Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

21 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

We also have someone by the name of Ampadu that could play DM. We aren't exactly short on option, but whether they're up to the job is a different story.

I would hope not. Massive limitations as a midfielder which is why he played CB at both Sheffield and Venezia, to which he contributed to both of their relegations. 

1 hour ago, MoroccanBlue said:

I would hope not. Massive limitations as a midfielder which is why he played CB at both Sheffield and Venezia, to which he contributed to both of their relegations. 

RLC "helped" Fulham get relegated and still had a notable role within the squad last season. These players are either worthy of a chance or ought to be cut loose this summer.

13 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

RLC "helped" Fulham get relegated and still had a notable role within the squad last season. These players are either worthy of a chance or ought to be cut loose this summer.

What notable role was that? Don't be as shit as Saul? 😂

I really hate to take over Mana's pessimistic mantle but you can quote me. We stick with the midfield we have we aren't finishing Top 4. 

9 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

What notable role was that? Don't be as shit as Saul? 😂

I really hate to take over Mana's pessimistic mantle but you can quote me. We stick with the midfield we have we aren't finishing Top 4. 

Playing in a FA Cup semi-final and starting a CL quarter-final. Those are two that come to mind.

I'm not disagreeing with you about your concerns about our midfield btw, as I have similar ones. It's the doom and gloom surrounding some of your posts regarding certain things.

Do you want us to spend £100m+ on Rice, as there ain't many notable improvements on the market for that position?

5 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Who are the DM's we are linked with? (ignoring that PSV bloke who is Bakayoko 2.0)

now that Tchou is 90-95% off to Real and we miss out on a free Boubacar Kamara transfer:

Rice (but his price will be insane)

then it gets shaky

Yves Bissouma (but he is not a natural DMF, and there is the sex crim question looming over him)

then the ones that there have been a FEW links to, but nothing substantial

Wilfred Ndidi (will be hugely expensive, and I am not convince he is worth it)

Kalvin Phillips (many others want him)

Rúben Neves (many others want him)

Danilo (21yo from Palmeiras)

6 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

Playing in a FA Cup semi-final and starting a CL quarter-final. Those are two that come to mind.

I'm not disagreeing with you about your concerns about our midfield btw, as I have similar ones. It's the doom and gloom surrounding some of your posts regarding certain things.

Do you want us to spend £100m+ on Rice, as there ain't many notable improvements on the market for that position?

RLC being promoted to a utility player despite looking shocking 90% of the time isn't enough evidence for me to suggest Gilmour and Ampadu can successfully be the DM we are looking for. Particularly when one can't get into a Norwich midfield and the other is extremely limited as midfielder. 

Fact of the matter we suffered immensely this season because of our midfield. Wingbacks played a part, but I will not pretend our midfield wasn't incredibly unreliable for the majority of the season, whether it was performance related or injuries. Kante is blatantly losing his athleticism, Kovacic is injury prone and Gallagher doesn't work in a midfield two. To add to that, I just saw De Paul and Paredes run circles around Jorginho last week with no effort. It was embarrassing. 

I don't want Rice. Tchouameni was the answer and its sickening we missed out on him when he was genuinely in our hands. Best we can hope is a mysterious quality DM is available we don't know about or we will go into next season experiencing the exact same problems as last. Doesn't matter what attacker comes in. Unless the midfield is sorted we will experience the same inconsistency and dull football. 

2 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

It was disastrous this season, why wouldn't it be next? Kovacic is injury prone, Kante is losing his athleticism + is injury prone, we've gone about as far as we can with Jorginho and the best of Gallagher isn't suited in a 2 man midfield. 

I would say what was more disastrous was losing Chilwell, having to ask an Alonso with no legs left (if he ever had them) to play essentially a full season as LWB1 and then having no adequate replacement for Reece who we can drop in. After that, I would say a AM and/or a CF who can be relied on to score consistently apart from Mount (who does a shed load of Donkey work he gets absolutely no credit for) was also more problematic. That is also before we get to losing our 1st and 3rd most important CB's. So, yeah, I have CM as a bit of an afterthought atm, simply because we cannot solve all our problems in one window and the other problems are more pressing.

2 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Not really fair. Yes, he isn't a world beater where he can go in and drag those teams to safety by himself (especially as both those teams where of a standard that meant they should be relegated.) However, equally I would say Ampadu is someone we can use as a means to fill a squad place if we flush Sarr and RLC to get some capital to fill the holes we have. 

Edited by King Kante

2 minutes ago, blues.bridge said:

F. De jong is that bad? selling maybe  Jorghi, RLC and the others deadwoods

FDJ is a premium player. If we actually have a chance of signing him, then he has to be signed even if I don't think (as I've explained above) CM is a pressing issue. 

