26. Levi Colwill

ZAPHOD2319

45 minutes ago, Reddish-Blue said:

It's the player getting the massive wage packets, luxuries in life and top level coaching on a daily basis.   The better players know how to filter out the fan noise and impact the game. 

All this talk of fans, they pay to attend games and they have every right to boo players who are underperforming.

If Cucurella was a 20 million signing from Brighton, no one would be saying anything...it's because the club decided to splash 53+ million on him and he has been borderline pathetic for most of the season (apart from a few games where he looked like a 7/10 player). 

There is a huge difference between boos and death threats etc, the wages is completely irrelevant, the wages are so high because the sports brings in so much money, this whole idea of you should be able to do it if your been paid X y z is laughable, look at normal civi jobs and the pressures of other people regardless of money paid, that's just an excuse fans use.

8 hours ago, Reddish-Blue said:

How does Cucurella relate to Colwill? 

Last time I checked Colwill's spent his whole career in England and you can just tell that he's a PL ready footballer.   If Colwill doesn't make the step up at Chelsea, that's on the coaching staff as this kid should be able to rack up appearances like John Terry/Gary Cahill of previous years.  

Cucurella spent his whole career in Spain until he got a move to Brighton last season and even at Brighton, he wasn't their best defender by any stretch.  He was always going to struggle at Chelsea as he's just not that level of player.  I said it at the time of signing, it felt like the only reason we went after Cucurella was because City were interested in him (for a much lower transfer fee).  

Cucurella was apparently the best thing since sliced bread according to a lot on here when we were linked to him. And Brighton’s player of the year. 

Your right different career paths, different environments but still regardless the jump from Brighton to Chelsea (irrespective of league positions) in terms of pressure and demands is huge.

And funny you mentioned Gary Cahill, he took a month or two to really get going here to be honest. He was thrown in at the deep end by Villas-Boas and he really struggled particularly v Napoli that game was brutal. Turned it around quicker but he was a much more experienced player who also played for England before and captained his club side.

Colwill will need to be given time - as there will be a difference in terms of how we play to how Brighton play, the pressure and objectives here compared to theirs. The comparison with Cucurella is symmetrical in that sense. I do believe he will be a huge success here but like with Hudson-Odoi, Mount, James, Abraham, Tomori, we will have to be patient and as we’ve seen with each of them - they have their ups and downs on and off the field which can affect their development. As can all players.

Edited by OneMoSalah

47 minutes ago, Cosmin said:

I know Mudryk is in a class of his own, when it comes to lack of intelligence.

But this guy doesn't seem to be far off.

I don't understand...could you explain please?

49 minutes ago, DDA said:

I don't understand...could you explain please?

The guy he replied to is a Brighton content creator. Apparently they are friends.

It's incredibly stupid to act like this on Twitter minutes after your parent and boyhood club, the club that you're supposed to return to in a month time, lost 4-1.

I also find it hard to believe that he doesn't know what he's doing, as he's been quite vocal lately about how much he loves it at Brighton and how he forgot that he's still a Chelsea player. Which again begs the question about his intelligence. Does he really believe that things will remain like this and we'll be piss poor, while Brighton improve and challenge for titles? I would like to remind him and everyone that just two years ago Leicester were praised for their great management. Look where they are now. 

Edited by Cosmin

3 hours ago, Cosmin said:

The guy he replied to is a Brighton content creator. Apparently they are friends.

It's incredibly stupid to act like this on Twitter minutes after your parent and boyhood club, the club that you're supposed to return to in a month time, lost 4-1.

I also find it hard to believe that he doesn't know what he's doing, as he's been quite vocal lately about how much he loves it at Brighton and how he forgot that he's still a Chelsea player. Which again begs the question about his intelligence. Does he really believe that things will remain like this and we'll be piss poor, while Brighton improve and challenge for titles? I would like to remind him and everyone that just two years ago Leicester were praised for their great management. Look where they are now. 

I think it is reading too much into the interview, tweet. What was Chelsea for him -  a year ago - has completely changed. He's had minimal interaction with the new set up and we still have a manager, coaching staff coming in. They need to get in his ear quickly and integrate him into Chelsea again

In fairness to him, I was at home last night and chose to play Mario Kart with the kids than watch Chelsea.

I wouldn't be surprised if he even knew we were playing or losing in a nothing game for us, if he's out for the night partying and drinking as a celebration. 

And if he did or was told, he's probably been naive more than anything as the bloke messaging him probably knows where he was and what he was doing.

If he has a bit of a chip on his shoulder, then I'd probably have one too if I was him, given how he was pretty much discarded in the summer without any real chance or opportunity.

Ultimately we hold all the cards here. If he did want to leave and pushed a move, then I don't think Brighton could afford him because after fleecing us for Cucurella, we would be looking at £80-100m to sell him I'd expect. I think the important thing is to show him the pathway next season. If he comes back and is integrated in the squad, he'll want to stay here because with the greatest respect to Brighton, the difference between the club's sizes is night and day. We just don't look the most appealing option at present until we get this week out of the way and start putting summer plans in place with a new manager and gaining some stability.

• 3 weeks later...

If he is keen in going to Brighton permanently just sell him. Not that I think he is overly keen on it and the twitter shit was taken out of context but still. 

We complained for months and months about having players who were disillusioned/didn’t want to be here this season so why should it be any different here?

It would be disappointing but if they bid a crazy fee for him we should sell him. There are plenty of good cbs out there. Goalies, cbs, right footed wingers and strikers who can’t score under pressure there are fkin tons of. Never want us to spend a truckload on any of those in the near future again.