Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

7 hours ago, milka said:

For many years I couldn't stand Talksport. In part because of the lowbrow nonsense but mainly due to my intense dislike of that spoiled, self-entitled, never did a day's work in his life, ingrate, waste of space, snob, Brazil. Never have I had the misfortune to listen to an ex-footballer who knew less about the sport. Racing, very knowledgeable, football not a clue. Every time I've risked tuning in during recent years however, though never during Brazil hours of course, the programming has been first rate. Barring Jim White, the place seems to me to have become a high quality operation. I still don't listen much but I would tend to give their output more credence than I would have in the past.

As for the actual rumour, could it be the agent is releasing a story about Paris to gee up Chelsea, then one about The Blues to gee up Paris? Maybe I'm imagining too much about how agents operate, or maybe not. 

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

1 minute ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

For many years I couldn't stand Talksport. In part because of the lowbrow nonsense but mainly due to my intense dislike of that spoiled, self-entitled, never did a day's work in his life, ingrate, waste of space, Brazil. Never have I had the misfortune to listen to an ex-footballer who knew less about the sport. Racing, very knowledgeable, football not a clue. However every time I've risked tuning in in recent years, never during Brazil hours of course, the programming has been first rate. Barring Jim White, the place seems to me to have become a high quality operation. I still don't listen much but I would tend to give their output more credence than I would have in the past.

In fairness to Talksport it is less scouse than Sky and BT so that is going for them.

I still think it's hit and miss a lot of the time and I couldn't sit there listening to it all day but that simply is to do with the people they have on and whether they're 'my cup of tea', similar to what you said regarding Alan Brazil. As an example, I've got no time listening to Gabby Agbonlahor who I'd dump in the Paul Merson category of footballing understanding, whereas despite his Arsenal and Spurs connections I think Darren Bent is blossoming into a very good radio presenter and pundit on the station and at least is very knowledgeable it seems when it comes to football.

Jim White is abysmal, but I think Simon Jordan on his show is overall excellent, albeit he gives the impression he likes the sound of his own voice, but at least he gives an opinion which is largely validated by his experiences in both the footballing and business world. He does hate Sky too and will always relish an opportunity to berate them in front of White which is enjoyable.

13 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

In fairness to Talksport it is less scouse than Sky and BT so that is going for them.

I still think it's hit and miss a lot of the time and I couldn't sit there listening to it all day but that simply is to do with the people they have on and whether they're 'my cup of tea', similar to what you said regarding Alan Brazil. As an example, I've got no time listening to Gabby Agbonlahor who I'd dump in the Paul Merson category of footballing understanding, whereas despite his Arsenal and Spurs connections I think Darren Bent is blossoming into a very good radio presenter and pundit on the station and at least is very knowledgeable it seems when it comes to football.

Jim White is abysmal, but I think Simon Jordan on his show is overall excellent, albeit he gives the impression he likes the sound of his own voice, but at least he gives an opinion which is largely validated by his experiences in both the footballing and business world. He does hate Sky too and will always relish an opportunity to berate them in front of White which is enjoyable.

Totally agree with you about Jordan and Bent, albeit I've literally only heard Bent on the station once. (Wednesday before last when I did London to Brighton and back twice in one day so listened to more radio than I normally do.) Bent was on with Goldstein. Can't remember what they were talking about but Bent was informed, lucid and mega impressive. Jordan is absolutely always worth a listen. I often feel educated or at least informed by him, sometimes infuriated but always entertained. Very high value contributor.

I don't think I've had the misfortune to come across Agbonlahor on the Talksport airwaves.

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

Just now, OhForAGreavsie said:

Totally agree with you about Jordan and Bent, albeit I've literally only heard Bent on the station once. (Wednesday before last when I did London to Brighton and back twice in one day so listened to more radio than I normally do.) Bent was on with Goldstein. Can't remember what they were talking about but Bent was informed, lucid and mega impressive. Jordan is absolutely always worth a listen. I often feel educated or at least informed by him, sometimes infuriated but always entertained. Very high value contributor.

