who lives in NYC as you said, even know who Guardiola is.

Oh, you just forgot that City sacked Mark Hughes few months after he was appointed, and Mancini just won PL last season, how can they sack the manager that gave them their first really major trophy after so many years? People said that about Carlo, didnt they.

A football club is made by hundreds of people, so I really dont think 3 ex-Barca men will have anything to do with Guardiola's decision. Yeah, football forums are great. Really great.

Well googled about Murdoch :D

Exactly City sacked Hughes, and the same will happen to Mancini if its a trophyless season. We shall see where Guardiola goes, but saying Man City is the ''last team he would go to'' is a bit unlikely

Good managers are managers who have tactical awareness and have complete respect of his squad. They have a new pep talk for every half time and keep their men motivated on the task hand. Now that's a skill. Best example being Mourinho / SAF, who prepare

their teams like they would be going to a real battlefield fighting for their lives.

Why managers need to get real difficult challenges to proof themselves and everyday workers dont?

It is like finding a job, if you are offered a job at a very top company, with resources and excellent wages, why do you need to choose to be a cashier at McDonalds? Too prove your real vallue?

Very hypocritical...

Whats hypocritical about it ? A lower league manager does the same as a top manager but it is a lot more difficult at the bottom.

The Macdonalds analogy is ridiculous. Its a different job from a top manager altogether.

Whats hypocritical about it ? A lower league manager does the same as a top manager but it is a lot more difficult at the bottom.

The Macdonalds analogy is ridiculous. Its a different job from a top manager altogether.

Saying a manager should choose a lower team instead of a top one just because it is a lot harder is hypocritical...

Anyone in their position would do the same. Sorry, you might try to fool yourself, but you would not say no to 10mi/year and title chances to risk your carrer in a "challenge" at a Championship team.

You got caught up with the MacDonalds analogy, but I am sure you got the point and understood it.

Well googled about Murdoch :D

Exactly City sacked Hughes, and the same will happen to Mancini if its a trophyless season. We shall see where Guardiola goes, but saying Man City is the ''last team he would go to'' is a bit unlikely

I did not have to google right now about Murdoch, he also owns Fox Sports, and Fox Sports just arrived in Brazil last year. Globo, the dominant tv in Brazil, tried to boycott Fox Sports, so some people were thinking Fox Sports were the poor guys, when in fact these people are really powerfu, and The Sun were involved in some kind of scandal in 2011, so I read some news about him at that time.

Guardiola used to be a man that talk about passion, beautiful football and that kind of thing. Roman bought Chelsea amost 10 years ago, there is already a story there: 2 UCL finals, players like Cech, Drogba, Lampard, Terry, Ballack, some memorable european nights. Right now, only Barcelona, Real Madrid and Barcelona sell more shirts arount the world than Chelsea.

I dont know you, but I really dont know what these people at City really want. It seems even the players there just dont have that kind of passiion when they are playing. I dont think there a lot of people interested in City's job, so for me it is really hard to imagine Mourinho or Guardiola there.

Saying a manager should choose a lower team instead of a top one just because it is a lot harder is hypocritical...

Anyone in their position would do the same. Sorry, you might try to fool yourself, but you would not say no to 10mi/year and title chances to risk your carrer in a "challenge" at a Championship team.

You got caught up with the MacDonalds analogy, but I am sure you got the point and understood it.

It was hypothetical situation that Toronto mentioned, I am not advocating it as FIFA policy.

However if I ran a football authority I would make it fucking mandatory that they earn there filthy lucre not from just poncing about in the technical area, and if they fucked up they would have to work there way up from the lower eschelons.....

*maniacal laugh*

This will never happen, you need background to be able to do a great job (money to be more specific). It is not about being smart, it is about creating a name. Then, the good job opportunities will come. You talk like their only quality is chosing where to manage, like if doing so they are automatically winners.

There is a lot of hard work in it too. Also, they are not smart in what they do, everyone would do the same. The difference is that they have climbed their way up (without resources at first) and now they can comfortably choose the best option.

You talk like Mourinho is a winner because he knows how to choose where to go and Harry Redknapp isnt because he doesnt. It is not like this! Harry would have gone to Real or Chelsea if we was offered such jobs, but he wasnt and Jose and Rafa were...

Mourinho is a winner because he went to places where he could win. Every single team he has been at, has been the highest spending team in the league and every single team post-Porto has been one of the elite teams in the world.

There are three ways managers get considered great.

1) Get a job at a great club- Guardiola earn his shot with Barcelona how? Managing Barcelona B? If he had been hired to manage Celta Vigo instead, nobody would have ever heard of him because Celta Vigo would still be crap and he'd have been fired after a year. He did a very good job with Barcelona, but he had the best club team in history and unlimited money to work with. Tito Vilanova has no experience at all and is doing even better than Guardiola so far.

2) Get a job in a club that values stability and is run well and stay there long enough where you can implement your own system, buy your own players, and have the full backing of the board. The three best managers in the Premier League in terms of out-performing spending are probably Wenger, SAF, and Moyes. The clubs they managed before their current assignments? Aberdeen, Nagoya Grampus Eight, and Preston North End. None of them "earned" the right to be at the clubs they are by working their way up. (and really, IMO shows how silly the idea of needing to hire a big name is. Also, if it were Chelsea, Moyes would have been fired after a year when Everton finished 17th. Wenger would have been allowed, probably one, maybe two seasons of finishing second before getting the can although he'd have probably quit/been fired over lack of control in the transfer market before then, and Ferguson would have been fired after two seasons when United finished 11th.)

