Timo Werner

Captain Ahmed

I said this earlier in the season and I'll repeat it again now as I believe it still stands, whilst Werner is missing some very good chances (and the two against West Ham and Madrid this week have been really poor) it's not bringing his head down to where he's hiding in games. His confidence in front of goal might be fragile at present but he's not afraid to keep getting in those positions to try and score.

For me Torres and Morata were both far, far worse cases. When their confidence took a hit they both hid, not wanting to make the runs to get into those goal scoring positions, not willing to battle defenders for the ball and space. It was literally like playing with 10 men a lot of times.

I don't see that with Werner. His raw pace and willingness to run beyond and stretch teams makes him a threat regardless of his goal scoring output and that has been a vital part of our game against some of the other bigger teams in recent weeks. 

I certainly wouldn't be prepared to give up on him any time soon. Given the circumstances these last twelve months to change countries and culture in a lockdown scenario and playing in empty stadiums, I want to see how the likes of Werner, Havertz and Ziyech perform in a full Stamford Bridge. The way he plays I think once Chelsea fans are back in the stadium he'll be backed immensely and I could see him feeding off that boost. 

2 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I said this earlier in the season and I'll repeat it again now as I believe it still stands, whilst Werner is missing some very good chances (and the two against West Ham and Madrid this week have been really poor) it's not bringing his head down to where he's hiding in games. His confidence in front of goal might be fragile at present but he's not afraid to keep getting in those positions to try and score.

For me Torres and Morata were both far, far worse cases. When their confidence took a hit they both hid, not wanting to make the runs to get into those goal scoring positions, not willing to battle defenders for the ball and space. It was literally like playing with 10 men a lot of times.

I don't see that with Werner. His raw pace and willingness to run beyond and stretch teams makes him a threat regardless of his goal scoring output and that has been a vital part of our game against some of the other bigger teams in recent weeks. 

I certainly wouldn't be prepared to give up on him any time soon. Given the circumstances these last twelve months to change countries and culture in a lockdown scenario and playing in empty stadiums, I want to see how the likes of Werner, Havertz and Ziyech perform in a full Stamford Bridge. The way he plays I think once Chelsea fans are back in the stadium he'll be backed immensely and I could see him feeding off that boost. 

On the other hand when he does score it does not make him fly high and he suddenly catches every ball perfectly. For almost every time he scores he usually directly proceeds to waste a big chance in the same or the following match and then goes on a scoreless run.

As has been pointed out here he varies between terrible and average. His pace and movement indeed stretches teams and makes defenders nervous which is why I understand that he sometimes plays ahead of Ziyech who when out of form simply sucks and offers 0. Simlar for Havertz and Tammy.

I do not think the audience has that much of an influence on games tbf, but I reckon Werner will be given one more season to turn his Chelsea career around. Let's hope he can but we should not bet our season on it. Still need to sign a proper striker.

5 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

On the other hand when he does score it does not make him fly high and he suddenly catches every ball perfectly. For almost every time he scores he usually directly proceeds to waste a big chance in the same or the following match and then goes on a scoreless run.

As has been pointed out here he varies between terrible and average. His pace and movement indeed stretches teams and makes defenders nervous which is why I understand that he sometimes plays ahead of Ziyech who when out of form simply sucks and offers 0. Simlar for Havertz and Tammy.

I do not think the audience has that much of an influence on games tbf, but I reckon Werner will be given one more season to turn his Chelsea career around. Let's hope he can but we should not bet our season on it. Still need to sign a proper striker.

You don't think players feed off an atmosphere?

My patience is running thin, if not run out already. Yesterday's miss was the angriest I got at any of his misses. I was celebrating before seeing it go in because it was a 1000% chance the moment the ball was passed to him, so in the heat of the moment I just said sell this sack of **** but have now calmed down a bit. Anybody who's been following my posts know that I was most excited about signing Werner, not Havertz or Ziyech. Simply because I thought he'd fix our goalscoring problems and elevate us a level... That has not been the case, he's made it worse. I have been defending him up to this point, but not anymore. And fuck the psychological excuses, you don't need to be a mental monster to finish from point blank range, he's just an incredibly shit finisher especially for a supposed striker, period. Clearly I was wrong about him, based my opinion on highlights and stats.

He must improve and improve fast or he'll fuck our entire season up. Pulisic isn't always going to be there to rectify his cock ups. One or a few more important misses like this and I will officially give up on him like I did with Torres and Morata. Overall he's a better footballer than either of them, but I'm so fucking tired of excusing shit finishing from STRIKERS with "good movement" or "stretching defences" or "at least he gets into positions" or whatever other bullshit we can think of to comfort ourselves while watching our strikers FLOP left and right.

Edited by manpe

10 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

People at TC make it always seem that Werner is the only striker in this world that gets into good positions to score goals lol. There are many other strikers that have the same ability and actually they can also score the goal

Yet, how many are actually in top class bracket of strikers in terms of overall package though?

And I don't think anyone is saying that we shouldn't go get another striker this summer anyway. 

