3. Marc Cucurella

manpe

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, manpe said:

We paid €65.30m for a downgrade on Alonso. 🤪

Ripoff of the decade.. Alonso is whole other level, but this guy is same level as Emerson and Zappacosta - players who we bought cheap and never became more than 3rd choices. Wonder what Ashley Cole is thinking on the bench.. 

5 minutes ago, nyikolajevics said:

Ripoff of the decade.. Alonso is whole other level, but this guy is same level as Emerson and Zappacosta - players who we bought cheap and never became more than 3rd choices. Wonder what Ashley Cole is thinking on the bench.. 

Wish I could talk with the moron who decided to buy him as, everyone who watched him at Getafe knew he is a average player and nothing more. That whole summer was shocking purchases outside Fofana.

Edited by TheHulk

5 minutes ago, TheHulk said:

Wish I could talk with the moron who decided to buy him as, everyone who watched him at Getafe knew he is a average player and nothing more. That whole summer was shocking purchases outside Fofana.

That would be Tuchel. Lukaku was also Tuchel signing that is a hill i am willing to die on. All of Tuchel signing were piss poor. Sterling, Koulibaly and Cucu. 

I would sell all of them and just bring back Maatsen and Colwill. 

3 hours ago, manpe said:

We paid €65.30m for a downgrade on Alonso. 🤪

But the desperation to get rid if Alonso clouded so many peoples minds for seasons - to the point where if he was having a steady enough game he was always at fault/not good enough/whatever. Funny now isnt it? And when Cucu was linked with us and City it was pages and pages of “Cucurella is a very good option” “he will displace Chilwell” “our depth at LB is best in the league” and whatever else OTT shit it would be.

And now I see many of them same folk saying Cucurella is a dud signing…. shows how much they know. 

Alonso had his faults but at least you knew what you were getting most weeks. With Cucu its nearly impossible to expect anything reasonable. Barring that Dortmund game, he hasn’t done well but I think a proper coach will extract more out of him and a lot of others here (Sterling, Cucu, Chilwell, Kovacic, Mount if he stays, Felix if he stays, James etc).

Whether he was ever going to be worth the moneys one thing but there is still a reasonable player in there with some coaching and development.

^ And was he really a Tuchel signing? As in one he pushed for specifically? I doubt it. He didn’t want to let Alonso go initially and the impression I am getting is Tuchel only let it happen when he knew he would be part of the deal for Aubamayang, who he specifically wanted. 

Edited by OneMoSalah

22 minutes ago, Special Juan said:

Fuck was he doing for that goal

Chalobah will (rightly) get criticised for his rash decision to dive in on Rodrygo but I don't think enough was made of the ridiculous decision Cucurella made to try and press in that situation. 

His lack of positional awareness and discipline is frankly lethal.

Just now, Superblue said:

Chalobah will (rightly) get criticised for his rash decision to dive in on Rodrygo but I don't think enough was made of the ridiculous decision Cucurella made to try and press in that situation. 

It doesn't even get to Rodrygo if Cucu doesn't have a brain fart

1 minute ago, Special Juan said:

It doesn't even get to Rodrygo if Cucu doesn't have a brain fart

Chalobah has to do better when it does and in all honesty highlighted his shortcomings that he's a decent player but not quite good enough for Chelsea. 

But you're right, without Cucurella doing what he did, that option isn't there and no counter attack is available within the time frame it would have taken for the team as a unit to shift across to that side of the pitch.

Unfortunately it's not a one off, it's pretty much an every game thing and his decision making and ill discipline has cost us a red card and a goal across the 2 legs which arguably have been the key moment in both games.

18 minutes ago, Superblue said:

Chalobah has to do better when it does and in all honesty highlighted his shortcomings that he's a decent player but not quite good enough for Chelsea. 

But you're right, without Cucurella doing what he did, that option isn't there and no counter attack is available within the time frame it would have taken for the team as a unit to shift across to that side of the pitch.

Unfortunately it's not a one off, it's pretty much an every game thing and his decision making and ill discipline has cost us a red card and a goal across the 2 legs which arguably have been the key moment in both games.

I still cannot believe that Chalobah is here, he's a Championship player at very best. 

3 hours ago, Superblue said:

It was stupid, but this part of his game is probably something that a proper coaching staff can help with.

18 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

But the desperation to get rid if Alonso clouded so many peoples minds for seasons - to the point where if he was having a steady enough game he was always at fault/not good enough/whatever. Funny now isnt it? And when Cucu was linked with us and City it was pages and pages of “Cucurella is a very good option” “he will displace Chilwell” “our depth at LB is best in the league” and whatever else OTT shit it would be.

And now I see many of them same folk saying Cucurella is a dud signing…. shows how much they know. 

Alonso had his faults but at least you knew what you were getting most weeks. With Cucu its nearly impossible to expect anything reasonable. Barring that Dortmund game, he hasn’t done well but I think a proper coach will extract more out of him and a lot of others here (Sterling, Cucu, Chilwell, Kovacic, Mount if he stays, Felix if he stays, James etc).

Whether he was ever going to be worth the moneys one thing but there is still a reasonable player in there with some coaching and development.

^ And was he really a Tuchel signing? As in one he pushed for specifically? I doubt it. He didn’t want to let Alonso go initially and the impression I am getting is Tuchel only let it happen when he knew he would be part of the deal for Aubamayang, who he specifically wanted. 

yeah this is something that I feel escapes some folks as I see names mentioned as if players could just replicate what they've done in different circumstances (often against far weaker opposition) after moving to a top club. Chelsea club is an elite club! it does not matter what people may think, esp fans of other teams, numbers alone prove who is elite and who's not.

Alonso WAS already an elite player. A player with glaring weaknesses (defensive, pace) and also pretty important strengths (skill on the ball, finishing, and aerial). Alonso now plays for Barca, not Fulham.

Cucurella may still become a serviceable defensive LB yet, but it just shows how hard this jump can be. How different it is when you play on a more compact defensive-minded system as a defender, and then you move to a big club and suddenly you've got a lot more individual responsibility, not to mention facing much superior opposition esp in CL.

10 hours ago, Vesper said:

£118m counting salary

It’s maybe the one thing that drives me mad the most. For top quality players in high demand you gotta overpay on wages to get them to join esp when they are already high earners at a big club. Granted. But like with Kepa we were literally the only suitors willing to pay the transfer fee for Cucu and you can not tell me he would have rejected 100k pw. In fact he would have bitten our hand off. The incompetence of our new owners is just out of this world