2020/21 Expectations

BlueLyon

80 points in the League, which means a comfortable top 4 finish.

Improvement in the tactics of the team. I want to see a compact team, with quick one touch play, and most importantly we should press as a unit if we want to maintain a high line. 

Win a domestic cup.

An improvement in our setpiece defending, almost had a heart attack for every setpiece last season.

- Close the gap with City and Pool

- Finish games off

- Not getting humilated 3x by United

- Not being humiliated by the bottom half teams

- Beat Ars and Spurs back 2 back, and keep london blue

- Getting the FA cup back where it belongs

- Timo golden boot

- Quarter finals of the CL

- Set piece improvements

On 8/28/2020 at 8:01 PM, Fernando said:

Second place in the PL. 

Advance farther in the CL like Quarters or Semis. 

Progress in attack and defense as a unit. 

Anything below is a failure for me, anything more exceeded expectations. 

So a comfortable 3rd would be a failure to you?

Also IMO biggest improvement for me would be some consistency. Last season we played super footie for smaller periods. Then we just zoned out and it turned to crap. Think FA cup final. What kind of performance was that after the first 20min? 

If we manage to play with same drive and intensity like we did the first 20min, but extend it to 65-75min, we will win many, many games and I will be happy with the season. 

Also stop fucking around with Arse and Spuds and beat them.

15 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

'From the next season there is no excuse, we HAVE to fight for the title': Nemanja Matic insists Man Utd must be among title contenders after showing the 'proper' United post-lockdown

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8678683/Nemanja-Matic-outlines-Manchester-Uniteds-Premier-League-title-ambitions.html#

I do not like Matic or UTD and I do not think they have any chance but this is the right mentality. I wish some of our fans have the same.

Player mentality and fan expectations are two completely different things though.

For sure I want the players to have a mentality where they go to every game with the idea of winning it and be devastated if they don't, but as fans I think we have to be realistic and acknowledge the fact that a 30 points improvement after one transfer window and pretty much no pre-season is not a realistic expectation to have.

Obviously a big improvement over last season is still a must but I'd rather the fans be happy to just see progress than throw tantrums and demand everyone sacked/sold if the team is not quite ready to challenge for the title just yet. The rebuild is still very much on and the current top2 are among the best teams the league has ever seen. In 2021/22 season I would fully expect to be among the serious league title and CL contenders though.

My expectations are a bit higher than most of yours.

I am not talking about the title but at least a push for it  for a good few months into the season.And I consider a push being in less than 10 points away from the top two till the CL knockout stages begin(late February.This guarantees us a top 4 place IMO.

I also expect a CL quarterfinal.Anything more is a bonus.Being competitive against  every opponent is also a must.Don't wanna see another trashing like the Bayern one.We should absolutely fight for the 1st place in our group in order to have a better chance for an easier opponent because we ended second in our last two campaigns and...it didn't end well.

Cups are unpredictable but it will be nice if we get to a final.

Of course is not only about points or position -  we have a lot of things in our play that I want to see being changed.Our set-piece defending should be adressed,we should cope better with the opponents's counter-attacks and our build-up play must be better than the last few months.IMO we have regressed quite a bit in this aspect and we should definitely train it if we want to compete with the big boys.

Overall,I don't expect wonders but I think some of you lower their standards because of Lampard(maybe unconsciously).I won't criticise him at the first opportunity but the free-pass season has ended and I am sure he knows it.We will have fun,that's for sure.

On 31/08/2020 at 9:46 AM, Jype said:

Player mentality and fan expectations are two completely different things though.

For sure I want the players to have a mentality where they go to every game with the idea of winning it and be devastated if they don't, but as fans I think we have to be realistic and acknowledge the fact that a 30 points improvement after one transfer window and pretty much no pre-season is not a realistic expectation to have.

Obviously a big improvement over last season is still a must but I'd rather the fans be happy to just see progress than throw tantrums and demand everyone sacked/sold if the team is not quite ready to challenge for the title just yet. The rebuild is still very much on and the current top2 are among the best teams the league has ever seen. In 2021/22 season I would fully expect to be among the serious league title and CL contenders though.

That's what worries me, you just know the "we spent £250m we should be in this title race" comments will arise when City and Liverpool inevitably build a gap to the rest again.

In my opinion expectation management has been a problem within the fanbase for the last two season's, the great start's we had last season and under Sarri made expectations (relative to our squad quality) too high and when the inevitable blip happened people were genuinely acting like it was a title winning side collapsing (especially under Sarri) as opposed to the reality that the title was never a realistic possibility.

People should take a breather, we aint challenging for the title, its unfair pressure. City and pool have established squads and managers, there should be more expectations on udt imo, spent 200 last season, spent 45 this window and far from finished spending.

Compared to the 19/20 season we have:

The above three points do not guarantee X amount of points in the 20/21 season. Other teams have also improved, we will have up to 6 new players starting that need to find a flow with each other, injuries could take place etc.

Still, it would be extremely unambitious to plan on staying on a status quo. Personally, I expect at the very least 15 points more compared to previous season, plus a much more convincing run in the CL (its not about winning it, its about sweeping teams like Lille and Valencia out of the way, while not getting humiliated by teams of Bayern's caliber).

An acceptable allowance for Goals Against would be up to 40 imo. We should also be justified in targeting scoring around 80 goals in the league. Goal difference is not a target itself, but it is a relevant statistic. Being around +40 is what I expect for 20/21 (clear improvement from this season without being at the level of Pool or Man C just yet). 

• 1 month later...
On 10.10.2020 at 9:43 PM, NikkiCFC said:

I see many of you want top 4 finish and 80-85 points. 

But looking at City and Liverpool I think 85 points can get you a title this season. 

It’s still super early so we can not really be sure if the season will be as Crazy as the first few games suggest . For sure teams with less midweek commitments will have a massive advantage amidst the frantic schedule. Usually it takes more than 86 points to win the title and the Last 3 seasons were more of an exception so I can definitely see a bit more tension at the tipsy but pool have a huge advantage in how they are riding the wave cheered on by media and fA and also they can grind teams down in games that are on the edge better than any other team in the league currently. 

• 2 months later...
On 8/29/2020 at 0:59 AM, Jason said:

- Show clear progression (duh!)

- Close the gap on the top two

- No more fucking about for a Top 4 finish. Must finish in it comfortably!

- Win at least one of the domestic trophies

- This one would depend on our luck but get past the UCL Round of 16 at least

Might have to start revising my expectations... 

• 2 months later...