Timo Werner

Captain Ahmed

His confidence is shot, you can tell his movement is there and gets involved in the game but his finishing is horrendous, doubt it will get fixed until at least next season. Gotta hope a pre season and getting accosted to his teammates will help him next year or were in troubles.

38 minutes ago, R2D2 said:

His confidence is shot, you can tell his movement is there and gets involved in the game but his finishing is horrendous, doubt it will get fixed until at least next season. Gotta hope a pre season and getting accosted to his teammates will help him next year or were in troubles.

Think he needs to go to a sports psychiatrist. This is getting slightly ridiculous now. 

I still think with a bit of patience, he'll come good here.

He's had some horrendous misses this season culminating in last night and people have highlighted his stats on big chances missed, etc. I'd be more concerned if he wasn't getting any chances at all. His confidence might be shot in front of goal but I don't think it's affected his mentality to work hard and continuously strive to get into those goal scoring positions. I don't know what the stats were with Morata and Torres but their whole demeanour and body language on the pitch gave the impression that they were hiding and didn't want to shoulder any responsibility upon their already fragile mindsets but I don't get that impression with Werner. 

He also strikes me as someone who would feed off the fans when they're back in the stadium and I think just off his work rate, the fans will back him to come good.

If he keeps getting into such positions and keeping his repetition, he will hit a purple patch at some point and that confidence in front of goal will return.

I also don't think Werner's presence will deter us from buying a new striker. Giroud won't last forever and Tammy doesn't seem to be favoured by Tuchel, so it's almost certain a new striker will be looked at and Werner could easily line up with another striker in the team anyway.

1 hour ago, R2D2 said:

Pre-season? You do remember that the Euros is happening this summer, right? There's no chance Werner or anyone else participating in the tournament will get a full pre-season with Tuchel and the rest. All could potentially get only 1-2 weeks of pre-season or none at all after their holiday, depending on how far their nations go in the tournament. 

Feel that it is matter of time that Werner comes out good and people criticizing him would start praising him. Currently yes he looks poor as a player but if you think about it he does get into the right positions, outpaces the defenders, has tremendous work rate ... the only piece and the important piece is that he is not putting the balls in the net. 

I dont think it is about playing pre season matches ... it is just feeling good about the where u r and the adapting to environment that your part of, probably he is that kind of a player. We can only hope that that transition happens soon. 

1 hour ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I still think with a bit of patience, he'll come good here.

He's had some horrendous misses this season culminating in last night and people have highlighted his stats on big chances missed, etc. I'd be more concerned if he wasn't getting any chances at all. His confidence might be shot in front of goal but I don't think it's affected his mentality to work hard and continuously strive to get into those goal scoring positions. I don't know what the stats were with Morata and Torres but their whole demeanour and body language on the pitch gave the impression that they were hiding and didn't want to shoulder any responsibility upon their already fragile mindsets but I don't get that impression with Werner. 

He also strikes me as someone who would feed off the fans when they're back in the stadium and I think just off his work rate, the fans will back him to come good.

If he keeps getting into such positions and keeping his repetition, he will hit a purple patch at some point and that confidence in front of goal will return.

Werner was bought to score goals. I'm sure the board still expects that of him and I'm sure he still expects that of himself, but what is becoming clear is that he can't be relied on as the team's primary goal source. The way things are unfolding, the more it looks like he'll be similar to what Pedro (or maybe even someone like Anelka) was to us, someone who will score goals - and provide assists - here and there, someone who can be the secondary goal source with like 10-15 goals per season, someone who can be the supporting act to the main striker. 

As for his problems, I really want to know if anything happened behind closed doors in the last INT break. Even though he was still missing some chances back then, every thing started going downhill for him after the November games, when it also included Germany getting spanked 6-0 by Spain. 

1 hour ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I also don't think Werner's presence will deter us from buying a new striker. Giroud won't last forever and Tammy doesn't seem to be favoured by Tuchel, so it's almost certain a new striker will be looked at and Werner could easily line up with another striker in the team anyway.

Apart from the swap deal talk, I don't see why we should bin Werner after just one season. If we're still talking about the same issues this time next season (hopefully not), then sure, we can look at that. Giroud looks likely to leave this summer. If Abraham doesn't want to sign a new contract, then we would be looking at another sale there. Potentially letting 3 strikers go at one stage would be crazy. 

