• Barkley
    • Mount
    • Pulisic
    • Abraham
    • Willian (sub)
    • Gilmour (sub)
    • Batshuayi (sub)

33 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

We had the same issues last season. It might only be early days, but I'm worried about Lampard not addressing massive flaws that plagued us for 12 months.

It definitely remains to be seen and it's kind of a mess as well, going from Conte's style to Sarri's style to Lampard's style in the space of 3 seasons. 

9 minutes ago, Tomo said:

I know this is going to be a transition season but even so, we can't be blowing 2 goal leads to Sheffield United. Most poor results this season i can and will chalk off as part of the process and pick out the positives but this one is hard, it's annoyed me so much.

2-0 up against a much inferior team requires basic game management, slow the game down, retain possession, stop it from becoming a battle (which is what the underdog thrives on). We kicked off in the second half, how the hell can we concede within a minute? We should be comfortably retaining it for that long minimum.

This has completely pissed me off.

You know things are really not good when even Tomo is furious! 

5 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Not really, I've always throughout my time here been critical when it's due.

Usually, you stay calm and offer perspective while everyone else, whether rightly or wrongly, loses their mind over a bad result. But not this time, although I don't blame you. We definitely shouldn't be dropping points against sides like Sheffield United. 

31 minutes ago, Tomo said:

I know this is going to be a transition season but even so, we can't be blowing 2 goal leads to Sheffield United. Most poor results this season i can and will chalk off as part of the process and pick out the positives but this one is hard, it's annoyed me so much.

2-0 up against a much inferior team requires basic game management, slow the game down, retain possession, stop it from becoming a battle (which is what the underdog thrives on). We kicked off in the second half, how the hell can we concede within a minute? We should be comfortably retaining it for that long minimum.

Completely agree with you.

We have a young squad and bound for ups and downs because they are not experienced, but at home, leading 2:0 against promoted side; no excuse for not winning the game. 

Absolutely none. 

But for some reason, I cant be pissed about Lamps or the boys.

32 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Completely agree, the early second half goal was the killer today.

For the most part we actually looked much more solid today in the middle of the park and Kovacic and Jorginho were not letting us get exposed like we have done in other games (many of the problems were coming down the right hand side), but both struggled in the second half to get their foot on the ball and wrestle back control of the game which is disappointing from two of our more experienced players.

5 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Completely agree, the early second half goal was the killer today.

For the most part we actually looked much more solid today in the middle of the park and Kovacic and Jorginho were not letting us get exposed like we have done in other games (many of the problems were coming down the right hand side), but both struggled in the second half to get their foot on the ball and wrestle back control of the game which is disappointing from two of our more experienced players.

Overall, it's almost baffling that we played poorly from the start. Had a week to rest and prepare and we played sloppily throughout the match. Didn't even put them under any serious pressure. 

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

Overall, it's almost baffling that we played poorly from the start. Had a week to rest and prepare and we played sloppily throughout the match. Didn't even put them under any serious pressure. 

Just par for the course at this stage of the process.

One week we will match the 2nd best team in Europe and the next we will look bang average vs a newly promoted side, genuinely wouldn't surprise me to see us do something like head to Anfield and play Liverpool of the park then come home and sneak a draw at Stamford Bridge against Villa in a game we could easily have lost, reminds me of 12/13 a little bit.

9 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

All of which don't naturally play there, so invite more pressure. I don't mind the positive approach Lampard has and his belief in the young players is refreshing but there will be times when it bites us in the ass and we will have to get used to that this season because it will be a learning curve.

I understand where you're coming from, and its basically an argument of an experienced player coming on and playing out of position (or changing the formation) over a young, inexperienced player in his natural position. 

Not really. Has nothing to do with experience or youth. If Billy Gilmore player profile is a destroyer I will throw him straight away. He is not. 

I have no problem playing youth at all. But in Billy case it made little sense. Tomori made sense, he played with derby against Sheffield last season. 

You can't play youth just because he is youth. 

Just now, communicate said:

Not really. Has nothing to do with experience or youth. If Billy Gilmore player profile is a destroyer I will throw him straight away. He is not. 

I have no problem playing youth at all. But in Billy case it made little sense. Tomori made sense, he played with derby against Sheffield last season. 

You can't play youth just because he is youth. 

At what point have I said to play youth for the sake of it?

My point is that it's easy to manage in hindsight. We could all do that given the opportunity.

I'm not even saying that Lampard was right in his decision and there will be a learning process still for him, let alone our younger players.

I'm simply arguing your point that the sub made no sense. Gilmour was the closest player profile on the bench to Kovacic to play in the midfield and as I said on a previous post, Lampard at the time has possibly decided that he didn't want to invite more pressure in the last 10 minutes by throwing another defender on and instead hoped bringing on fresh legs in the midfield and being someone comfortable in possession was the better way to approach the situation to try and wrestle back possession and control of the game. It's an alternative and more positive way of trying to see the game out. 

It hasn't worked this time hence the criticism of the choice, but I can understand Lampard's thinking and I can respect his positive approach to the situation.

It has been a rough start with glimpses of the potential this squad has. The more I think about it, Super Frank is a bit in over his head. His game decisions have been odd and poor. There was no real upside to bringing in Billy Gilmore. I think he can be an exceptional manager, it may take some time to get there. This squad can be very good, even though they are lacking a good defence, from the wingers, to the midfield, to the back line. It may take some time.

9 hours ago, Jason said:

Usually, you stay calm and offer perspective while everyone else, whether rightly or wrongly, loses their mind over a bad result. But not this time, although I don't blame you. We definitely shouldn't be dropping points against sides like Sheffield United. 

Why?

I've posted on the Lamps thread on this subject, why do you expect us in this situation to have a god given right to beat anyone?

Surely you didn't expect us to hit the ground running, me i'm along for the ride and see where it takes us.

And please none of this it's only this team and that team should be no problem for Chelsea, 'cos this season will be rollercoaster ride time.

I never put my expectations to far up, I knew that we were going to struggle, i'm sure you must of as well, i heard moans and groans around the ground yesterday, the lads need supporting and we need to get behind them, I firmly believe that things will come right in the end.