30 minutes ago, manpe said:

My patience is running thin, if not run out already. Yesterday's miss was the angriest I got at any of his misses. I was celebrating before seeing it go in because it was a 1000% chance the moment the ball was passed to him, so in the heat of the moment I just said sell this sack of **** but have now calmed down a bit.

Am surprised you jumped the gun considering it was Werner. 

42 minutes ago, Beigl said:

What he just needs is a complete reset after the EUROs..

It's unlikely to happen and it would be a blow to his confidence but I'm kinda hoping that he doesn't get picked for the Euros. Let him reset and have a proper pre-season to work on his finishing, technically and even psychologically. 

1 hour ago, Magic Lamps said:

Confidence isn't exactly like a tap water where you can just switch it on or off, is it? Right now, he needs goals without the missing chances bit in between to screw him up and/or have a Lady Luck smiling over him or something like with Iheanacho at the moment.

Had a conversation with someone elsewhere and that person was talking about his goals against Southampton earlier this season. That was an example of what Werner could do at his confident best. Doubt the current Werner would have been able to score those goals now. 

27 minutes ago, Jason said:

Yet, how many are actually in top class bracket of strikers in terms of overall package though?

And I don't think anyone is saying that we shouldn't go get another striker this summer anyway. 

I hope your not referring to Werner being top class in that first comment. Because he is near hopeless.

44 minutes ago, Jason said:

Am surprised you jumped the gun considering it was Werner. 

I'm a slave to emotions 😁 Also in those moments I don't really think who is where, I realized it was Werner only after the fact (was not surprised, just straight up pissed off screaming at the TV). Good save by snake, but Timo made it easy for him. Luckily Pulisic raised the mood shortly after, good lad.

Edited by manpe

27 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

I hope your not referring to Werner being top class in that first comment. Because he is near hopeless.

Am not that crazy...Jesus fucking christ...

I simply meant others because if we want a new ST, then it should be a clear upgrade. Killer made it seem like every Tom, Dick and Harry strikers out there have good movement and score lots of goals. If that was really the case, then the top strikers available wouldn't be only Haaland, Lukaku, Kane etc.

16 minutes ago, Jason said:

I simply meant others because if we want a new ST, then it should be a clear upgrade. Killer made it seem like every Tom, Dick and Harry strikers out there have good movement and score lots of goals. If that was really the case, then the top strikers available wouldn't be only Haaland, Lukaku, Kane etc.

I dont care what he does elsewhere, Lukaku showed at Utd he was not good enough for a team that wants to win the Prem. Most Utd fans couldn't wait to see the back of him so why should we even think about trying to sign him?

18 minutes ago, Jason said:

Maybe not top striker, but I would even prefer having Patrick Bamford at Chelsea, who scored 15 goals and still missed 23 big chances than Werner. Werner on the other hand scored 6 goals and missed 17 big chances in PL. I am not even talking about the big three strikers in this world like Kane, Lewa and Benz. 

3 minutes ago, chippy said:

I dont care what he does elsewhere, Lukaku showed at Utd he was not good enough for a team that wants to win the Prem. Most Utd fans couldn't wait to see the back of him so why should we even think about trying to sign him?

Am just naming names because Lukaku has been mentioned and the club are reportedly targeting him. It's either him or Haaland supposedly.

3 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

Maybe not top striker, but I would even prefer having Patrick Bamford at Chelsea, who scored 15 goals and still missed 23 big chances than Werner. Werner on the other hand scored 6 goals and missed 17 big chances in PL. I am not even talking about the big three strikers in this world like Kane, Lewa and Benz. 

If you're going to suggest Bamford, we might as well just keep Abraham. 

It's one thing to score for Leeds, it's another to score for Chelsea. Plus, it's also only his first season in the Premier League. Can he do it consistently?

10 minutes ago, chippy said:

Have to disagree with this completely. 

Conte has shown what a little bit of coaching can do to a player like Lukaku. He’s one of the best CFs in the world.

He was a top PL CF also at United, the goals dont lie. Yes he wasnt as complete a player but United lack a 15-20 goals a season number 9 and he was that. I think people forget that he scored 42 goals in 94 games. As well as 87 goals in 166 games for Everton.

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

Am just naming names because Lukaku has been mentioned and the club are reportedly targeting him. It's either him or Haaland supposedly.

If you're going to suggest Bamford, we might as well just keep Abraham. 

It's one thing to score for Leeds, it's another to score for Chelsea. Plus, it's also only his first season in the Premier League. Can he do it consistently?

Yep 100% agree. Lets see next season how he does. He doesn’t strike me as an impact sub either. 

12 hours ago, Vybz Kartel said:

When Werner went off we actually got worse attacking wise, the problem we have under Tuchel is there is not enough support in the box when we create chances. We are too conservative. 

Exactly!

Apart from us continually messing up in and around the box when in great posustions, far too often we don't get enough players into the box.TT is too worried about us being caught short if we lose the ball so the balance between defence and attack is not how it needs to be.

Regardless of who we sign  in the summer, this is a major problem that needs fixing as there's no way we challenge for the title playing like this week in week out.

As for Werner's future? I'd give him (and Kai) until next Xmas to start showing they're going to be good enough. One and a half seasons is enough time for any player to settle in and perform well.