Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

4 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Top 4 should be minimum requirement.

Yeah, if we sign Caicedo then there should really be no excuses not to finish a minimum of 4th. No European fixtures whatsoever and excellent depth at nearly every position. We’ll have a big advantage over our big club rivals.

2 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Yeah, if we sign Caicedo then there should really be no excuses not to finish a minimum of 4th. No European fixtures whatsoever and excellent depth at nearly every position. We’ll have a big advantage over our big club rivals.

if we sign caicedo, lavia and two attacking players and we must get champions league next season 

if kepa leaves, we need also a goalkeeper

2 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Isn’t it highly likely that we only need top 5 bc of the new CL reform? I think 4th place is a stretch but for top 5 Newcastle is our closest rival with spuds now out of the running. So that should be doable. 

15 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

Isn’t it highly likely that we only need top 5 bc of the new CL reform? I think 4th place is a stretch but for top 5 Newcastle is our closest rival with spuds now out of the running. So that should be doable. 

I think Man United and Newcastle will both underwhelm compared to last season. Those are the two we should be targeting if we get the last couple of players we need. Especially once both are in the thick of UCL season and have to rotate and prioritize certain matches whilst we’re fresher and solely focused on the PL.

Unless we pull some magic out of the hat late in this window and sign another reliable goal scorer I think City, Arse, and maybe even Liverpool are probably beyond us this season. Simply because all 3 of those sides can score goals at will from 3-5 different attackers. We should fancy ourselves against anyone else if we sign Caicedo and Lavia.

8 minutes ago, Pizy said:

I think Man United and Newcastle will both underwhelm compared to last season. Those are the two we should be targeting if we get the last couple of players we need. Especially once both are in the thick of UCL season and have to rotate and prioritize certain matches whilst we’re fresher and solely focused on the PL.

Unless we pull some magic out of the hat late in this window and sign another reliable goal scorer I think City, Arse, and maybe even Liverpool are probably beyond us this season. Simply because all 3 of those sides can score goals at will from 3-5 different attackers. We should fancy ourselves against anyone else if we sign Caicedo and Lavia.

I think Liverpool will struggle. They still do not have a midfield and their defense was suspect last year at times. Has it been upgraded, or aging?

32 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

A lot can change over a summer, 21/22 Chelsea probably finish 2nd in last season's league.

Not to mention, Arsenal and United will both be fielding a bigger culprit to our 12th place finish than we will most weeks 🤣

36 minutes ago, Pizy said:

That being said, even if we do margainly miss out I hope not too much blame is put on Poch if the advanced metrics are pointing to sustainable progression.

As boring as the football was that season, we'd be in a much better place currently if Sarri stayed, it was very sustainable as he showed before and since.

Edited by Tomo

8 minutes ago, Pizy said:

No Europe is definitely a plus which should give us the edge esp in October/November where our first harder games come up as well as late in the season when fatigue kicks in. but this is all worth 0 if our mostly unproven attack does not begin scoring. We need Jackson to deliver big time in Nkunku's absence, Mudryk to finally start scoring etc.

But overall it seems worrying how the gap to Arsenal and City has increased so massively. Despite all of our investments we are unable to attract the absolute best that would immediately transform us back into title candidates. If you think of the money we spend, could we have used that all to make a bid for e.g. MBappe or Bellingham? Surely. But would they choose to come here? Probably not. Then there are those older ones who would have probably joined for enough money but would have only helped us in the short term like Neymar or Messi.

I think more important than investing in the squad will also be to set up an elite sporting infrastructure and operation, to become a world class organisation again with stability in all the key areas to even constitute a believably ambitious project that attracts the absolute world class talent.

14 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

If you think of the money we spend, could we have used that all to make a bid for e.g. MBappe or Bellingham? Surely. But would they choose to come here? Probably not.

Mbappe and Bellingham level attacking players are (99.9% of the time) out of reach for us regardless of where we're at (and even if somehow fluke one we'd be seen as a stepping stone to Real/Barca).

Even when we were dominating under Jose 1.0 we still didn't have a cat in hells chance of signing the likes of Ronaldinho and Henry.

They're simply above our market sadly, only big chance of ever having that level a player is if they come from Cobham. Hazard has been the only exception.

Edited by Tomo

1 hour ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Main difference is TV revenue. The deals have pumped billions into the game, massively inflating wages, transfer fees, and parasites agents commission

yeah definitely, but I don't think it's a one thing. It's all playing a part.