Graham Potter Thread

ZAPHOD2319

Chelsea

Luis Enrique is a good coach with the right amount of experience and is really appreciated by Chelsea. He would love to work in the Premier League, particularly in London, and would only accept a long term project with clear plan/ideas. He’s waiting for the right opportunity and there is still no decision on the next steps at the moment.

Julian Nagelsmann is the favourite for the Blues. He’s a strong candidate but isn’t the only one. He’s open to speaking to the club who want someone in place as soon as possible but don’t want to rush things.

Ruben Amorim isn’t a name that has been mentioned too much at this stage, but he’s a great coach with excellent credentials - and a current €16m a year contract at Sporting.

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F9521b493-fcbe-4aa0-ab0c-383da17394ff_3646x2431.jpeg

Chelsea interim coach Bruno Saltor: “If I'm here it's because club thought it was the right step. I spoke to the board, they have been supportive. It's a massive challenge. I have a lot of experience, I will try to help players and I feel I can help the young players. I'm in a really important club and I want to try my best. Chelsea are trying a long term project, everyone knows that. Graham was part of it, we were part of it — I think the vision of the club doesn't change.”

Understand Kendry Paez deal could be signed in the next days — possibly this week as Chelsea have full agreement in place with Independiente for 2007-born midfielder to join in July 2025. Package could be up to €20m fee — mainly add-ons. Bayer Leverkusen and Borussia Dortmund were also following him but Chelsea won the race.

A manager having big club experience is 100% a must after Potter. People like Amorim, Glasner, De Zerbi etc shouldn’t be considered by a club like us at this moment in time. They’ll face the same issues that Potter did. Dropping a coach from a small/financially small club into the deep end with a squad full of players that feel like they’re “bigger” than the coach just doesn’t work at this club.

These guys are used to managing teams that are massive underdogs or at a huge financial handicap compared to the big clubs in their leagues. When you suddenly drop them into a club where the supporters expect to win every match and compete for every trophy they could get overwhelmed.

17 minutes ago, Pizy said:

A manager having big club experience is 100% a must after Potter. People like Amorim, Glasner, De Zerbi etc shouldn’t be considered by a club like us at this moment in time. They’ll face the same issues that Potter did. Dropping a coach from a small/financially small club into the deep end with a squad full of players that feel like they’re “bigger” than the coach just doesn’t work at this club.

These guys are used to managing teams that are massive underdogs or at a huge financial handicap compared to the big clubs in their leagues. When you suddenly drop them into a club where the supporters expect to win every match and compete for every trophy they could get overwhelmed.

I agree in general but Sporting Lisbon are an absolutely massive club.

3 minutes ago, Superblue said:

I know others may have their own thoughts and preferences on this but for me, an absolute must with the manager is being able to speak English. We don't need Shakespeare but at the very least the ability to at least be able to conduct a press conference in English I would view as the measuring stick (think the likes of Ancelotti and Conte when they first came in).

How many of these on your list are you aware of that you think speak a good/reasonable standard of English?

bold speak English (some better than others), a few of the non bold can speak a little, some non bold I do not know if they do

Julian Nagelsmann

Hansi Flick

Luis Enrique 

Joachim Löw

Mauricio Pochettino

Rúben Amorim (Sporting Lisbon)

Lionel Scaloni (likely no chance atm)

Zlatko Dalic (but just renewed until 2026 with Croatia)

Diego Simeone (not a good fit though)

Luciano Spalletti

Gian Piero Gasperini 

Oliver Glasner (Frankfurt)

Christian Streich (Freiburg)

Urs Fischer (Union Berlin)

Franck Haise (Lens)

Régis Le Bris (Lorient)

Philippe Clement (Monaco)

Kasper Hjulmand

Thomas Frank

Roger Schmidt (Benfica)

Sérgio Conceição (Porto)

Abel Ferreira (Palmeiras)

Marcelo Gallardo (last job, River Plate)

Hugo Ibarra (last job, Boca Juniors)

and one to watch down the road

Karel Geraerts (Royale Union Saint-Gilloise)

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

I agree in general but Sporting Lisbon are an absolutely massive club.

Fair. I just mean in terms of financial power and lure for big players. Sporting aren’t a big destination club for players outside of Portugal and aren’t competing for UCL’s. Sporting to Chelsea is a massive leap in expectations and stature. Amorim would be wise to go for an intermediate step rather than a massive jump.

For anyone who says Enrique's only good job is Barca, he got a Celta Vigo side who had little to no money and just avoided relegation by a point as a newly promoted side the year before to 9th.

Would be the equivalent of someone doing likewise with Bournemouth or Forest next season.

11 minutes ago, Tomo said:

For anyone who says Enrique's only good job is Barca, he got a Celta Vigo side who had little to no money and just avoided relegation by a point as a newly promoted side the year before to 9th.

Would be the equivalent of someone doing likewise with Bournemouth or Forest next season.

Then we should look to Marco Silva. Led Fulham to P1 in the CS last year and is currently P10. Knows the language, knows the league, hasnt stopped working with a club for 7 years. Way better fit tbh.

1 minute ago, Gundalf said:

Then we should look to Marco Silva. Led Fulham to P1 in the CS last year and is currently P10. Knows the language, knows the league, hasnt stopped working with a club for 7 years. Way better fit tbh.

With Enrique we get the best of both worlds, someone who's handled the pressure to win and overachieved having to get the best out of what he's got.

Also if the situation with his contract can't get resolved Enrique at the club may give us a genuine chance of poaching Gavi.

6 minutes ago, Costa19 said:

Oh lord prepare yourself for Potter 2.0. 
More inconsistent team selections and tactics..

Actually, JN is another Potter with some attitude. 

To be fair, Nagelsmann is way better in terms of tactical ability. He really is one of those fancy laptop coaches who analyses every aspect of the game, but was never a pro, so finds it hard to pass on his ideas and tactics to his players. At least he is more ruthless and stricter with players. Maybe the intense tactical coaching suits the squad better than Potters soft approach.  

10 minutes ago, Costa19 said:

Oh lord prepare yourself for Potter 2.0. 
More inconsistent team selections and tactics..

Actually, JN is another Potter with some attitude. 

We didn't even have tactics with potter. 

6 minutes ago, lucio said:

We didn't even have tactics with potter. 

Or he couldnt get the players to execute it.  
I have my biggest reservations about JN but i will for sure back him 100% from the beginning, just like i did with Potter. 

9 minutes ago, Costa19 said:

Or he couldnt get the players to execute it.  
I have my biggest reservations about JN but i will for sure back him 100% from the beginning, just like i did with Potter. 

I read that Brighton and Swansea also struggled to score goals under him, this is no coincidence but down to his tactics.

2 hours ago, Vesper said:

Abel Ferreira (Palmeiras)

As someone who considers this guy an extremely tactically savvy manager, I still have to be consistent and say that he may not be big enough for Chelsea at the moment. He might need to move to a mid-size team and do well there first, which was my main critique with the Potter assignment.

Edited by robsblubot