Branislav Ivanovic

.Cee

11 hours ago, Unionjack said:

Conte reveals Pedro, Ivanovic and Aina are alternatives for wing-back positions

What about Willy? :( He also looks tailor-made for that position, as he's not really prolific enough for a winger but has the work rate and defensive work needed to be a WB. Ivanovic is anything but a WB.

23 minutes ago, manpe said:

What about Willy? :( He also looks tailor-made for that position, as he's not really prolific enough for a winger but has the work rate and defensive work needed to be a WB. Ivanovic is anything but a WB.

Yeah if necessary. I'd even put Oscar there over those 3. Not sure about Aina yet.

But we do need to look at a player thats used to the role. We have tended to start using players outside of the position theyve played their careers in. We treat them like Swiss army knives instead of getting a proper tool for the job.

We have lucked out on occasions with players that are versatile but if we are going to be serious in Europe its summet we gotta look at.

I think anyway.

9 hours ago, Unionjack said:

Yeah if necessary. I'd even put Oscar there over those 3. Not sure about Aina yet.

But we do need to look at a player thats used to the role. We have tended to start using players outside of the position theyve played their careers in. We treat them like Swiss army knives instead of getting a proper tool for the job.

We have lucked out on occasions with players that are versatile but if we are going to be serious in Europe its summet we gotta look at.

I think anyway.

The club was built for a completely different system and the board didn't get all of the targets needed to seemlessly change. There's going to be a lot of players playing out of position for the rest of the year and season. With that much time to adapt, the players that do will stay. The ones that don't fit anywhere will be shipped out. For now, we have to make do with what we can.

If Conte means that they could be long-term replacements, then they must be doing something well in training to hint to Conte that they could be useful in that role. I don't think Pedro defends well enough and I haven't seen enough of Aina to judge. With Ivanovic, I just want him to leave.

15 hours ago, kmk108 said:

The club was built for a completely different system and the board didn't get all of the targets needed to seemlessly change. There's going to be a lot of players playing out of position for the rest of the year and season. With that much time to adapt, the players that do will stay. The ones that don't fit anywhere will be shipped out. For now, we have to make do with what we can.

If Conte means that they could be long-term replacements, then they must be doing something well in training to hint to Conte that they could be useful in that role. I don't think Pedro defends well enough and I haven't seen enough of Aina to judge. With Ivanovic, I just want him to leave.

Yeah I agree with that.

Its the bit about Iva as a fuckin WB that makes me choke on me bacon n egg sarney!!! How the fuck is he going to be able to walk up n down that the touchline for 90 mins let alone run it!!

And as for playing lads out of position  we could be keeping Cescy and utilizing our most creative player as deep playmaker. But instead we keep the likes of Oscar and Mikel gathering dust and growing roots.

Just doesn't seem right.

I actually think that he can provide cover in the RCB position.  Won't need to cross the ball anymore, or get up and down the pitch.  It's actually always been the perfect position for him.  He would have been a beast there many years ago.  But, I still think he has enough for cover.  If he wants to move on and be a guaranteed starter, I wish him all the best. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

With Mikel leaving today I am now faced with the realisation that I am having a hard time saying goodbye to Ivanovic probably this summer. Don't even get me started on JT. Fuck, man. These are the players I've been watching weekly for years now, this can't be real life.

3 hours ago, Amblève. said:

With Mikel leaving today I am now faced with the realisation that I am having a hard time saying goodbye to Ivanovic probably this summer. Don't even get me started on JT. Fuck, man. These are the players I've been watching weekly for years now, this can't be real life.

I totally hear you bud.

But its time we had a bloomin good clear out.

Its great having lads round that we know and who are part of the furniture but with familiarity brreds contempt.

This is the Conte era and our old lads just dont fit the style.

If I could just bring on JT/Cahill/Iva for set pieces then take them off again it would be perfick! But this isn't US style football so we can't.

We gotta start building a team now that will gel and work together for the years to come. One that can dominate in Europe.

The old lads have served us proud to which theyve got our love and thanks. Its time to ya ta ra and maybe make use of JT,Lamps in other ways.

And lets hope the new guard serve us as good or maybe even better!

• 2 weeks later...