21. Ben Chilwell

Strike

He is gonna turn 24 end of year. He should have 2 more years of development and then he better be the finished article we need. People act like he is fresh out of school but he is a seasoned wok veteran who still plays like a promising 20 y.o. He must grow the fuck up quickly

No one is acting like that. He's our left back now and he's performed better over the last 2 years than any left back we've had for a while other than in a wingback system.

Not sure why he needs to "grow the fuck up quickly" and what he's done to make you think he isn't grown up. Also players develop at different rates. What 24 means to one is different to another. A players prime is generally mid to late 20s of which he currently isn't.

The market is the way it is and the fact of the matter is if we want a play we have to pay a premium 9 times out of 10.

No one is expecting or should be expecting him to be Ashley Cole 2.0. It'd be great if he became that but it's unlikely.

Were Werner and Ziyech even presented with shirt? I thought they are saving for all of them to pose together, but Ig is full of Chilwell posing and interviews...its funny how it looks now that Chilwell is the biggest signing so far😄

No one is acting like that. He's our left back now and he's performed better over the last 2 years than any left back we've had for a while other than in a wingback system.

Not sure why he needs to "grow the fuck up quickly" and what he's done to make you think he isn't grown up. Also players develop at different rates. What 24 means to one is different to another. A players prime is generally mid to late 20s of which he currently isn't.

The market is the way it is and the fact of the matter is if we want a play we have to pay a premium 9 times out of 10.

No one is expecting or should be expecting him to be Ashley Cole 2.0. It'd be great if he became that but it's unlikely.

The market is pretty normal. Reguilon, Telles and Tagliafico were all around 25-30 million Euros range, but we chose to go for Chilwell and make him the second most expensive LB of all time. He earns very likely quite a lot.

So expectations are quite high. So he needs to get fit first because he is injured for a while now and after that, he needs to show that he is Chelsea level. Next season will be tough because we slaughtered Emerson and Alonso when they played bad against Mahrez. This time they have to face Messi lol.

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk

1 hour ago, BlueLyon said:

Were Werner and Ziyech even presented with shirt? I thought they are saving for all of them to pose together, but Ig is full of Chilwell posing and interviews...its funny how it looks now that Chilwell is the biggest signing so far😄

Werner and Ziyech weren't even in the country at the time of signing. And I'd assume sponsorship reasons play a part too. New shirt sponsorship with 3 only started in July so the club probably didn't want to present them with the old shirt and Yokohama sponsorship.

10 hours ago, Stats said:

I remember when Leicester beat us season before the one that just ended. Was looking back at my comments on his performance: Just under 2 years later we have signed him :)

Football is a funny old game. Hopefully he locks down this position for years to come and becomes England's main LB too.

Ben certainly has ability, and ability is the part of the equation which can't be taught or learned. Having it is therefore a very good starting point. This transfer hasn't yet generated any excitement for me but I'm hoping Ben will change that once he gets fit.

I think he'll make us better to watch. Far better athlete than even Emerson let alone Alonso. Has better dribbling and passing. I expect our build up on the left is gonna improve massively.

His actual crossing seems average, neither great or terrible but playing with Vardy may help Werner. Chilwell would often play long balls into channels for Vardy so thats a way to play the long wall that suits Werner.

Defensively he'll be frustrating imo but I'm assuming he will approve *somewhat* given his age the question is whether he improves enough.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Supermonkey92 said:

I think he'll make us better to watch. Far better athlete than even Emerson let alone Alonso. Has better dribbling and passing. I expect our build up on the left is gonna improve massively.

Ben's choice of passing and his pass execution are aspects of his game which have received particular criticism on Foxestalk. For example, they say he chooses to go backwards too often when options to go forward are available. I give a lot of weight to fan opinion; how many pundits know the Chelsea squad better than we who watch every game they play? The same goes for team X, and fans of team X.

6 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Ben's choice of passing and his pass execution are aspects of his game which have received particular criticism on Foxestalk. For example, they say he chooses to go backwards too often when options to go forward are available. I give a lot of weight to fan opinion; how many pundits know the Chelsea squad better than we who watch every game they play? The same goes for team X, and fans of team X.

Funnily enough, Chilwell passes backward less than Alonso and forward more than Alonso. The 2019/20 Premier League Distribution Comparison below...

EgFwazgVAAIyV-f?format=png&name=900x900 vs EgFwazhU8AU1i7O?format=png&name=900x900

^^Firstly, I'm not offering my own opinion, just reporting what committed Leicester fans have said. For all I know, had I watched the performances they have, I would have disagreed with them.

I'm not a big believer in stats. The 'metric' (in reality it's no such thing) I prefer is opportunity cost. When I'm trying to assess a player I'm constantly asking if I could reasonably have expected him to do better in that situation? How many players can I think of who I think would have done better there? I'm less interested in forward or back, than in good choice or  bad choice. I don't care how often a player shoots, I only care whether or not the choice to shoot was a better option than any pass which might have been available.

Fair point about his choice of passing I haven't watched him that much to say anything what I would say is that his passing is quicker, more crisp than our two.

8 minutes ago, Supermonkey92 said:

Fair point about his choice of passing I haven't watched him that much to say anything what I would say is that his passing is quicker, more crisp than our two.

I agree, the bar isn't set too high although I think I've always liked Marcos better than many here.

His pace and athleticism I think will be seen as a big difference this coming season.

We attacked far too much down the right hand side last season and not only left us lop sided and predictable but on the right hand side we also had two right footed players in Willian and either Azpi or James both looking to get into the same crossing position.

I believe that Lampard's recruitment has revolved around arming ourselves with players that can attack all the different attacking channels and positions, making us much more difficult to defend against.

The left hand side I would expect to see Chilwell and then Pulisic or CHO and the right hand side James/Azpi and Ziyech or Havertz. So the two attacking players playing on the opposite flank to their strong foot, with the opportunities to cut or drift inside for a shot or cross from a different angle and two full backs prepared to overlap and provide the width.

15 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

His pace and athleticism I think will be seen as a big difference this coming season.

We attacked far too much down the right hand side last season and not only left us lop sided and predictable but on the right hand side we also had two right footed players in Willian and either Azpi or James both looking to get into the same crossing position.

I believe that Lampard's recruitment has revolved around arming ourselves with players that can attack all the different attacking channels and positions, making us much more difficult to defend against.

The left hand side I would expect to see Chilwell and then Pulisic or CHO and the right hand side James/Azpi and Ziyech or Havertz. So the two attacking players playing on the opposite flank to their strong foot, with the opportunities to cut or drift inside for a shot or cross from a different angle and two full backs prepared to overlap and provide the width.

Just like Bayern who we should be emulating. The high pressing, the wing play, the overlapping fullbacks, and quick transitions. Hoping Lamps models his style of play that way.