Mikel John Obi

Badboy

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, CHOULO19 said:

Whatever we say about him, his attitude has always been top notch and is one of the good guys. Been a loyal and useful servant all these years. Still remember the young Mikel who we nicked right under SAF's nose, it seemed like he used to get booked or suspended every other game :lol: Shame he couldn't keep some of that aggression in his later career, has become far too mellow to be a major player.

20 hours ago, manpe said:

Whatever we say about him, his attitude has always been top notch and is one of the good guys. Been a loyal and useful servant all these years. Still remember the young Mikel who we nicked right under SAF's nose, it seemed like he used to get booked or suspended every other game :lol: Shame he couldn't keep some of that aggression in his later career, has become far too mellow to be a major player.

interesting... IMO you contradicted yourself in the post above.

I have a hard time imagining any (like you call) 'major player' having mikel's attitude towards playing time and role: being a nice mellow guy who's not competitive (even within the squad) automatically makes him not good enough for a top club. Football is nothing but competition: you compete to get playing time; for better agent and contract; you compete for possession; you compete for yards (with and without possession), and once your are big enough you compete for media attention too. ;)

In terms of attitude alone, and keeping within Nigeria NT, I respect Moses' attitude a lot more than Mikel's. Moses does his thing quiet and keeps on improving. Has obviously been hitting the gym and bulking up. He's now back as a starter at the right time in his career and I sure respect that.

Note that not respecting the player has nothing to do with respecting the human being. I've actually found that most of the absolute top players are rarely nice guys or even respectful human beings - they are just that good at kicking a fucking ball and that's pretty much all there is to it.

1 hour ago, Robguima said:

interesting... IMO you contradicted yourself in the post above.

I have a hard time imagining any (like you call) 'major player' having mikel's attitude towards playing time and role: being a nice mellow guy who's not competitive (even within the squad) automatically makes him not good enough for a top club. Football is nothing but competition: you compete to get playing time; for better agent and contract; you compete for possession; you compete for yards (with and without possession), and once your are big enough you compete for media attention too.

How did I contradict myself? That's what I said, he's too mellow to be a major player, and rightfully so he isn't.

well it's a matter of opinion, but you said "his attitude has always been top notch" and then at the same time you say that he is nice and mellow, but wish he weren't (had retained some of the lost aggression).

Well, for me, the way for him to be better player would be to change his attitude. So, all this praising his attitude for not being competitive and collecting his fat paycheck at the end of the month is just crazy talk.

(btw I do not think the attitude is the sole problem here - just don't agree with praising a non competitive attitude in a very competitive profession)

23 minutes ago, Robguima said:

well it's a matter of opinion, but you said "his attitude has always been top notch" and then at the same time you say that he is nice and mellow, but wish he weren't (had retained some of the lost aggression).

Well, for me, the way for him to be better player would be to change his attitude. So, all this praising his attitude for not being competitive and collecting his fat paycheck at the end of the month is just crazy talk.

(btw I do not think the attitude is the sole problem here - just don't agree with praising a non competitive attitude in a very competitive profession)

I separate attitude towards his job and playing skills on the pitch (aggression). Not the same things for me. You can then also say his attitude towards passing and quickness is crap, but I still categorize that under playing skills, which I agree are lacking.

Paulo Ferreira also never was very competitive, but he was universally recognized as having great attitude and being a useful player. It doesn't mean they lack ambition or whatever. Mikel even said he wants to fight his way back to the team, but as this is obviously not happening I believe he will finally move on in January/summer.

6 minutes ago, manpe said:

I separate attitude towards his job and playing skills on the pitch (aggression). Not the same things for me.

yeah I got that and disagree.

So, even if you say that being nice, say Kante seems nice, and professional does not equate to aggression and competitiveness, can you imagine Kante displaying the same willingness to stay at the club - were he in the same situation as Mikel is or has been? Or JT a few years ago when he was still a top player. These top player are VERY competitive - they will not settle for anything less than an important role.

BTW, I'm fairly certain Mikel has been told to leave and I am not sure he will (before his contract runs out).

5 minutes ago, Robguima said:

yeah I got that and disagree.

So, even if you say that being nice, say Kante seems nice, and professional does not equate to aggression and competitiveness, can you imagine Kante displaying the same willingness to stay at the club - were he in the same situation as Mikel is or has been? Or JT a few years ago when he was still a top player. These top player are VERY competitive - they will not settle for anything less than an important role.

BTW, I'm fairly certainly Mikel has been told to leave and I am not sure he will (before his contract runs out).

Top players wouldn't accept that, never said he was a top player, but he knows his limitations and is loyal enough to have accepted an in-and-out role. A squad cannot comprise only of top players who will throw their toys out of pram when they are benched, you cannot have a balanced squad without the Moseses, Mikels, Ferreiras etc. You automatically assume they simply don't care, are greedy and only want to milk money, but I base my judgement on what they say and do. Nothing Mikel has done or said makes me believe he is the next Bogarde. I choose to compliment and support our player in his decisions when it doesn't harm the club.

24 minutes ago, manpe said:

Top players wouldn't accept that, never said he was a top player, but he knows his limitations and is loyal enough to have accepted an in-and-out role. A squad cannot comprise only of top players who will throw their toys out of pram when they are benched, you cannot have a balanced squad without the Moseses, Mikels, Ferreiras etc. You automatically assume they simply don't care, are greedy and only want to milk money, but I base my judgement on what they say and do. Nothing Mikel has done or said makes me believe he is the next Bogarde. I choose to compliment and support our player in his decisions when it doesn't harm the club.

fair enough

no the other top teams are not exclusively comprised of demanding superstars, neither do they have any player as passive and comfortable as mikel.

That's where we mostly disagree: I think mikel is very greedy. I think he only cares about money and that's the only reason he's stayed. Now if you believe player love clubs, I'm not going to stop you.

I do not base my judgment on what they say whatsoever. Most of it is very well thought out, often with the blessing of the club and most certainly input from their agent. What is he supposed to say? I wish I could play more, but no other club will give me 75K a week, so I rather sit on the bench or not even that, than play in a smaller club for far lower wages - have you seriously ever heard a player say anything like this? :)