Moreover, if we want to challenge Man City and even Liverpool for top honors, then we're gonna need a good squad depth. Plus, it's worth remembering that while Pulisic is fit right now, he still has that dodgy injury record hanging over his head and Ziyech will be gone for at least one month in January next season.

55 minutes ago, Jason said:

Pre-season? You do remember that the Euros is happening this summer, right? There's no chance Werner or anyone else participating in the tournament will get a full pre-season with Tuchel and the rest. All could potentially get only 1-2 weeks of pre-season or none at all after their holiday, depending on how far their nations go in the tournament. 

I forgot about the Euro, sucks was hoping he gets some vacation to reset and start again.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Last year no preseason bc of Corona, this year bc of Euros, next yet bc of WC. If we really expect preseason to make a big difference we arelost for the next few years anyway

5 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

Last year no preseason bc of Corona, this year bc of Euros, next yet bc of WC. If we really expect preseason to make a big difference we arelost for the next few years anyway

World Cup is in November. 

1 minute ago, Magic Lamps said:

Yeah but this will affect the scheduling of the club season. The time afforded to the WC in November will be deducted from preseason in summer.

If the Football Manager season schedule during the 2022 World Cup is anything to go by (lol), then 2022/23 should start at the end of July, which is only 1-2 weeks earlier than the usual start time of the Premier League season.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9426659/North-Macedonian-newspaper-mocks-Chelsea-striker-Timo-Werner-giving-identity-card.html

Thank you for your services Timo! North Macedonian newspaper mocks Chelsea's Germany striker Werner by giving him their country's IDENTITY CARD after he missed a sitter in their shock World Cup qualifying win

Edited by NikkiCFC

Let's make no mistake about it... he is missing because of the huge lack in confidence not because of his ability. 

People are always saying how we ruin strikers but they forget to include the facts that playing for Chelsea there is tremendous amounts of pressure to succeed... and to succeed quickly. 

You either have an elite mentality or you don't.

Some can cope, some can't. 

Maybe Werner is of the later. 

3 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9426659/North-Macedonian-newspaper-mocks-Chelsea-striker-Timo-Werner-giving-identity-card.html

Thank you for your services Timo! North Macedonian newspaper mocks Chelsea's Germany striker Werner by giving him their country's IDENTITY CARD after he missed a sitter in their shock World Cup qualifying win

That is disgusting and unsportsmanlike. They will get absolutely thrashed for this in the return leg.

8 hours ago, Jason said:

Werner was bought to score goals. I'm sure the board still expects that of him and I'm sure he still expects that of himself, but what is becoming clear is that he can't be relied on as the team's primary goal source. The way things are unfolding, the more it looks like he'll be similar to what Pedro (or maybe even someone like Anelka) was to us, someone who will score goals - and provide assists - here and there, someone who can be the secondary goal source with like 10-15 goals per season, someone who can be the supporting act to the main striker. 

As for his problems, I really want to know if anything happened behind closed doors in the last INT break. Even though he was still missing some chances back then, every thing started going downhill for him after the November games, when it also included Germany getting spanked 6-0 by Spain. 

I think we need to see how this group develop next season after a few months working with Tuchel. Like you mentioned whilst we don't currently have a primary goal source (I still think Werner can become that however), we have a number of attacking options who can all chip in goals and act as 'secondary' goal sources. 

If we didn't add offensively next season and rolled with what we already have I think that Tammy, Werner, Havertz, Mount, Pulisic and Ziyech are all very capable of being in that 8 - 12 goal bracket minimum, hopefully a couple of them pushing closer to 15-20. If you had that many options capable of that, maybe we don't need a primary goal source providing 20+ goals. 

The biggest thing is that Tuchel has us tactically organised and extremely difficult to score against. There are some similarities with that to Mourinho's first couple of seasons where we didn't really have a primary goal source but a number of players chipped in with goals (Lampard, Drogba, Gudjohnsen, Crespo, Duff, Robben, Joe Cole) and because those goals were shared around too, it made us an even bigger threat compared to say Spurs currently who are completely reliant on two players in their attack and usually fall apart if either of them are out.

He definitely had I would say at least two even worse missed chances this season.

Another thing I noticed in this video is that I saw people trying to justify why Mount has zero open play assists this season in the league with: He was let down by our attackers. Well, there you go... Werner is by far first on this list and from all these chances just one pass came from Mason.

Edited by NikkiCFC