Mikel John Obi

Badboy

As long as he doesnt play I will be very happy in the knowledge we will have a better chance of winning and playing well. He really is that bad and Tottenham away convinced Jose I am sure,Essien was on the bench at Norwich.

Reality has arrived at Chelsea and he was NEVER going to get away with it with Jose as manager,that is what makes Jose great,he sees things that are wrong very quickly.

Rofl, somebody has mentioned mikel's technical ability in the same sentence as Berbatov, Pirlo and Bergkamp. That person has gone so far that no discussion will be useful.

He's not comparing their technical ability though, don't be so ludicrous. All he was saying is that you don't need to be "fast" to be technical, and he gave examples of those players, so stop taking it out of context.

Rofl, somebody has mentioned mikel's technical ability in the same sentence as Berbatov, Pirlo and Bergkamp. That person has gone so far that no discussion will be useful.

:doh:

And did you bother to actually read the sentence?! Someone made a point that if you're slow then you can't have good technical ability and I gave those 3 as a counter argument. Of course Mikel's technical ability does not compare to their exceptional technical abilities.

So you think Pirlo does not have technical ability? Or Barbatov? Or Bergkamp? In terms of technical abilities, before we started getting players like Mata, Hazard and Oscar two seasons ago, Mikel was one of our best technical players. He is slow, but his technical ability on the ball is great.

Some people on here have an unhealthy obsession with Mikel. I honestly don't get what anyone can complain about Mikel this season. Apart from a couple of sub appearances where he was brought on to preserve a lead, Mikel has started 3 games: He was MOTM against Everton, had an excellent performance was our second best player behind Oscar and even scored against Fulham, and had an average performance in the first half against Tottenham when the whole team was under-performing (apart from the back 4 maybe). Yet some people don't seem to able to post anything without having a dig at the man.

Did I say Mikel has no technical ability? I merely alluded to an obvious link between technique and quickness. Pirlo? Pirlo can/could speed up play a lot better than Mikel btw - I hope we can all agree with that... :P

Just look at the most expensive players in the world and you will see players who have the quickness attached to their skills - being passing, dribbling, shooting/finishing, etc. Again, not saying it's necessary, just bonus and a very well-paid one as the numbers show.

And I don't understand your reasoning. So, we have world class players in every position in the squad, but we should settle because Mikel is a nice guy?! So, we should be content with an OK player while our direct opponents have better options there?

This is actually a very interesting point. Does quickness count in technique? I do think so.

Barcelona is the obvious example: they are so good at keeping the football not because of the short and easy passes, but because they are performed at a very high tempo. So when the opponents gets close to a barca player, the ball is no longer there.

It is the most important thing in football ,quick two touch and even one touch football especially in midfield is critcal ,the technique to play a first time pass off of either foot and see opportunity early is massive. The two balls Lampard flipped over the top to Ba v Norwich were brilliant in the art of quick thinking ,they were not long balls they were long passes made early into Demba's path, a long ball is a high ball into a space or area for a forward to fight for ,usually by means of an ariel dual.

Mikel has not made one of these in seven years,everything is square,slow and in front of the opposition ,he never turns the opposing defence,meaning they push up on us without fear. If Mikel plays against Norwich we do not dominate in the first half,those Lampard passes were key to the game. Berbatov ,Pirlo ,Lampard all see things very early,they know what is on before they receive the ball.

Mikel's thought will always be a couple of touches and a negative pass,even when other options are obvious let alone something very clever and first time.

Technique means having the abilty to complete the best option available to a player immediately,be that a first time pass/shot maybe switching the play or a 1st time through pass or to retain posession by means of slowing the game down in certain instances.

:doh:

And did you bother to actually read the sentence?! Someone made a point that if you're slow then you can't have good technical ability and I gave those 3 as a counter argument. Of course Mikel's technical ability does not compare to their exceptional technical abilities.

And the rationalization begins.......

facepalm.jpg

Honestly, this thread is just so depressing. Every time you enter this thread, you'll see the same old thing being talked about over and over and over and over and over again, non-stop. Even when there is nothing happening, somebody will bring something up and the whole process will be repeated..

facepalm.jpg

Honestly, this thread is just so depressing. Every time you enter this thread, you'll see the same old thing being talked about over and over and over and over and over again, non-stop. Even when there is nothing happening, somebody will bring something up and the whole process will be repeated..

Rinse and repeat process

Did I say Mikel has no technical ability? I merely alluded to an obvious link between technique and quickness. Pirlo? Pirlo can/could speed up play a lot better than Mikel btw - I hope we can all agree with that... :P

You were saying that speed is a necessary part of technical ability, which just isn't true as evident by a very long list of world class "lazy" players. And trust me, Pirlo is by no means quick on the ball, even with his passing. Frank, to give an example, moves the ball much quicker than Pirlo, but obviously Pirlo's passing technique is on whole different level than Frank (and almost every football player on earth, for that matter).

Just look at the most expensive players in the world and you will see players who have the quickness attached to their skills - being passing, dribbling, shooting/finishing, etc. Again, not saying it's necessary, just bonus and a very well-paid one as the numbers show.

