21. Ben Chilwell

Strike

55 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

It's all based on the severity of the tear and if the knee can be stabilized. 

Experts way in their judgment but I am assuming their initial thought is that the tear isn't significant enough to have surgery and the best initial solution is to strengthen the muscles around the knee for greater stability. 

All in All, we are fortunate of this news and we are even more fortunate this happened on Chilwell's right leg. 

1 hour ago, OneMoSalah said:

Would imagine it will probably require/be best bet to get the surgery so wouldnt be overly hopeful for him being back in 6 weeks and training yet alone available for selection. I don’t get how someone could, even with a partial injury as opposed to a more severe injury to their ACL, be back and training/playing in 6 weeks.

Seems very optimistic and unrealistic. 

Shame as he was playing the best football he has played in our shirt but its just unfortunate these things happen.

I think  @MoroccanBlue is right on this one. Usually surgery on the ACL will involve either patching the ripped ends together, which is only possible in case of full tear obviously or replace the entire ligament with  one of the hamstring ligaments, which causes a significant loss in athleticism. Hence I think it would be foolish to have surgery esp when Chilly is already responding to conservative treatment.

Edited by Magic Lamps

1 hour ago, ulvhedin said:

Why would we splash huge money on LB when we have Chilwell? Not to mention none of Ben and Theo would like to be a backup, it's not FM

Yep. It'll have to be someone who can play both flanks or a young, promising LB - like a Tsimikas or Tavares

Bad news he has a form of a ACL, good news that it is not that bad. From what TT said, it may be that he is back in 6-8 weeks, if that is the case no real need to buy another LWB or recall someone. 

Let's pray it all goes well and he is back in Jan/Feb. 

1 hour ago, ulvhedin said:

Why would we splash huge money on LB when we have Chilwell? Not to mention none of Ben and Theo would like to be a backup, it's not FM

I still am sold on Theo as the better LB/LWB and we play so many games that there are minutes to go round

and Theo can play LCB as well, if Rudiger bounces and we do not buy cover

Alonso is oki for the rest of the year, but we need to upgrade soon on him

Edited by Vesper

The thing is who is going to come in and accept being a LWB2 who is better than Alonso? I get that everyone wants an upgrade to him, and him being 30+ means we will need to do so at some point, however I cannot see anyone going for it as they know Chilwell will be fit again (potentially soon.)

In regard to TH @Vesper how capable is he at playing LCB? Is he actually someone we can use there, then shift over in case of injury/lack of form from Chilwell? I ask as I can only see us getting someone like him if he knows he is going to start on a regular basis/I cannot see the club dropping serious dollar (€60m+) on someone who is going to act as back up LWB/LCB. 

In my opinion, the way the club will go is to monitor Matsen and see how things play out for the rest of the season with Alonso. Obviously if Chilwell is out for the rest of the season with a ACL (and all the risks to future performance that may entail) then a top LWB may be required. However, unless Chilwell has to have surgery and it looks like he won't be the same then I just cannot see us doing anything crazy. 

Edited by King Kante

2 minutes ago, King Kante said:

The thing is who is going to come in and accept being a LWB2 who is better than Alonso? I get that everyone wants an upgrade to him, and him being 30+ means we will need to do so at some point, however I cannot see anyone going for it as they know Chilwell will be fit again (potentially soon.)

In regard to TH @Vesper how capable is he at playing LCB? Is he actually someone we can use there, then shift over in case of injury/lack of form from Chilwell? I ask as I can only see us getting someone like him if he knows he is going to start on a regular basis/I cannot see the club dropping serious dollar (€60m+) on someone who is going to act as back up LWB/LCB. 

In my opinion, the way the club will go is to monitor Matsen and see how things play out for the rest of the season with Alonso. Obviously if Chilwell is out for the rest of the season with a ACL (and all the risks to future performance that may entail) then a top LWB may be required. However, unless Chilwell has to have surgery and it looks like he won't be the same then I just cannot see us doing anything crazy. 

I know Theo would never happen in January

I said that first

and is a HARD pull in summer anyway

he just is the best LB option out there who is remotely available

and I have seen him play LCB and he looked very good

PSG have FOUR LB's lol, all of capable of starting for 80-905 of most teams

so IF Alonso was sold we surely can carry two

and for this season, it is likely we try to play Saul there is needed, that actually may well work if Alonso cannot go

Matt Law is convinced this 6 week assessment is only a delay in the inevitable. He will be needing surgery. Stabalising the knee by strengthening the muscles around it would only be beneficial to those not involved in high intensity sports. Since the tendon can not heal itself, surgery will have to be required or there will be significant risk the knee will give out in the future. 

I would have to agree if the tear is a grade 2. Surely there has to be LB/LWB options available in January? Liverpool got that bloke from Olympiacos who 90% of people never heard of and he is fitting like a glove. 

I don’t think we will sign another LWB, it will probably end up being us recalling Maatsen. If Alonso were to ask to leave, then maybe, but he wont. He knows he will have a big role between now and the end of the season with Ben likely to require surgery.

There will be more pressing concerns in January if we are to do some business anyway, particularly if Rudi and Andreas’ renewals don’t happen soon enough, a CB will undoubtedly be looked at either with the aim of getting it done in January for the present or for having everything in place for moving at the end of the season (thats without mentioning Thiago Silva and the fact he will be 38 in September also).

Edited by OneMoSalah

• 2 weeks later...

I want to know more about the significance of his tear. The grade is of most importance. If its grade 1 then it was only a few torn fibers, where as a grade 2 is a partial tear. The ACL cannot heal itself if there is a tear so, so more than likely if it is grade 2 it will be needing surgery. 

By the sound of it, it could only be a grade 1 which is absolutely fantastic news. 

Apprantly, he was always expected to train again before any decision was made. Obviously good news that it didn't deteriorate before he got to training but I am not sure too much should be read into this. 

Give it another two weeks and I think we'll know if we have him back in Jan or next season.