• Barkley
    • Mount
    • Pulisic
    • Abraham
    • Willian (sub)
    • Gilmour (sub)
    • Batshuayi (sub)

1 minute ago, Jason said:

We've become like Arsenal. We can't dig in to get a result anymore. Crack at the slightest bit of pressure. 

I think we can, Frankfurt last year testement to that.

What just can't seem to panic once we things happen against the script, it's like an over zealous kid playing fifa starts with a plan is executing it quite well but something goes wrong and instead of remaining calm acts like the world is caving in and totally loses composure.

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

Lampard also Jorginho is a leader and he goes missing in defensive situations. :doh: 

The attack does not hold the football and does not win 50/50s. The wingers don’t defend well enough. The mid gets overwhelm and so does the defense.

the fact we have no passer in the back line makes things worse as the ball goes right back to the opposition. Esp when Zouma kicks it up field.

rudiger will not fix this.

Lampard also Jorginho is a leader and he goes missing in defensive situations. :doh: 

Need someone on the pitch to lead rather than the sidelines & Jorginho certainly doesn't fit that build for me.

3 minutes ago, Robchels said:

The attack does not hold the football and does not win 50/50s. The wingers don’t defend well enough. The mid gets overwhelm and so does the defense.

the fact we have no passer in the back line makes things worse as the ball goes right back to the opposition. Esp when Zouma kicks it up field.

If you think we should have kept Luiz, just say it directly. Don't need to beat around the bush...

1 minute ago, Tomo said:

I think we can, Frankfurt last year testement to that.

What just can't seem to panic once we things happen against the script, it's like an over zealous kid playing fifa starts with a plan is executing it quite well but something goes wrong and instead of remaining calm acts like the world is caving in and totally loses composure.

The final against Man City last year too, and even against Liverpool in the super cup to a degree.

There was more experience in that side against Liverpool though and that is something these youngsters will need to learn.

When things go wrong, we concede or the opposition have a period of dominating the ball (which every team has at some stage of any game) that is when the team need to learn to dig in. At present we're trying too hard to shift the momentum back to us and it's leading to overplaying and our play to become too frenetic, losing our shape, etc. Kante and Rudiger coming back in will help with this, as will having Willian and Pedro back fully fit. Need some calm and composed heads leading by example.

If you think we should have kept Luiz, just say it directly. Don't need to beat around the bush...

Of course we should have kept luiz. That’s the obvious part even if I don’t rate luiz as a defender.

Again, my point is that while rudiger or luiz would improve things, the defending is poor all around especially in attack and wings. Young players do not defend well. They are not even physical enough to win 50/50s consistently enough to help us withstand pressure.

7 minutes ago, Robchels said:

Kante, RLC and CHO might tho 👍

3 minutes ago, Muzchap said:

Kante, RLC and CHO might tho 👍

Kante yes, once fit.

cho, despite his young age had a pretty decent work rate, but then there is the contract situation. Will he risk picking up an injury without a contract?

RLC is a long shot given how serious it was. Not even sure he will be able to contribute this season.

dont think this is an overreaction. This was the worst opposition we are going to face and at home.

Im still fuming like a motherfucker.....that shit is not acceptable. But hey im sure Lamps will learn, or I fucking hope anyway.

Azpi, he is awesome, he bleeds blue, but he is done for, he has played so many matches for years and years, he is almost spent, Recce cant come soon enough.

Zouma I wont blame him for the own goal, was a tough one, but that doesnt mean he is Chels material, back up just maybe.

We have mental issues it seems, something is all fucked up, Frank has to sort that out.

And ffs get rid that stinking 4321, go 433 everytime. Or go 343, we have the team for it.

We all knew it was to be a very up and down season, we have some crap players, tons of injuries, utter negligence from the board and a ban.......such a bad mix that.

Fucked our weekend up, was a good time to go up when our rivals lost and will be losing pts, horse shit man.

Cant wait to have the full squad back, its very needed.

21 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

We've seen him go to sleep against all teams, so that has no relevance.

Look at the PK he gave away; that's stupidity at its finest.

20 minutes ago, Jason said:

His mistakes last week had nothing to do with the level of opposition. It was just pure stupidity from Luiz for both goals. 

