Kepa Arrizabalaga

Jase

Lampard was ruthless with him when Kepa clearly is a guy who needs to feel appreciated not pressurized

But i think blamign the coach for all those stupid errors is a bridge too far. Perosnal reasons probably played a bigger part

Glad he is back to form. Maybe we can still recover some of his value. But no way in hell the long term plan can be having the most expensive keeper in the world riding the bench on 150kpw for the remainder of his contract.

5 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

Maybe we can still recover some of his value. But no way in hell the long term plan can be having the most expensive keeper in the world riding the bench on 150kpw for the remainder of his contract.

He is already in 4th year of 7 years contract. If Kepa is ok with that I would be happy with him staying as backup for 10+ years... But 2nd contract would have to be much smaller. 

Him leaving before his contract ends means he would play for less money somewhere else which is not going to happen. He would be starter is some CL quality teams...

Look at Bakayoko, always was lost case for Chelsea but we still extended his contract with big salary. 

I still wouldn't be comfortable with him back as number 1 for a prolonged period but I must admit he's certainly starting to make me feel a lot less uneasy about the ACON next year.

Hooefully he keeps this momentum up because I remember everytime I thought Hilario was starting to become a reliable back up he'd ruin it and have an absolute disasterclass, really hope this is different.

KEPA BREAKS Chelsea PENALTY SHOOT-OUT RECORD

With his vital save in last night’s penalty shoot-out victory over Aston Villa, Kepa Arrizabalaga etched his name into the Chelsea history books.

The Spaniard now has seven such saves, and with it the record for the most penalty stops by a Chelsea goalkeeper in shoot-outs. Kepa’s strong right hand to palm Marvelous Nakamba’s spot-kick away moved him clear of Petr Cech in the all-time rankings.

Kepa was involved in three important shoot-outs in his very first season at Stamford Bridge. He made the difference in the semi-final success over Tottenham, in the Carabao Cup, and Eintracht Frankfurt, in the Europa League. Against Spurs he denied Lucas Moura, while the European tie was going the Germans’ way after Cesar Azpilicueta’s effort was saved, but Kepa kept out back-to-back spot-kicks to allow Eden Hazard to score the winner.

In the 2019 Carabao Cup final he denied Leroy Sane, and then this season he made two stops in the Super Cup before last night’s heroics against Villa. Video with all his shoot-out saves in the link.

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2021/09/23/kepa-breaks-Chelsea-penalty-shoot-out-record

On 23/09/2021 at 00:54, Tomo said:

I still wouldn't be comfortable with him back as number 1 for a prolonged period but I must admit he's certainly starting to make me feel a lot less uneasy about the ACON next year.

Hooefully he keeps this momentum up because I remember everytime I thought Hilario was starting to become a reliable back up he'd ruin it and have an absolute disasterclass, really hope this is different.

Sorry but who would you comfortable with? Oblak, Donnarumma?

Kepa gained his confidence back, haven't had a bad game under Tuchel. Obviously, Méndy is better and undoubtly he is the first choice but we cannot really keep better backup because of AFCON. ~15 years ago we had AFCONs when key players like Drogba, Mikel, Kalou or Essien were absent. Without Mendy and Mahrez we should be fine.

17 hours ago, nyikolajevics said:

Sorry but who would you comfortable with? Oblak, Donnarumma?

Kepa gained his confidence back, haven't had a bad game under Tuchel. Obviously, Méndy is better and undoubtly he is the first choice but we cannot really keep better backup because of AFCON. ~15 years ago we had AFCONs when key players like Drogba, Mikel, Kalou or Essien were absent. Without Mendy and Mahrez we should be fine.

The problem here is exactly with the bolded part above. We are challenging for silverware, and having a lesser option in goal for a significant amount of time can negatively affect our title challenges.

I'm a big fan of Mendy. For me he's even better the Petr, but the fact that he will keep on vanishing to attend AFCON does make him a lesser option the other *top keepers* you've mentioned.

3 hours ago, robsblubot said:

The problem here is exactly with the bolded part above. We are challenging for silverware, and having a lesser option in goal for a significant amount of time can negatively affect our title challenges.

I'm a big fan of Mendy. For me he's even better the Petr, but the fact that he will keep on vanishing to attend AFCON does make him a lesser option the other *top keepers* you've mentioned.

This is something every top club have to deal with. At least this situation is predictable. Any player can get injured and be sidelined for long time.. Look at Van Dijk.. Of course Liverpool didn’t have a back up as good as him. 

If our def keeps performing well we should be fine with Kepa. 

• 1 month later...

We all know talk that breakup with long term girlfriend was the reason for his poor form. I saw Spain Miss Universe for 2020 commenting on his Instagram posts just like tonight, checked her stories and she was at the Bridge.

So looks like one girl destroyed him and another one fixed him 😁

For all the flak he's got for his attitude in the past, his mentality under Tuchel is top notch.

Could become a first choice keeper at another club, but has quietly accepted a squad role and raises his level for without question.

13 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

We all know talk that breakup with long term girlfriend was the reason for his poor form. I saw Spain Miss Universe for 2020 commenting on his Instagram posts just like tonight, checked her stories and she was at the Bridge.

Why are you so interested on who is he with? 

13 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

This is Sun/Daily Mail level reporting

4 hours ago, Jase said:

Why are you so interested on who is he with? 

Not really, just saw it by accident. I dont even follow any players on social media, only Chelsea official account. 

4 hours ago, Strike said:

This is Sun/Daily Mail level reporting

I did graduated journalism 🤣

• 2 months later...
32 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Last 7 Chelsea games:

Kepa 3 games = 3 clean sheets

Mendy 3 games = conceded in every game (4 goals)

Bettinelli 1 game against 5th division team = conceded one goal

Kepa slowly paying back that £142m, lololol, he plays well in cups