3. Marc Cucurella

manpe

I personally think everyone needs to settle down with calling him shit or saying he’s a massive bust. Unlike with Koulibaly, I think Cucu will go on to be a very good long term signing for us. When we have a functioning team he will improve a lot. 

4 hours ago, Pizy said:

I personally think everyone needs to settle down with calling him shit or saying he’s a massive bust. Unlike with Koulibaly, I think Cucu will go on to be a very good long term signing for us. When we have a functioning team he will improve a lot. 

I don't think he is a bust, I think we paid at least double for him what he is worth

But if Hall is ahead of him and with Chilwell back that makes him 3rd choice. For 60m? Last summer transfer window is likely going to be the worst ever. 

KK 

Cucurella 

Auba 

3 total busts. 

I personally never liked Sterling and seems bad so far plus with latest additions cannot see him starting. 

Fofana has been injured but I have huge hope for him. With Badiashile and Colwill this is 3 CBs for a next decade. 

There's also probability that Tuchel had some idea what to do with him - he was known for making obscure/shitty players vital in his system. 

Now apparently everyone just expects players to play on their own, no questions asked

I liked tuchel and I was sad when he left but I always said that he was bad for transfer and with his input in transfer I would not feel comfortable in the purchases. 

This summer bust is another proof on top of lukaku. 

Hence why in the long term it was better to sack tuchel and change the vision. 

After sacking tuchel I think our transfer was a bit better. 

Edited by Fernando

On 16/01/2023 at 14:14, Fernando said:

I blame it on tuchel. 

I always said tuchel was not good for signing. 

Personally I think its more on Boehly trying to make a splash in the first window, I just have this feeling he seen City wanted him (similarly to Arsenal with Mudryk) and just felt he had to triumph them to stop them getting him first and foremost. Although we did need back up in the position with Chilwells injury. But mainly re City wanting him & Boehly wanting to make an impression and be competitive, I think this is why we had no issues to splurge the fee they wanted without hesitation where as City did. Or perhaps City had more reservations about the player? 

Whilst they also were/are statement buys - people probably thought not often Chelsea beat City & Pep to their top target in recent years or a team at the top of the league to theirs (Arsenal & Mudryk). So theres that element too. Without considering the players qualities as I don’t think any would of considered the pair of them elite players. 

I do think Tuchel liked the player though, but I am more convinced this is one of the lessons Boehly and the club have reportedly “already learned” from this summer. Or I’d hope so.

• 4 weeks later...
On 15/01/2023 at 17:58, manpe said:

Crazy to think that we could have just promoted Hall and kept the 60 million for more pressing needs.

and we have two other left backs who may end up better than Hall

Zak Sturge (1.88m big 18yo)

Zak Sturge Archives - The Chelsea Chronicle

and, of course,

Maatsen, tearing it up at Burnley

BURNLEY, ENGLAND - AUGUST 06: Burnley first team manager Vincent Kompany talks to Ian Maatsen during the Sky Bet Championship between Burnley and Luton Town at Turf Moor on August 6, 2022 in Burnley, United Kingdom. (Photo by Alex Dodd - CameraSport via Getty Images)Burnley full back Ian Maatsen has been named the Sky Bet Championship  Player of the Month for January. : r/chelseafc

1 hour ago, Vesper said:

and we have two other left backs who may end up better than Hall

Zak Sturge (1.88m big 18yo)

Zak Sturge Archives - The Chelsea Chronicle

and, of course,

Maatsen, tearing it up at Burnley

BURNLEY, ENGLAND - AUGUST 06: Burnley first team manager Vincent Kompany talks to Ian Maatsen during the Sky Bet Championship between Burnley and Luton Town at Turf Moor on August 6, 2022 in Burnley, United Kingdom. (Photo by Alex Dodd - CameraSport via Getty Images)Burnley full back Ian Maatsen has been named the Sky Bet Championship  Player of the Month for January. : r/chelseafc

The problem is...Maatsen won't get a chance because of the Cucurella transfer.  

Still can't believe we actually paid 50+ million for an average player like Cucurella.  No wonder why Manchester City pulled out of the negotiations, they knew that he wasn't worth more than 30 million.  

1 hour ago, Reddish-Blue said:

Still can't believe we actually paid 50+ million

62 million quid, counting the add-ons!

and that doesn't include his £175K PW salary on a 6 year long contract

that takes it up to £116.6m!!!!

insanity

those 5 summer buys were some of the worst in decades

counting wages, we could well have shit away half a billion pounds or so just from that one summer window

and dog knows the secondary knock-on effects, like if we lose Maatsen on a free cuz CuCu shit may well block him

4ee8f8fd77063af3c3b00c6d169000f3.png

Edited by Vesper