Goldstein and Cundy together in the evenings, especially after big games are pretty good but you have to accept it as pure entertainment rather than anything particularly informative for footballing purposes. That's probably wearing my Chelsea hat too because Cundy is one of the few real pro Chelsea pundits around and so a lot of the banter and wind ups that he throws around are quite amusing from a Chelsea perspective. I could definitely see how a lot of opposition fans would hate him though.

Jordan is definitely the stand out though. Too many people will sit on the fence and try to appease the masses when it comes to radio and TV, but he has an opinion on anything and everything and his arguments and views are always well thought and articulated in an impressive way. And there has been times when he hasn't spoken highly of Chelsea, but I can accept it when the opinion and reasoning are explained well even if I might not agree with it.

One thing of note, he always spoke well when it was put to him regarding the Chelsea takeover. Jim White would regularly regurgitate the usual rubbish from Sky or the papers about the takeover being on the brink of collapse or what would happen to Chelsea if a deal doesn't get sorted and he would regularly shoot these notions down and also question why the Government couldn't put simple things in place like allow Chelsea to sell out home games during the sanctioning period. I respect his opinion highly.

14 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

there has been times when he [Simon Jordan] hasn't spoken highly of Chelsea, but I can accept it when the opinion and reasoning are explained well even if I might not agree with it.

Totally agree.

15 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

he [Simon Jordan] always spoke well when it was put to him regarding the Chelsea takeover. Jim White would regularly regurgitate the usual rubbish from Sky or the papers about the takeover being on the brink of collapse or what would happen to Chelsea if a deal doesn't get sorted and he would regularly shoot these notions down and also question why the Government couldn't put simple things in place like allow Chelsea to sell out home games during the sanctioning period. I respect his opinion highly.

Agreed again.

2 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

Lukaku imo is the worst signing ever, for one he already flopped at United. 

It's difficult to compare era's, and even more so when the sort of money is involved nowadays with transfers, wages, revenue, etc.

But I still struggle to look beyond the signings of Robert Fleck, Paul Furlong and Chris Sutton before considering where this Lukaku transfer falls under worst ever signings in my lifetime.

Robert Fleck and Paul Furlong were both club record signings at a time when Chelsea were still establishing themselves as a top division club again and both transfers absolutely bombed. To consider in both cases we'd go from these two to the likes of Mark Hughes, Vialli and Zola over the next couple of years is pretty incredible.

Sutton was an absolute disaster too just at a time when we needed one or two additions to come in and keep the momentum going for another push at the title. It's always a matter of if's and but's in football, but getting Hasselbaink a year earlier than we did instead of Sutton might have been the impetus we needed at the time for one last hurrah with an ageing side but an experienced one that had come so close the year before.

Lukaku has no doubt been a disaster but at the very least there is a pedigree about him as a goal scorer at the highest level. We shouldn't have been naive to sign him after his United stint but his overall CV is more than reasonable and I'd argue at the very least from that above graphic justifies his price tag a lot more than Grealish and Maguire at the very least. 

26 minutes ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

12 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I'd exclude Pogba, he was one of the most exciting youngsters at the time when he went to United, didn't work out but I don't think it was wrong to go for top class talent. Meanwhile Grealish a 25 years old who did good for Aston Villa, nothing special not worth it. Maguire and Lukaku were pure travesty even a clown knew they would fail from a mile away.

You are not alone. Many here were strongly in favour of signing Pogba though I always argued against it.

Over the years many have talked up Grealish including some here. I never believed in him however and always said so when his name came up. I was stunned when City paid all that money for him.

Rom I wrote off as a Chelsea player ten-and-a-half-years ago. 

I had no opinion on Maguire when he joined United having never watched him seriously. Of course I have one now. 🙂

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

8 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Worst is a big claim but least well thought out I would agree with. 

I'd go a step further than that and say laziest.

All the journalists, pundits, etc would say the same thing that if Chelsea bought a goal scorer they'd be a different animal and Lukaku was the missing piece of the jigsaw, etc completely ignoring how parts of Tuchel's system that was working and causing teams problems and how bringing in a player with a completely different skill set would potentially disrupt the overall dynamics of that system.

