Mikel John Obi

Badboy

Don't see Mikel starting against Cardiff. No point in starting from deep, we need to penetrate their defense. They'll also set up with two blocks of four. I see him coming back against City.

Yeah, Frank should definitely start against Cardiff and he'll probably score as well. Mikel will play against Schalke or City.

Be inclined to play Mikel against Cardiff and resting Lamps or Rami for the next two games, or maybe even throw Essien in against Cardiff. Ideally we'd keep the same team from the last two matches going for the next three but it's a big ask.

I can kinda see the logic of people saying we should put Mikel in against City because he's more defensively-minded, but that ignores two things.

1. His performance against Spurs when the same logic seemed applicable

2. His performance against City away last season, when the most impressive aspect of his game was his ability to fit his large frame inside Yaya Toure's pocket.

He needs to start putting in the consistent performances some people in this thread imagine he does. Then we'd have a truly world-class player in our squad.

Weird seeing Essien make the bench against Norwich over Mikel

But he will play in the tougher games. Lampard is easily overrun now. Not his fault but against Man City later in the month for example, starting Lampard would be suicidal. Mikel-Ramires is the way to go then

Weird seeing Essien make the bench against Norwich over Mikel

But he will play in the tougher games. Lampard is easily overrun now. Not his fault but against Man City later in the month for example, starting Lampard would be suicidal. Mikel-Ramires is the way to go then

Again, I get this in theory but does it actually work in practice? Mikel was completely overrun against City last season.

Not sure it's that weird seeing Essien picked either. Mikel was hauled off at half-time against Spurs when we were losing, dropped to the bench against Steaua and then dropped from the squad in the next game. Maybe he needs a game against Cardiff to build his confidence back up again.

Again, I get this in theory but does it actually work in practice? Mikel was completely overrun against City last season.

Not sure it's that weird seeing Essien picked either. Mikel was hauled off at half-time against Spurs when we were losing, dropped to the bench against Steaua and then dropped from the squad in the next game. Maybe he needs a game against Cardiff to build his confidence back up again.

Lack of options really. Lampard will be a passenger against Yaya/Fernandinho. Essien has barely got any gametime. Mikel is the next best option.

Anyone who partners Mikel is carrying a passenger,first it was Paulinho and Dembele who were going to walk over Lampard,now it is Fernandinho,the only reason Lampard will get owned in midfield is if he partners Mikel ,who has as pointed out to you,struggled v Toure before. You fanboys really are something else.

Even the Mikel 'brigade' must be thinking its no longer a coincidence that we are/have been getting results when he isn't playing or substituted...........

Always said he should be play against teams that are more offensive & brought on to defend winning positions not start at home against defensively minded sides so not entirely his fault.

There are some very encouraging rumours about us signing Marseille's 21 year old superstar Gianelli Imbula to parter Ramires as early as January. We were willing to pay more than double what Marseille paid to get him in the first place [around 7 mill Euros].

If Mikel nor Essien aren't gonna play then I think this is very good news indeed to finally have someone who actually fits in a double pivot.

Even the Mikel 'brigade' must be thinking its no longer a coincidence that we are/have been getting results when he isn't playing or substituted...........

Always said he should be play against teams that are more offensive & brought on to defend winning positions not start at home against defensively minded sides so not entirely his fault.

I used to think exactly the same way, but I don't think he's been good enough defensively either. A player as slow as he is must position himself perfectly, and stay very close to the CBs, immediately in front of them actually. Because if he is high up the pitch he has to chase the play when beaten and he does not have the pace to do that. This happens very often I'm afraid.

That's the problem with Mikel IMO. He does NOT play like a DM for Nigeria. Many have stated he started off as a CAM, or more of a pure CM. That may explain why his positioning doesn't quite work for him nor Chelsea.

I've seen good things of him when playing for Nigeria, but the level of play (spec speed) as well as circumstances are completely different. He will never have the same freedom at Chelsea. He'd need a smaller side to play to his strengths and I reckon he is just not good enough for Chelsea to do that.

At this time I believe he may do better - again not really sure ever good enough but better - as a CM partnering a dynamic player like Ramires for example. This way the team won't expect him to be the "protector" of the defense which clearly hasn't worked so far. One thing that I fully agree with Phil is that it's all about the team, so if the team does not work when Mikel is on, if we cannot find a way to use him, then he has no place on the team.

I used to think exactly the same way, but I don't think he's been good enough defensively either. A player as slow as he is must position himself perfectly, and stay very close to the CBs, immediately in front of them actually. Because if he is high up the pitch he has to chase the play when beaten and he does not have the pace to do that. This happens very often I'm afraid.

That's the problem with Mikel IMO. He does NOT play like a DM for Nigeria. Many have stated he started off as a CAM, or more of a pure CM. That may explain why his positioning doesn't quite work for him nor Chelsea.

I've seen good things of him when playing for Nigeria, but the level of play (spec speed) as well as circumstances are completely different. He will never have the same freedom at Chelsea. He'd need a smaller side to play to his strengths and I reckon he is just not good enough for Chelsea to do that.

At this time I believe he may do better - again not really sure ever good enough but better - as a CM partnering a dynamic player like Ramires for example. This way the team won't expect him to be the "protector" of the defense which clearly hasn't worked so far. One thing that I fully agree with Phil is that it's all about the team, so if the team does not work when Mikel is on, if we cannot find a way to use him, then he has no place on the team.

Mate, if it was down to me I would of sold him long ago & tbh I'm not really interested in his performances for Nigeria.

I concur, if we play with a high line then Mikel will struggle, however my post was directed at teams such like Bayern, Barca & possibly Arsenal when we are up against it with our backs to the wall & under pressure.

Mate, if it was down to me I would of sold him long ago & tbh I'm not really interested in his performances for Nigeria.

I concur, if we play with a high line then Mikel will struggle, however my post was directed at teams such like Bayern, Barca & possibly Arsenal when we are up against it with our backs to the wall & under pressure.

No, I understand where you are coming from. It wasn't a critique of your post at all.

Just saying I'm not sure he's been able to do the defensive work you say we need against top sides, and I agree we do need extra defensive work in those matches. Just not sure Mikel can really do that Makelele work. At least he hasn't been able to do that so far.

No, I understand where you are coming from. It wasn't a critique of your post at all. Just saying I'm not sure he's been able to do the defensive work you say we need against top sides, and I agree we do need extra defensive work in those matches. Just not sure Mikel can really do that Makelele work. At least he hasn't been able to do that so far.

Fair comment fella & no offence taken, I agree with you to a point. There are games where he has produced................unfortunately we do not see it on a consistent basis - its always been 1 step forward and 3 steps back with our much maligned Mr Mikel!