26. Levi Colwill

ZAPHOD2319

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
19 hours ago, Strike said:

Fofana Colwill Badiashile Silva Chalobah is good enough CB options. No need to invest in the defense this summer. Improve the attack

Does Chalobah stay though?    Wonder if the club will look at selling him to help balance the books. 

Have to be patient with this lad. As we’ve seen with Cucurella, the jump from Brighton to Chelsea is difficult.

Granted the level of natural ability is different between the pair of them but still, have to give him time to progress.

Must absorb everything he can off of Thiago Silva like a sponge. I think Poch will be a big help too having been a central defender.

Edited by OneMoSalah

36 minutes ago, Reddish-Blue said:

Does Chalobah stay though?    Wonder if the club will look at selling him to help balance the books. 

I hope we don't sell him.. He is not generational talent, but he is doing ok at CB/RCB/RB. Homegrown, young, has PL-experience.. We can't get more than 20-30 millions for him, but replacing with similar player would be similar cost. 

Silva, Fofana for right spot. 

Colwill, Badiashile for left. 

Agreed Chalobah can stay for that fifth spot just in case but if we cannot shift KK we could sell him. Anyway, either way if we have injury free season and without European football they would not see pitch next season. 

19 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Have to be patient with this lad. As we’ve seen with Cucurella, the jump from Brighton to Chelsea is difficult.

Granted the level of natural ability is different between the pair of them but still, have to give him time to progress.

Must absorb everything he can off of Thiago Silva like a sponge. I think Poch will be a big help too having been a central defender.

How does Cucurella relate to Colwill? 

Last time I checked Colwill's spent his whole career in England and you can just tell that he's a PL ready footballer.   If Colwill doesn't make the step up at Chelsea, that's on the coaching staff as this kid should be able to rack up appearances like John Terry/Gary Cahill of previous years.  

Cucurella spent his whole career in Spain until he got a move to Brighton last season and even at Brighton, he wasn't their best defender by any stretch.  He was always going to struggle at Chelsea as he's just not that level of player.  I said it at the time of signing, it felt like the only reason we went after Cucurella was because City were interested in him (for a much lower transfer fee).  

1 hour ago, Reddish-Blue said:

How does Cucurella relate to Colwill? 

Last time I checked Colwill's spent his whole career in England and you can just tell that he's a PL ready footballer.   If Colwill doesn't make the step up at Chelsea, that's on the coaching staff as this kid should be able to rack up appearances like John Terry/Gary Cahill of previous years.  

Cucurella spent his whole career in Spain until he got a move to Brighton last season and even at Brighton, he wasn't their best defender by any stretch.  He was always going to struggle at Chelsea as he's just not that level of player.  I said it at the time of signing, it felt like the only reason we went after Cucurella was because City were interested in him (for a much lower transfer fee).  

Cucurella got Brighton's player of the year before we bought him, where you play your football is irrelevant, it's about talent and management, cuca had the same manager at Brighton so in that respect you can really blame the manager for his demise at Chelsea, it's something else, this step up to a big club is also nonsense aswell, the club has nothing to do with it, I imagine the abuse and constant stick he has received of Chelsea fans over the season has more of an impact on performance then you or I probably realise.

28 minutes ago, YorkshireBlue said:

this step up to a big club is also nonsense aswell, the club has nothing to do with it, I imagine the abuse and constant stick he has received of Chelsea fans over the season has more of an impact on performance then you or I probably realise.

They do go hand in hand though.

The idea of the step up to a bigger club is the extra pressures involved, media scrutiny, bigger number of supporters eyes on you. Added to further if the move has been made with a large transfer fee.

This is where a lot of players can fall down or take a while to adapt to the situation. In the case of Cucurella, would a few poor performances or a dip in form at Brighton or Getafe result in the level of criticism it would at Chelsea by fans? Would a string of poor games be such a big deal in the media after a £10m move to Brighton, compared with a £50-60m move to Chelsea? 

Cucurella has no doubt struggled with those pressures this season. He's not the first, and won't be the last. Confidence can be a fragile thing and no doubt criticism will have damaged that this season. But those pressures at a club like Chelsea aren't going to do away next year either. The biggest question is whether there's a good enough player with the right character and mentality there to move forward after this season and get better for this club. Again plenty of previous examples of players who just can't, but plenty of players who do improve in time and become important players at a big club.

16 minutes ago, Superblue said:

They do go hand in hand though.

The idea of the step up to a bigger club is the extra pressures involved, media scrutiny, bigger number of supporters eyes on you. Added to further if the move has been made with a large transfer fee.

This is where a lot of players can fall down or take a while to adapt to the situation. In the case of Cucurella, would a few poor performances or a dip in form at Brighton or Getafe result in the level of criticism it would at Chelsea by fans? Would a string of poor games be such a big deal in the media after a £10m move to Brighton, compared with a £50-60m move to Chelsea? 

Cucurella has no doubt struggled with those pressures this season. He's not the first, and won't be the last. Confidence can be a fragile thing and no doubt criticism will have damaged that this season. But those pressures at a club like Chelsea aren't going to do away next year either. The biggest question is whether there's a good enough player with the right character and mentality there to move forward after this season and get better for this club. Again plenty of previous examples of players who just can't, but plenty of players who do improve in time and become important players at a big club.

It just bugs me at how's it's always the players fault and fans don't hold responsibility at all. 

32 minutes ago, YorkshireBlue said:

It just bugs me at how's it's always the players fault and fans don't hold responsibility at all. 

There's no question the fans have to hold some responsibility. There will always be some players who struggle to win over their own fans, no matter what they try to do and the whole situation is amped up even further now in the days of social media, much more discussion and analysis on TV, radio, youtube, etc. 

Ultimately though it does come with the territory. Players do need to be able to cope with the pressure and demands at the top level to be successful. 

1 hour ago, YorkshireBlue said:

It's the player getting the massive wage packets, luxuries in life and top level coaching on a daily basis.   The better players know how to filter out the fan noise and impact the game. 

All this talk of fans, they pay to attend games and they have every right to boo players who are underperforming.

If Cucurella was a 20 million signing from Brighton, no one would be saying anything...it's because the club decided to splash 53+ million on him and he has been borderline pathetic for most of the season (apart from a few games where he looked like a 7/10 player).