It almost felt like the club were listening to all of this and just felt that buying the best possible goal scorer they could find at that time would simply work. 

22 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I'd go a step further than that and say laziest.

All the journalists, pundits, etc would say the same thing that if Chelsea bought a goal scorer they'd be a different animal and Lukaku was the missing piece of the jigsaw, etc completely ignoring how parts of Tuchel's system that was working and causing teams problems and how bringing in a player with a completely different skill set would potentially disrupt the overall dynamics of that system.

It almost felt like the club were listening to all of this and just felt that buying the best possible goal scorer they could find at that time would simply work. 

I disagree with this but for a particular reason. A reason I can't offer any supporting evidence for so it's just a gut feeling of mine.

When, having initially said he wasn't interested in leaving Inter, Rom suddenly announced that he had, "Unfinished business with Chelsea.", I reacted by saying it was more likely that he was attracted by the jingle of Roman's wallet and that it was someone at Chelsea who had unfinished business with Rom. I believe that this someone was Roman. In that case we couldn't say the decision was lazy because I'm sure the advisors would have done the work and presented the facts. They just got overruled by the boss.

I think Roman's motivation, at least in part, was to vindicate the initial decision to recruit Rom ten-years earlier.

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

1 minute ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I disagree with this but for a particular reason. A reason I can't offer any supporting evidence for so it's just a gut feeling of mine.

When, having initially said he wasn't interested in leaving Inter, Rom suddenly announced that he had, "Unfinished business with Chelsea.", I reacted by saying it was more likely that he was attracted by the jingle of Roman's wallet and that it was someone at Chelsea who had unfinished business with Rom. I believe that this someone was Roman. In that case we couldn't say the decision was lazy because I'm sure the advisors would have done the work and presented the facts. They just got overruled by the boss.

It is possible. There does seem to be a few players we've signed during his tenure that feel more like his signing as opposed to a club signing.

It is one of the reasons why I'm so intrigued and to an extent, excited to see what the new ownership of the club does over the next couple of years. It's easy to draw an impression that things will be worse for us because the new ownership will want to see a return on the investment they've made but on the flip side we could benefit hugely from a situation where it's imperative transfers have to be well thought out and made to work because we can't just write off multi million pound mistakes in the market. We're not suddenly going to be Burnley, the new ownership are buying us at a premium rate and need success to continue on the pitch to grow the brand and overall value of the club. Money will be spent, it's just become that much more important that the money is spent in the right way now.

Can’t understand why we don’t seem interested in Gabriel Jesus. He is quick, knows the Premiership and is the right age. Let Lukaku go back to Italy and spend £50 million of the money on Jesus — I think he would be an ideal fit.

11 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Wednesday before last when I did London to Brighton and back twice in one day so listened to more radio than I normally do.

If you drove, that is a lot of driving!

😮

You must know the A23 like the back of your hand. Whole lot of Surrey and Sussex.

19 minutes ago, Seymop said:

Can’t understand why we don’t seem interested in Gabriel Jesus. He is quick, knows the Premiership and is the right age. Let Lukaku go back to Italy and spend £50 million of the money on Jesus — I think he would be an ideal fit.

in the minute equivalent of his last 3.5 full seasons (around 3800 per season)
Jesus has 96 goals
46 assists
for Citeh
142 total goals produced
41 goals produced per season over a full season's minutes

28 goals, 13 assists or so per a full season

Lukaku, on the other hand, after scoring a total of 3 goals in our first 4 league games, went scoreless in our next 14, then he scored in back to back games (Villa, Brighton. 3 of his 8 league goals came versus Villa, shame we cannot play them every week, we won the agg this season versus them 6 to 1), then went another 14 of our games with no goals scored

so after a good start

he scored 2 EPL goals in our next 30 league games with 2 massive goalless streaks on either side of those 2 goals in the middle

horrific stretch

#sofucked