Mikel John Obi

Badboy

I used to think exactly the same way, but I don't think he's been good enough defensively either. A player as slow as he is must position himself perfectly, and stay very close to the CBs, immediately in front of them actually. Because if he is high up the pitch he has to chase the play when beaten and he does not have the pace to do that. This happens very often I'm afraid.

That's the problem with Mikel IMO. He does NOT play like a DM for Nigeria. Many have stated he started off as a CAM, or more of a pure CM. That may explain why his positioning doesn't quite work for him nor Chelsea.

I've seen good things of him when playing for Nigeria, but the level of play (spec speed) as well as circumstances are completely different. He will never have the same freedom at Chelsea. He'd need a smaller side to play to his strengths and I reckon he is just not good enough for Chelsea to do that.

At this time I believe he may do better - again not really sure ever good enough but better - as a CM partnering a dynamic player like Ramires for example. This way the team won't expect him to be the "protector" of the defense which clearly hasn't worked so far. One thing that I fully agree with Phil is that it's all about the team, so if the team does not work when Mikel is on, if we cannot find a way to use him, then he has no place on the team.

If mikel plays next to a more defensive person in the pivot, you all will see his true qualities.

Mikel is a CM, he's not a DM. Honestly I wish he would play alongside essien so that he'll have more freedom in the pivot and his natural game will show properly.

He is also a player that fits perfectly with possesion football but that's another story entirely

If mikel plays next to a more defensive person in the pivot, you all will see his true qualities.

Mikel is a CM, he's not a DM. Honestly I wish he would play alongside essien so that he'll have more freedom in the pivot and his natural game will show properly.

He is also a player that fits perfectly with possesion football but that's another story entirely

Indeed, but then he might still not be good enough for Chelsea and the characteristics of the premiere league (pace + pace and more pace).

Frankly I'm surprised he's been given this much time to show his qualities, which hasn't really happened thus far. We are not talking about a season, or a manager, but several.

Indeed, but then he might still not be good enough for Chelsea and the characteristics of the premiere league (pace + pace and more pace).

Frankly I'm surprised he's been given this much time to show his qualities, which hasn't really happened thus far. We are not talking about a season, or a manager, but several.

He is naturally very good on the ball. Which impresses managers during training so it could be why he is picked. But I know mikel is a CM and not a DM. That's why he hasn't shown his true talent on a consistent basis.

He needs someone to take the defensive duties in the pivot then he'll play naturally

He is naturally very good on the ball. Which impresses managers during training so it could be why he is picked. But I know mikel is a CM and not a DM. That's why he hasn't shown his true talent on a consistent basis.

He needs someone to take the defensive duties in the pivot then he'll play naturally

He's also very slow... (he's prob one of the slowest mids in the league) he's got no pace or acceleration. That's why I think he will never make it for Chelsea esp in the premiere league where pace is so important.

Once again, I'd be extremely happy to be proven wrong.

He is not naturally very good on the ball,he is very slow on the ball and he has no left foot a big handicap when playing that role.

This is actually a very interesting point. Does quickness count in technique? I do think so.

Barcelona is the obvious example: they are so good at keeping the football not because of the short and easy passes, but because they are performed at a very high tempo. So when the opponents gets close to a barca player, the ball is no longer there.

So you think Pirlo does not have technical ability? Or Barbatov? Or Bergkamp? In terms of technical abilities, before we started getting players like Mata, Hazard and Oscar two seasons ago, Mikel was one of our best technical players. He is slow, but his technical ability on the ball is great.

Some people on here have an unhealthy obsession with Mikel. I honestly don't get what anyone can complain about Mikel this season. Apart from a couple of sub appearances where he was brought on to preserve a lead, Mikel has started 3 games: He was MOTM against Everton, had an excellent performance was our second best player behind Oscar and even scored against Fulham, and had an average performance in the first half against Tottenham when the whole team was under-performing (apart from the back 4 maybe). Yet some people don't seem to able to post anything without having a dig at the man.

Exactly, I don't see anything wrong with Mikel's technique.

He's a good player without a doubt...but I just wish he was a bit more aggressive/assertive in certain matches...

I think the problem people have with Mikel is that he plays in a position that's occupied by a Chelsea legend, so they look at it sentimentally rather than objectively.

It doesn't help that Makelele used to play there, but that's not just it. Mikel judged on his own merits doesn't exactly shine in many supporters' eyes.

The problem with Mikel is he is poor even compared against someone like Gareth Barry for instance,who is not a Chelsea legend.

He is just not a good player and we will see but the signs are Jose has his number. Lampard is ten times the player Mikel is even in the deeper role,he will not go on forever but when he does call it a day,Mikel will not be good enough for Chelsea. He has nothing to his game ,not only is he slow in body he is slow in mind and the Rammy ,Mikel debate is surely done,a partner for Rammy is a priority for the future.

Very good points raised. I would also add that Mikel does not quite fit the position he's played at Chelsea, he is much more assertive when allowed to go forward with someone like an Essien in his prime shielding the defence alongside him in midfield. But in order for him to play in that role for Chelsea he would have to displace Ramires, Lampard which is not happening under Mourinho - especially as long as Ramires is fit to play. So whenever he plays,he plays as the deeper, holding player instead, which does not help his cause.

I still think he is a very good player that should be playing more minutes for us.

Very good points raised. I would also add that Mikel does not quite fit the position he's played at Chelsea, he is much more assertive when allowed to go forward with someone like an Essien in his prime shielding the defence alongside him in midfield. But in order for him to play in that role for Chelsea he would have to displace Ramires, Lampard which is not happening under Mourinho - especially as long as Ramires is fit to play. So whenever he plays,he plays as the deeper, holding player instead, which does not help his cause.

I still think he is a very good player that should be playing more minutes for us.

This. Very good point, rarely seen it here.