Graham Potter Thread

ZAPHOD2319

Btw:

Enrique has a 55% win rate with the Spanish NT - that is the lowest win rate since Eduardo Toba 1968-1969 🤣

At Roma, he had a 1,39 points per game, Rudi Garcia, his successor, immediately increased that to 1,84 points per game - and in comparison: the "outdated" Mou has a 1,78 with them. 

Edited by Gundalf

1 minute ago, Gundalf said:

Btw:

Enrique has a 55% win rate with the Spanish NT - that is the lowest win rate since Eduardo Toba 1968-1969 🤣

At Roma, he had a 1,39 points per game, Rudi Garcia, his successor increased that immediately to 1,84 points per game - and in comparison: the "outdated" Mou has a 1,78 with them. 

National team achievements or lack thereof are pretty irrelevant I'd say, unless we want to consider Southgate as a top coach for almost winning euros when in reality he isn't even bottom of the PL standard 

2 hours ago, Cosmin said:

My head is hurting while seeing this. 

It's been 6 years since he left Barcelona. A lot of clubs changed their managers during that period and not one has considered him as a serious option. Not PSG, not Barcelona, not the Serie A teams, not even Spurs. 

In the meantime, he was the manager of the worst Spanish NT that I can remember watching.

I honestly cannot understand what makes him a candidate for the job.

I'm on the fence with Luis Enrique, probably for the exact same reason as most in that whilst what he did with Barcelona was nothing short of incredible, he had a phenomenal team at his disposal, many of which were at the complete peak of their powers so it's difficult to measure just how big his contribution was to the overall in that team when the rest of his managerial career has been solid, but unspectacular.

I think when looking at the options currently available, him and Nagelsmann seem the two most likely candidates and I have question marks too over Nagelsmann as at least in Luis Enrique's case when he had a top team at his disposal he absolutely dominated with it.

I do however think some context needs placing on your post. Firstly, we don't know whether teams have contacted him and he's decided against joining them. But his career since Barca consisted of a year break (similar to Pep), and then taking over the Spain national team since then. He also suffered the loss of his young daughter to cancer during this time. We don't know the details of this, but I would expect it to have potentially played a significant bearing both pre and post her death on his decision making with sticking in a job which wasn't all consuming on a daily basis and didn't require him moving abroad. 

4 minutes ago, lucio said:

National team achievements or lack thereof are pretty irrelevant I'd say, unless we want to consider Southgate as a top coach for almost winning euros when in reality he isn't even bottom of the PL standard 

It just tells you that wherever Enrique has been outside of Barca with prime Suarez-Messi-Neymar he didnt perform well as a coach. 

And win rate ofc does tell u sth about the NT in a whole - ofc silverware doesnt.

Edited by Gundalf

The reality is - even we as fans don't have a clear vision of who we want as a manager. 

So - it would probably be right to not bitch and moan if we do get the appointment wrong this time around. I'm mindful of getting someone like JN, because being so young - I think our group of brats will take the piss. Enrique doesn't instil confidence based on results outside of Barca. Poch to me... seems like the best bet. Managing the Spurs and all they have going on is a kettle of fish in itself. I think at a team like Chelsea - he could thrive. Getting that team to the CL final was something in itself. 

1 hour ago, Blue Armour said:

Aside from the usual suspects of Enrique, Naggelsman, Poch...are there any other out of the box, not-big-name contenders?

After all, this group selected Potter, who is far from an orthodox appointment. Any chance they might do something similar again?

possible targets

(not in any complete order, and just so no one asks where he is, ZZ will likely never manage in England, also NO to Mou and Conte)

Julian Nagelsmann

Hansi Flick

Luis Enrique 

Joachim Löw

Mauricio Pochettino

Rúben Amorim (Sporting Lisbon)

Lionel Scaloni (likely no chance atm)

Zlatko Dalic (but just renewed until 2026 with Croatia)

Diego Simeone (not a good fit though)

Luciano Spalletti

Gian Piero Gasperini 

Oliver Glasner (Frankfurt)

Christian Streich (Freiburg)

Urs Fischer (Union Berlin)

Franck Haise (Lens)

Régis Le Bris (Lorient)

Philippe Clement (Monaco)

Kasper Hjulmand

Thomas Frank

Roger Schmidt (Benfica)

Sérgio Conceição (Porto)

Abel Ferreira (Palmeiras)

Marcelo Gallardo (last job, River Plate)

Hugo Ibarra (last job, Boca Juniors)

and one to watch down the road

Karel Geraerts (Royale Union Saint-Gilloise)

Edited by Vesper

34 minutes ago, milka said:

Wow very critical of Todd and to say first decision he got right then that's a step in the right direction. 

Now next appointment must be right otherwise we would be in cycles again. 

24 minutes ago, Thor said:

The reality is - even we as fans don't have a clear vision of who we want as a manager. 

So - it would probably be right to not bitch and moan if we do get the appointment wrong this time around. I'm mindful of getting someone like JN, because being so young - I think our group of brats will take the piss. Enrique doesn't instil confidence based on results outside of Barca. Poch to me... seems like the best bet. Managing the Spurs and all they have going on is a kettle of fish in itself. I think at a team like Chelsea - he could thrive. Getting that team to the CL final was something in itself. 

I want Pochetino as well. 

I would have love Bielsa for a short stint to get us playing good and set up the foundations. 

Bielsa is good for short term. 1 to 2 years max and help set up the style of play like he did with Leeds. 

Other then that Poch is the perfect fit for me. 

Whoever we get, the main thing I want to see improved is this squad's fitness and ability to press teams. 

Under Potter, we looked so passive and there never seemed to be a unity in a collective press, nor a hunger across the team to win the ball back high up the pitch. We've struggled all season long being able to sustain attacks and pressure on opponents and this is a main contributor to that failure. 

7 minutes ago, Vesper said:

possible targets

(not in any complete order, and just so no one asks where he is, ZZ will likely never manage in England, also NO to Mou and Conte)

Julian Nagelsmann

Hansi Flick

Luis Enrique 

Joachim Löw

Mauricio Pochettino

Rúben Amorim (Sporting Lisbon)

Lionel Scaloni (likely no chance atm)

Zlatko Dalic (but just renewed until 2026 with Croatia)

Diego Simeone (not a good fit though)

Luciano Spalletti

Gian Piero Gasperini 

Oliver Glasner (Frankfurt)

Christian Streich (Freiburg)

Urs Fischer (Union Berlin)

Franck Haise (Lens)

Régis Le Bris (Lorient)

Philippe Clement (Monaco)

Kasper Hjulmand

Thomas Frank

Roger Schmidt (Benfica)

Sérgio Conceição (Porto)

Abel Ferreira (Palmeiras)

Marcelo Gallardo (last job, River Plate)

Hugo Ibarra (last job, Boca Juniors)

and one to watch down the road

Karel Geraerts (Royale Union Saint-Gilloise)

I know others may have their own thoughts and preferences on this but for me, an absolute must with the manager is being able to speak English. We don't need Shakespeare but at the very least the ability to at least be able to conduct a press conference in English I would view as the measuring stick (think the likes of Ancelotti and Conte when they first came in).

How many of these on your list are you aware of that you think speak a good/reasonable standard of English?