That is rather contradictory. All I was saying is that players don't have to be quick to have good technical ability.

And I don't understand your reasoning. So, we have world class players in every position in the squad, but we should settle because Mikel is a nice guy?! So, we should be content with an OK player while our direct opponents have better options there?

When did I ever say that we shouldn't buy a replacement for Mikel? I think we need at least one great pivot player in the next two transfer windows and this should be our priority. I'd love nothing more than for us to have 3-4 world class pivot players and Mikel being fifth in pecking order, but that's not the case atm and Mikel currently has an important role to play with the team.

But the constant criticism of Obi when he's had a good start to the season is getting beyond tedious and ridiculous, imo.

You were saying that speed is a necessary part of technical ability, which just isn't true as evident by a very long list of world class "lazy" players. And trust me, Pirlo is by no means quick on the ball, even with his passing. Frank, to give an example, moves the ball much quicker than Pirlo, but obviously Pirlo's passing technique is on whole different level than Frank (and almost every football player on earth, for that matter).

That is rather contradictory. All I was saying is that players don't have to be quick to have good technical ability.

Couldn't disagree more. First I didn't say quickness of movement, but quickness of play: how long it takes between first touch and a pass, that's technique right there! A better player will be able to move the ball very quickly, because his better technique will allow him to control it more quickly Quickness of movement, pace, and quick passes IMO define great players and sides.

I've played with a few professional players - just for fun - and the main difference between us, amateurs and them is speed. Speed of execution. Everything takes a bit longer for an amateur player, even if he has "good technique."

When did I ever say that we shouldn't buy a replacement for Mikel? I think we need at least one great pivot player in the next two transfer windows and this should be our priority. I'd love nothing more than for us to have 3-4 world class pivot players and Mikel being fifth in pecking order, but that's not the case atm and Mikel currently has an important role to play with the team.

But the constant criticism of Obi when he's had a good start to the season is getting beyond tedious and ridiculous, imo.

No disagreement with the first part; as I always wish the betterment of the team.

I also don't see this as a good start of the season for him and I reckon Mourinho doesn't think so either, based on recent team selection alone. Like someone else above wrote, he needs to be more assertive/aggressive in that role.

Couldn't disagree more. First I didn't say quickness of movement, but quickness of play: how long it takes between first touch and a pass, that's technique right there! A better player will be able to move the ball very quickly, because his better technique will allow him to control it more quickly Quickness of movement, pace, and quick passes IMO define great players and sides.

I've played with a few professional players - just for fun - and the main difference between us, amateurs and them is speed. Speed of execution. Everything takes a bit longer for an amateur player, even if he has "good technique."

No disagreement with the first part; as I always wish the betterment of the team.

I also don't see this as a good start of the season for him and I reckon Mourinho doesn't think so either, based on recent team selection alone. Like someone else above wrote, he needs to be more assertive/aggressive in that role.

I was talking about the speed of execution as well. Some players don't rush moving the ball so they can have that extra fraction of a second to think of what exactly to do with it. And again there is a long list of world-class players that don't agree with you.

I don't claim to know what Jose is thinking, but there are tactical reasons for team selection. Against Steaua, we did not Mikel in order to keep possession as they did not really fight for it, neither did they cause any major threat going forward so starting Frank to take advantage of his scoring abilities was the right call. For the same reason I expect Frank to start against Cardiff next weekend. Against Norwich, the game plan was to play long balls to Ba to exploit their CBs and keeper and so obviously Frank, being our best long ball passer, had to start. Jose himself said that Mikel has been playing great and doing an important job for the team after the Fulham game, I don't imagine that would have changed completely after only 45 minutes of football.

facepalm.jpg

The problem lies primarily with two people, one who constantly berates Mikel and one who constantly defends him. Neither one uses arguments that the majority of us would find reasonable and both with occasionally say things simply to troll people (like saying people dislike him because he's a scapegoat).

The majority of people are fair-minded, criticising Mikel when he deserves it but also capable of giving him praise when he earns it. But these two members are so entrenched in their views and so unwilling/unable/too immature to hold their hands up and suggest they might have been wrong that it drags the whole thread down.

He's not comparing their technical ability though, don't be so ludicrous. All he was saying is that you don't need to be "fast" to be technical, and he gave examples of those players, so stop taking it out of context.

You do need to be fast ,very fast in your thinking and appreciation of the game ,this relates to Robguima's post and his comments about first touch passing off of either side and speed of thought,awareness , execution and positioning, the best example of this at Chelsea is John Terry he is not quick but he is a technically excellent footballer,great first touch plays off of either side and he always sees the best option,one thing that amazes me about JT is how many of his headed clearances in fact are directed towards a Chelsea player ,this is because he is aware and can read the game,his passing will always see the best option off either foot ,long and short,first touch when on .

skipper I think you are getting the fast context mixed up ,it does not mean you have to be Usain Bolt.

However if you are not a fast mobile player you do have to be very fast in your thinking and that includes positioning,control , awareness and execution of passing off of either foot.