3) Get a job with a club at the right time and do a good job and their style often is a good fit with the players they have and...they also get lucky. Take Rafa. He did a good job at Valencia but he also took charge of them at the perfect time. Valencia had a host of extremely talented players who were coming into the club just then. At the same time, both Barcelona and Real Madrid were struggling. That's not to say that Rafa didn't do a good job, he took Valencia further than they would be expected to go. He did very well but...if he were named manager of Valencia say, in 2004, when Real Madrid and Barcelona became dominant, he never would have won anything. Valencia isn't not winning now because they don''t have a good manager, they're not winning because they aren't good enough.

The myth of the power of the manager is so vastly over-blown. Managers can make a difference, especially when the club gives them the backing so that players know they have to listen. Managers can be awful and destroy a team or they can be good and give a team that extra bit of help. Just not fucking up is often good enough though.

Would love to see Guardiola, but for long term... Just saw this http://www.marca.com/2013/01/13/en/football/international_football/1358101828.html

Wenger: "Guardiola started with caviar at Barça and would get it again at Chelsea"

I think he is right, we have a lot of young and quality players, he could take them to the higher level...

But if we can't get Guardiola, the I wouldn't mind to seeJoachim Low here :)

Mourinho is a winner because he went to places where he could win. Every single team he has been at, has been the highest spending team in the league and every single team post-Porto has been one of the elite teams in the world.

There are three ways managers get considered great.

1) Get a job at a great club- Guardiola earn his shot with Barcelona how? Managing Barcelona B? If he had been hired to manage Celta Vigo instead, nobody would have ever heard of him because Celta Vigo would still be crap and he'd have been fired after a year. He did a very good job with Barcelona, but he had the best club team in history and unlimited money to work with. Tito Vilanova has no experience at all and is doing even better than Guardiola so far.

2) Get a job in a club that values stability and is run well and stay there long enough where you can implement your own system, buy your own players, and have the full backing of the board. The three best managers in the Premier League in terms of out-performing spending are probably Wenger, SAF, and Moyes. The clubs they managed before their current assignments? Aberdeen, Nagoya Grampus Eight, and Preston North End. None of them "earned" the right to be at the clubs they are by working their way up. (and really, IMO shows how silly the idea of needing to hire a big name is. Also, if it were Chelsea, Moyes would have been fired after a year when Everton finished 17th. Wenger would have been allowed, probably one, maybe two seasons of finishing second before getting the can although he'd have probably quit/been fired over lack of control in the transfer market before then, and Ferguson would have been fired after two seasons when United finished 11th.)

3) Get a job with a club at the right time and do a good job and their style often is a good fit with the players they have and...they also get lucky. Take Rafa. He did a good job at Valencia but he also took charge of them at the perfect time. Valencia had a host of extremely talented players who were coming into the club just then. At the same time, both Barcelona and Real Madrid were struggling. That's not to say that Rafa didn't do a good job, he took Valencia further than they would be expected to go. He did very well but...if he were named manager of Valencia say, in 2004, when Real Madrid and Barcelona became dominant, he never would have won anything. Valencia isn't not winning now because they don''t have a good manager, they're not winning because they aren't good enough.

The myth of the power of the manager is so vastly over-blown. Managers can make a difference, especially when the club gives them the backing so that players know they have to listen. Managers can be awful and destroy a team or they can be good and give a team that extra bit of help. Just not fucking up is often good enough though.

So you are basically saying managers need luck just like every other job in the planet?

I'd take Wenger here in a heartbeat. He has no money to spend and a squad with about 2 class player and still has them in the conversation every year.

Imagine what he could do with our squad and resources.

He also had a team that on paper should have been dominating Europe, yet they struggled to shrug off a United side deep in a transition period.

I cannot understand why people want Pep? Inherited an amazing squad, including the worlds best player that consistently changes matches by himself let alone Xavi and Iniesta, it is always attack attack attack, he seems to have no plan B. Tactically I haven't seen anything special either!

It is going to be such a mistake to appoint Pep and he will get a massive pay off, Roman will finally realise he cannot achieve his dream of Barca and probably sell up! Ok maybe not the last part but..

I cannot understand why people want Pep? Inherited an amazing squad, including the worlds best player that consistently changes matches by himself let alone Xavi and Iniesta, it is always attack attack attack, he seems to have no plan B. Tactically I haven't seen anything special either!

It is going to be such a mistake to appoint Pep and he will get a massive pay off, Roman will finally realise he cannot achieve his dream of Barca and probably sell up! Ok maybe not the last part but..

Because everything I've read and heard about him makes him sound like the best choice for us going forward. It's one thing to have a good squad, but getting them playing good football and working hard is another thing, plus he's a great tactician in my opinion. Look at the Champions League Final against United where he completely outwitted Ferguson. He's not perfect by any means but I like his view on football and on life in general.

Plus I've said this before, but I think he's one of the few managers out there that Roman would give enough time to.

The other guy I'd personally like is Klopp but I can't see him coming here any time soon.

I think what the poll shows is people like what's familiar and are prepared to ignore Mourinho's last days at the Bridge, the fact he doesn't work well with Roman, that he doesn't want to work under a DoF, that some of his behaviour has been pathetic (gouging a guy's eye is what cunts do I'm afraid) and that his Madrid team (with the second best player in the world and millions of pounds worth of talent) are languishing in 3rd place behind their neighbours. Plus there's the old sporting (and shagging) adage of 'never go back'.