Agreed. but in games like today, do I think we miss him yes. He, like Jorginho dictates the tempo of the game. Like I say, this season we have played 2 promoted teams and conceded 2 goals each in both of those games. Luiz was in the team for most of our clean sheets we kept last season. Do I see us doing that this season? No. I think the lack of a ball playing defender is really underestimated. 

21 minutes ago, Robchels said:

Sorry but that’s naive. Once again check luiz’ stats for us. Not to mention his silverware.

it’s fine to diss players who leave, esp the ones who force their exit, but he’d definitely improve this shit show of a back line. He’s just as physical as zouma, but twice the footballer, as in he can actually play football. And then there is experience, but I guess folks here are in denial regarding that.

Just can’t see the silver lining of losing luiz without a proper replacement with the same level of experience especially for the back and especially considering how many youngsters are being used.

Cahill won silverware. Why did we let him leave?

Your supposed logic is flawed. He wasn't the best DEFENDER on our books, so the move made sense for all parties despite a rather low fee. Most of the goals we are conceding are carbon copies of last season (sleeping after the break, zonal marking still being a thing, etc).

2 minutes ago, Stats said:

Agreed. but in games like today, do I think we miss him yes. He, like Jorginho dictates the tempo of the game. Like I say, this season we have played 2 promoted teams and conceded 2 goals each in both of those games. Luiz was in the team for most of our clean sheets we kept last season. Do I see us doing that this season? No. I think the lack of a ball playing defender is really underestimated. 

Isn't AC meant to be the ball playing CB?

Just now, LAM09 said:

Your supposed logic is flawed. He wasn't the best DEFENDER on our books, so the move made sense for all parties despite a rather low fee. Most of the goals we are conceding are carbon copies of last season (sleeping after the break, zonal marking still being a thing, etc)

Never said he was(the best defender).

we are missing experience as controlling the game. Two things luiz actually has in abundance. Especially considering how young the squad is.

every time zouma kicks the ball up field, it just goes back to the opposition and here they are again in our face.

Imagine deploying luiz in the middle or as a third cb today in the second half? I can certainly imagine he’d be able to help out. I think we are overly nice to players who force their exit. 

4 minutes ago, Stats said:

Luiz may or may not have helped. Biggest problem IMO is our defensive organization as a unit. Players are just running around with aimless pressing, spaces being left here and there, no one is covering for others. Opposing teams are finding holes in the side far too easily. We are simply not playing as a unit in defensive situations. 

2 minutes ago, Robchels said:

Imagine deploying luiz in the middle or as a third cb today in the second half? I can certainly imagine he’d be able to help out. I think we are overly nice to players who force their exit. 

Hazard supposedly wanted to leave a number of season ago, CHO wanted to join Bayern last Jan. Either of them get their way?

There is nothing to gain from keeping players that don't want to earn their place back.

13 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

Your supposed logic is flawed. He wasn't the best DEFENDER on our books, so the move made sense for all parties despite a rather low fee. Most of the goals we are conceding are carbon copies of last season (sleeping after the break, zonal marking still being a thing, etc).

Isn't AC meant to be the ball playing CB?

Well AC was dropped/ rotated today and wouldn't describe him as a ball playing CB. He is good on the ball but in terms of passing range, none of our defenders have that. Zouma was actually the one playing like a ball playing CB today. But most of the passes were to another fullback or so. Not passing into dangerous areas.

10 minutes ago, Stats said:

Well AC was dropped/ rotated today and wouldn't describe him as a ball playing CB. He is good on the ball but in terms of passing range, none of our defenders have that. Zouma was actually the one playing like a ball playing CB today. But most of the passes were to another fullback or so. Not passing into dangerous areas.

That's where other players need to deliver, then. We had Barkely, Mount & Jorginho to a lesser effect today and created almost nothing.

19 minutes ago, Jason said:

Luiz may or may not have helped. Biggest problem IMO is our defensive organization as a unit. Players are just running around with aimless pressing, spaces being left here and there, no one is covering for others. Opposing teams are finding holes in the side far too easily. We are simply not playing as a unit in defensive situations. 

We had the same issues last season. It might only be early days, but I'm worried about Lampard not addressing massive flaws that plagued us for 12 months.