Only CM's I would be interested in are: 

Bellingham 

Rice

FDJ

However, the first two are impossible this Summer and FDJ is questionable. 

I think Frenkie De Jong is massively overrated but I do think he’d replace Jorginho’s role quite well.

But if he leaves Barca (which looks increasingly likely) I can only see it being to reconnect with ten Hag at United where they’re also desperate for CM’s. We can probably offer him similar a salary and obviously CL football which United can’t but I can’t see us doing anything in midfield until we see what happens with Jorginho and Kante. And De Jong will be off the table by then. He may move within a week or two.

7 minutes ago, King Kante said:

I would say what was more disastrous was losing Chilwell, having to ask an Alonso with no legs left (if he ever had them) to play essentially a full season as LWB1 and then having no adequate replacement for Reece who we can drop in. After that, I would say a AM and/or a CF who can be relied on to score consistently apart from Mount (who does a shed load of Donkey work he gets absolutely no credit for) was also more problematic. That is also before we get to losing our 1st and 3rd most important CB's. So, yeah, I have CM as a bit of an afterthought atm, simply because we cannot solve all our problems in one window and the other problems are more pressing.

Not really fair. Yes, he isn't a world beater where he can go in and drag those teams to safety by himself (especially as both those teams where of a standard that meant they should be relegated.) However, equally I would say Ampadu is someone we can use as a means to fill a squad place if we flush Sarr and RLC to get some capital to fill the holes we have. 

I for one am not fickle enough to believe our season went to shit because we lost Chilwell and James for the majority of it. Issues were there from the get go. Our system is entirely depended on the wingbacks being 100%. That in itself shows you how unsustainable it is. 

Again, you can blame our attackers all you want but it doesn't dispute the fact all of them were prolific at other clubs. The football we play is far too pragmatic and slow for any attacker to shine here. By the time an attacker gets the ball, two defenders are on him. 

I really hate doing this but I am keeping receipts on the members who feel there isn't an issue going into next season with the same midfield. They are well in for a massive, massive disappointment. 

I'd like to see us address the midfield this summer but when you have to start questioning who really is out there who can come in and be almost a guaranteed improvement on what we currently have, there has to be concern.

There are a number of positions we need to improve in not just this summer but likely a project over the next 2 or 3 years. 

What we cannot afford to do is fall into the same trap as last year where we went and spent a fortune on Lukaku who wasn't the elite player we wanted for that position but was the best available player for that position at that time. The sanctions not withstanding, had we not bought Lukaku last summer we may have had a really good chance at Haaland this summer having done some leg work into the transfer last summer.

If our first choices are available for defenders, wing backs, attackers this summer then that's what needs to be concentrated on and midfield will need to be addressed in a later window when maybe we have a chance of buying someone like Rice or Bellingham who would be top tier targets on our radar. We have to start being smarter with our transfer activity. When Liverpool couldn't get Van Dijk they waited for him. When City couldn't get Kane last summer they didn't panic buy and now have Haaland. The last thing we should be doing is buying for the sake of buying.

2 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I'd like to see us address the midfield this summer but when you have to start questioning who really is out there who can come in and be almost a guaranteed improvement on what we currently have, there has to be concern.

There are a number of positions we need to improve in not just this summer but likely a project over the next 2 or 3 years. 

What we cannot afford to do is fall into the same trap as last year where we went and spent a fortune on Lukaku who wasn't the elite player we wanted for that position but was the best available player for that position at that time. The sanctions not withstanding, had we not bought Lukaku last summer we may have had a really good chance at Haaland this summer having done some leg work into the transfer last summer.

If our first choices are available for defenders, wing backs, attackers this summer then that's what needs to be concentrated on and midfield will need to be addressed in a later window when maybe we have a chance of buying someone like Rice or Bellingham who would be top tier targets on our radar. We have to start being smarter with our transfer activity. When Liverpool couldn't get Van Dijk they waited for him. When City couldn't get Kane last summer they didn't panic buy and now have Haaland. The last thing we should be doing is buying for the sake of buying.

Sadly the club seems set on Rice for what ever fucking reason. Chelsea through and through will always be a laugh to me when three years ago this lad told the Matthew Harding Stand to "fuck off" after they beat us at the bridge. Philips is a more natural DM than Rice is either way yet we aren't interested. 

I for one see the midfield as an absolute priority over others. At the very least I will take Bissouma + Gallagher into next season, and hope by some miracle Jorginho elevates his game with the time off during the World Cup.